Another intresting poll

Trenton.

A G1 Geneforge user could steamroll just about any opposition in their path, no contest.

Plus, it's made quite explicit that Avernum/Exile is a magic-poor area, without that many magic or enchanted items, whereas Geneforge has magic all over the place in a vast variety of forms and functions, making it was more tactically complex and more useful in combat.

Let's see. Exile characters can be literally immune to damage with high enough Blessing, AND have only a 1 in 101 chance of dying when killed, just from stats alone. Geneforge characters can shape, but will have no more than 7 allies. Exile characters can summon demons, archmages and vahnatai who will summon more creatures ad naseum; or they can just summon an ur-basilisk, the traditional, petrifying kind, and win outright.

By a consideration of mechanics, characters in Exile can get much, much more powerful. Sanctuary can make all those shaped critters irrelevant. Avatar can make them dead. Mass Charm can make them an asset to the Exile team. And there's the simple problem of math. There are six Exiles against one shaper. Creations just aren't as strong as PCs.

By analysis of worlds, I think the edge still goes to Exile. Rentar-Ihrno showed that something like shaping is possible on a massive scale, but Exile also has teleportation, quickfire, magic barriers, an immense variety of buffs, the ability to summon creatures that summon more creatures that summon more creatures, doomguards... Magic is simply more powerful in Exile.

—Alorael, who thinks the Shapers conquered their world because they had a monopoly on the kind of magic that produces armies. The Empire conquered its world by having armies and very impressive arcane might on top of it. But it's also worth considering how powerful people get. Erika, Rentar, and Garzahd are examples of extraordinarily powerful individuals. The powers of Geneforge are groups, not individuals; even Ghaldring relies on his allies. The Geneforge 1 PC can conquer the world by becoming a kind of Erika. Erika, in contrast, was defeated and banished by Erika-like mages in numbers.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
In Exile it's possible to summon vampires who end up summoning other vampires.

That's actually just an Avernum thing. Vampires aren't summonable in Exile, and in fact anything that has even low-level mage spells is only summonable by the strongest summoning magic, presumably to prevent exactly that kind of summoning chain.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
In Exile it's possible to summon vampires who end up summoning other vampires.

That's actually just an Avernum thing. Vampires aren't summonable in Exile, and in fact anything that has even low-level mage spells is only summonable by the strongest summoning magic, presumably to prevent exactly that kind of summoning chain.

I beg to differ. Capture Soul/Simulacrum. I'm all for Exile, so many spell choices, and many powerful ones at that. Even some of the more weaker ones can take care of the creations.

Originally Posted By: Cairo Jim
You did mention that you couldnt summon a vampire, which I was arguing against.

I said they weren't summonable, not that you couldn't summon them. Each monster type has a parameter to determine whether they can be summoned by summoning spells, and if so, which summoning spells can summon them. This doesn't affect Capture Soul, which uses a different system to determine its success, making it possible for Simulacrum to summon non-summonable monsters.

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, shaper servile.
But you have to relize that all of your characters use the geneforge, except for maybe one or two, and then they also know all these usefull spells too, like, lightning aura, and icebolt, and they can make like, six seven war tralls or drakons each.

Yes, but Exile has Quickfire, Shockwave, Wall of Blades, Avatar, Divine Thud, Major Summoning, CS/Simulacrum, etc.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
If you don't like the vampire example, demons can DEFINITELY summon other demons in Exile and repeat indefinitely.
Nuh-uh! Daemon is a level 6 mage spell, Demons have level 5 magic. So unless your in BoE and the designer deliberately changes their magic to level 6, that chain isn't really possible.

EDIT: Well, unless you meant Demons summoning Hordlings. But that chain isn't a long one.

I'm 100% sure I remember Demons summoning Demons on occasion, not just Hordlings. I think the issue is that Demons can be summoned by Summoning, which is a level 5 mage spell.

sorry but i think this is a thing you're remembering from Avernum, not Exile

Impossible: I never played any of the first Avernum trilogy games long enough to cast Daemon -- which doesn't even exist in Avernum, does it?

Anyway, maybe this is something that changed between E2 and E3. I know that monster spells were seriously revamped between E1 and E2, as if you look at monster stats in E1, even Erika and Grah-Hoth are listed as having just 5 skill in mage and priest, spells despite having access to upper level spells when in combat.

Impossible: I never played any of the first Avernum trilogy games long enough to cast Daemon -- which doesn't even exist in Avernum, does it?

it doesn't, but Arcane Summon can summon demons in BoA and they can pull the same summon-chain trick as vampires

i will remain unconvinced that there is an Exile game in which demons can summon demons until somebody provides screenshots

"The Mad Monk Squad put their right hands together, and with one voice they shouted 'Avatar'! They rushed into the room spamming Divine Thuds on the dervishes, and Null Magic fields on the Rakshasi. The fighter/priests then charged with flaming blades and singing swords to thrash their foe, the strongest one taking on Garzahd himself. The three mage/priests continued the barrage of Thuds with a Field of Blades for effect, all the while keeping the Rakshasi helpless with fields of Nullity.

It was a bloody mess, but then again, this form of cleaning house always is."

Originally Posted By: Micawber
Originally Posted By: Trenton the dragon lord
God harehunter

Now that's a promotion.

!!!Yike's!!! I don't need that kind of promotion. I'm already a Database Administrator.

Originally Posted By: Trenton the dragon lord
God harehunter, are you an author?

Only in little snippets. This little dream sequence was the finale to Exile II, Crystal Souls.

Unfortunately, my pun is mightier than my pen.

Unfortunately, I am only an amateur. Almost all of the stuff I come up with is context based only; spur of the moment stuff. It is difficult to relate a pun after the fact. You have to retell all the stuff leading up to it so you can rebuild the context.

I prefer the hit and pun approach.