Parody: What if Spiderweb was acquired by EA?

Avadon

Please bear with me; a few tongue in cheek thoughts that struck me as I am playing Avadon. smile

What if Electronics Arts (EA), the publisher of Mass Effect, acquired Spiderweb Software?

Jeff would probably be promoted to a non-development role. Actual development would be farmed out to a subsidiary like EA Mumbai or EA Chongqing.

We would see an explosion in genres utilizing Spiderweb's IPs. Expect:

Avernum Underworld, a first person dungeon exploring game.

World of Avadon, an MMORPG.

Hands of Avadon 6, a squad based brawler where Hands lead their squads against the enemies of the Pact.

The Avernums, a wacky social simulation where you control a family trying to survive in the world of Avernum. Hijinks ensue.

Avernum 8, where the world of Avernum is presented in 3D, but is made much smaller and buggier. The ending will give the player a choice of three different explosions that differ only in their colours.

Then about a year later, Jeff will leave EA to start his own indie startup and the Spiderweb games would be released only in EA game compilations...

Quote:
The Avernums

The Avernites?

World of Avernum would be the result of Blizzard buying SW, though.

What I'd play the crap out of is Avernumcraft. No need to find a silly portal to the surface; just grab a pickaxe and start digging.

(Speaking of digging: Avernum Fortress. Strike the Earth.)

Yeah, I don't normally cheerlead for the team despite being thoroughly sucked into the Apple ecosystem, but I have a couple of pretty darn good 99¢ games that keep on giving me extra content in the form of free upgrades. I can't help feeling I must be viciously exploiting some poor alienated proletarian code monkeys, somewhere; but my inclination to pay for extra content has sensibly diminished.

You thought filesize bloat was bad before, Avernum II: Stupid Tagline will be 16 GiB plus another 10 for all the patches released since you downloaded it the first time.

Oh, and it'll require constant internet connectivity and trying to buy the game will involve entering seven codes and performing a demonic ritual.

On the bright side, you'll have unskippable video scenes of the EA logo, a ESRB rating, the nVidia logo, a copyright text-wall, and an ad for Avernum III: Noun of Adjective.

Originally Posted By: Avadon
What if Electronics Arts (EA), the publisher of Mass Effect, acquired Spiderweb Software?
No. Just n— sick
*runs off, then kneels down and pays tribute to the porcelain gods*

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
They'd better keep their hands off our GIFTS.
Well said.

In the (hopefully) unlikely event that Spiderweb does get bought up by a larger firm, I'd buy up the last few of Jeff's games I don't already own, and boycott anything new after the merger. Jeff's an awesome indie developer, and assimilation into a big corporation would only ruin the franchise.

Originally Posted By: Avadon
@No Elocution Here

Any news on when the iPad version of King of Dragon Pass will finally be released? I thought it was supposed to be early 2012...

Apparently they're still doing some final work on converting art assets over to the iPad's screen resolution.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
In the (hopefully) unlikely event that Spiderweb does get bought up by a larger firm, I'd buy up the last few of Jeff's games I don't already own, and boycott anything new after the merger. Jeff's an awesome indie developer, and assimilation into a big corporation would only ruin the franchise.

Really? You wouldn't give try the demo, first? I know that the new games likely would get ruined (although the remaking process would get streamlined, I imagine) there is still the chance that the new games would still be good. It all depends on how much control Jeff would retain, I suppose.

At the very least I'd try the demo, and grumble about the (inevitable) flood of newbie posters.

Originally Posted By: meAzuma
If it's going to be done like Skyrim graphically, why not just let Bethesda do it all? Sure it had some bad times(horse armor), but not as bad with Bioware and the EA-hate bandwagon.

I like to imagine that in 20 years when video games are more like emersive VR, Jeff will remake Avernum into the outdated Skyrim engine.

Originally Posted By: Mysterious Man
I imagine that there would be a patch where you can make Erika appear in the nude during the game.

Or Rentar.

Hubba hubba.

would need to be very isomtric graphics since on SW's engines females are slightly different than men and all Vahnatais looked (at least on 2nd trilogy) very much same.