barbecue season

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε

I used to (sort of) barbecue year-round, using my laptop; up until recently, it would get so hot that I could make s'mores on the keyboard.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
it's barbecue season? i didn't even know people hunted barbecues
Of course they do. All you need is a license to grill. wink

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
(I sometimes rub onion on our grill because I'm weird like that)
I find nothing truly weird with this. I am kind of curious as to why, though; does it add flavor or something?

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
What causes such different tastes in food when, biochemically, we're all more or less the same?

Culture is probably the biggest one. You get used to the tastes of some food combinations and find other tastes (or just the food itself) gross. Age would be another factor, since I've heard that the number of taste buds changes as you grow up and grow older. Genetics probably also plays a role.

Personal experience is Dikiyoba's last hypothesized factor. The taste (and smell) of foods triggers memories, which affects how we feel about the taste and therefore whether we like it or not. For instance, Dikiyoba once got the stomach flu right after eating ham and couldn't stand the taste of ham for several years after that. Dikiyoba can eat it now, but still doesn't like it very much.

I remember trying some taste strips that were only able to be tasted by people with a certain gene. I found it fascinating, unfortunately I was genetically suitable for tasting the strip. I could have just tried some hand sanitizer instead if I wanted that taste.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Personal experience is Dikiyoba's last hypothesized factor. The taste (and smell) of foods triggers memories, which affects how we feel about the taste and therefore whether we like it or not. For instance, Dikiyoba once got the stomach flu right after eating ham and couldn't stand the taste of ham for several years after that. Dikiyoba can eat it now, but still doesn't like it very much.

This is a type of classical conditioning, and is especially prominent when people are young. Food aversion pair a bad event with a mostly neutral food stimulus. As a personal example, I once threw up after eating steamed carrots for the first time, and it took me a long time to want to try them again. The mind can be tricked into thinking that correlation implies causation fairly easily.

Originally Posted By: Dantius

Psuedoscientific woo.

But surely you accept the idea that water crystals are influenced by music, that talking to plants helps them grow better, and that newspaper horoscopes accurately predict your future.

Clearly. I mean, those are just facts.

Psuedoscientific woo.

But surely you accept the idea that water crystals are influenced by music.

Has this one ever been scientifically tested? I mean, certain frequencies of sound cause things to resonate and all that, who's to say this one isn't scientifically possible?

No rigorous scientific test has found any proof that Dr. Emoto's work is based in fact. Anyway, it's not just music, it's messages taped to the bottles and positive thoughts directed at the water...

In a similar vein, it's entirely possible that people born at similar times of year would have similar personality traits due to shared events during major developmental phases. But the idea that the stars have something to do with it doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

My general attitude is of double edged skepticism. I don't generally accept something without "proof", but neither do I discredit it without the same.

Originally Posted By: Mod.
I remember trying some taste strips that were only able to be tasted by people with a certain gene. I found it fascinating, unfortunately I was genetically suitable for tasting the strip. I could have just tried some hand sanitizer instead if I wanted that taste.

PTC? I have a vial of test strips about a foot away from me, actually.

Originally Posted By: Homage

Psuedoscientific woo.

But surely you accept the idea that water crystals are influenced by music.

Has this one ever been scientifically tested? I mean, certain frequencies of sound cause things to resonate and all that, who's to say this one isn't scientifically possible?

2010 Doctor Who Christmas special, anyone?

And many frequencies will cause water to resonate, too. None of them are produced by human consciousness per se.

—Alorael, who supposes one could hook up an EEG to a speaker and get water to resonate that way. He's not sure it would be especially good for any purpose, but it wouldn't even be very technically challenging.