Secrets of the Internet

Actaeon

Originally Posted By: φ
Light minutes, actually. Still cool. I only wish I had the proper equipment to observe such a thing.

See, if I'd have stopped to think, I wouldn't have said "years".

Of course, if I had stopped to think. I also wouldn't have chosen to do a degree in English, right Dantius?

Anyone who can truly get a clear sense of the scales of the cosmos must have a mutant brain. I worked out a picture I liked, once, but at a certain point it fails badly.

If you make a tiny dot for the sun, then the planets are all pinpricks to scale, but you could fit them all in to scale around the sun-dot on a good-sized desktop. So you can get a decent handle on the solar system.

On this scale, a light year is about a kilometer, or roughly half a mile.

So on this scale, the nearest other star system is about 4 kilometers away, with nothing at all (as far as we know) in between. And that's roughly how the galaxy goes on: every few kilometers or so, another dot, plus whatever pinpricks it may possess.

The problem is that the galaxy goes on, at this scale, for something like 100,000 kilometers. I can't picture that at all.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Y? Bcaus, IDK he's on 3rd & IDC
I think you just completely missed the point, oh well maybe it's more of a physicist thing or maybe it's just a me thing IDK.

don't tell me you haven't watched

Very nice.
I don't think that up to this day I have ever seen that film.
But you will agree that it requires some updates

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Anyone who can truly get a clear sense of the scales of the cosmos must have a mutant brain. I worked out a picture I liked, once, but at a certain point it fails badly.

See, it's that word "truly" that does me in. I know there are impossibly large objects in even more impossibly large spaces, and that's probably enough for me.

On a related note, if anybody needs me I'll be in my cave.

Yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that nobody is really going to do too much better than that, anyway. Though it may be worth knowing the rough comparisons between planetary sizes, interplanetary distances, and interstellar distances. For that I like my dots-and-kilometers picture. Beyond that it's just too hard.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Y? Bcaus, IDK he's on 3rd & IDC
I think you just completely missed the point, oh well maybe it's more of a physicist thing or maybe it's just a me thing IDK.

don't tell me you haven't watched
We watched this (and the original 'rough draft' version) in physics. It made me realize even more so that we are a speck in a massive amount of nothing, and we are made of tiny specks with massive amounts of nothing around them.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
It's the last one to occur in our lifetime, unless you're willing to try for a longevity record; the next one isn't until 2117.
Challenge accepted.
Good luck. Mad props if you do make it, even more so if you actually see it, and especially if you still have the brain capacity to know what's going on.

Originally Posted By: φ
Light minutes, actually. Still cool. I only wish I had the proper equipment to observe such a thing.
There's a phone app listed on the main site. The site also lists several viewing ideas here.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that's a gross breach of copyright. The entire trilogy is up there.

Point taken. Even though the author is dead, and we aren't selling the work, the Code of Conduct is clear on this issue. If people still want to find the chapter, I edited the post so they can find it easily enough.

Something about Spiderweb Software has made me realize it might just be bad to steal from witty artists who write long and involved stories...

(Like, I mean, I'm all for fair use, and I wouldn't mind at all if the length of allowable excerpts was increased, and copyright itself was shorted, and all that jazz. But do we really want to go down the road of "breaching is okay is the creators are well off"?)

(Also, I didn't mean that as a request to edit out the link, 'cause I ain't a moderator, but I guess that's what the CoC says.)

Would it be fair use if it were just a chapter posted, with no way to find the rest? I'm not a lawyer, but I think the answer is no. On the other hand, I think the implication probably should be yes: a chapter of HGttG should be good for getting people to buy the books, or at least get them from the library. It's free advertising.

—Alorael, who will set his ponderings aside and agree that the CoC is clear and that link has to be banished.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
But do we really want to go down the road of "breaching is okay is the creators are well off"?

I didn't quite mean that. I actually make a point of paying for my music, books, audiobooks, videos... the whole nine yards. I have trouble getting worked up over other people's infringement, though. There are worse crimes being committed, and sometimes (say, with drugs and genetics) copyright works against us.

CoC wise, I think not linking to illegal copies is probably fair.

Originally Posted By: Homage
It made me realize even more so that we are a speck in a massive amount of nothing, and we are made of tiny specks with massive amounts of nothing around them.

From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us.

(Listening to that speech always gives me a warm shiver.)

It's a weird universe, all right. It's a lot bigger than it would need to be, just to be a setting for us. It's got a lot more detail than we will ever notice, too. I do believe that our existence has meaning and purpose, but we certainly can't be the whole purpose of the universe. What all that extra space and extra detail is for, though, I can't imagine. Lots of aliens, presumably, but even that seems to leave a lot of universe left over.

J.B.S. Haldane famously answered a question about what biology revealed about God with, "An inordinate fondness for beetles." What physics apparently reveals is God's inordinate fondness for vacuum.

I do believe that our existence has meaning and purpose, but we certainly can't be the whole purpose of the universe. What all that extra space and extra detail is for, though, I can't imagine. Lots of aliens, presumably, but even that seems to leave a lot of universe left over.

We are the lab rats of the universe. That's why there are so many reports of aliens probing humans that they capture. smile

J.B.S. Haldane famously answered a question about what biology revealed about God with, "An inordinate fondness for beetles." What physics apparently reveals is God's inordinate fondness for vacuum.

When your canvas is infinitely huge there's bound to be some white space. But whether it be the vast universe or the double helix, I view God as an artist. He writes the stories, paints the set, composes the music, performs the special effects... He sees everything down to the tiniest detail and I think God has a thing for fractals myself. The cabbage is my favorite.

Perhaps God is an artist. That would explain why he's not such a great engineer.

—Alorael, who has another rant saved up about how there's really not a better way to do drug development than having companies reap the money for taking on the risks. Or rather, there might be, but no one seems to like the idea of having taxpayer dollars cover that risk directly.

I'll second your rant and raise you one on the petro-chem industry, one of whose major customers are those pharma companies who take on tremendous risk and rigorous testing in order to comply with extensive regulations.

On second look, after trying to put a number on the percentage of refinery production actually used to produce pharmaceuticals, I ran headlong onto this little document on the usage of energy by manufacturers. In other words, it not just the raw material, it also is the energy needed in order to maintain the environmental conditions to produce a safe product. It's amazing what goes on beneath the surface impressions.

Quote:
—Alorael, who has another rant saved up about how there's really not a better way to do drug development than having companies reap the money for taking on the risks. Or rather, there might be, but no one seems to like the idea of having taxpayer dollars cover that risk directly.

Do it!

Dikiyoba wouldn't mind using taxpayer dollars to fund drug development research. Bonus points if those funds are created by diverting money away from defense spending.