Today I learned...

Zummi

Once upon a time, Google let you translate from German to German to beatbox. Now I can't get it to work.

—Alorael, who has enjoyed getting directions to Hawaii from the continental US (why that particular point to launch your kayak?) and searching for recursion (and recursion and recursion).

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Searching for a Beijing-Tokyo route instructs you to "Jet-Ski across the Pacific Ocean", which is my personal favorite.

There used to be one from Cedar Rapids, IA, to Paris, France, where Google Maps told you to swim the Atlantic. I can't get it now, so I may have the wrong city.

It actually used to be that way for any trip across the Atlantic. I think they got rid of it altogether, though. Maybe someone sued them. I suspect that's why they stopped offering "Creed" as an alternate search for "the worst band of all time". You can still use "the answer the life to universe and everything" as an actual number in the built in calculator, though.

elgooG was never actually made by Google, so it's one of those things that you could get to with "I'm feeling lucky." And you still can!

—Alorael, who rarely feels lucky on the internet. The likelihood of accidentally bearing witness to things man was not meant to know is too high.

• 1 month later...

That's the third mention of recursion, which is not the same as redundancy.

—Alorael, who found out he knows the guy who programmed the "let it snow" easter egg. It wasn't just a programmer's funny idea, it was mandated from above. Google has humor as a corporate style.

Originally Posted By: Darth Ernie
Originally Posted By: Combat Truffle
That's the third mention of recursion, which is not the same as redundancy.

sorry i just skimmed the thread quickly and missed it
So it's just a repetitively redundant repetition of redundancy? tongue

Originally Posted By: Frederick the flame-nosed fyora
—Alorael, who found out he knows the guy who programmed the "let it snow" easter egg.
Cool!

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
As well as lots of other holidays that do not belong to the 2 approved state religions of the United States.

And I thought the only excuse for holidays for the 2 "approved" state religions of the western world only involved apathy for the lesser man and corporate greed.

• 4 months later...