Upcoming feats, and things to come

Trenton.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
Sarachim invented the diamond-toothed chainsaw at the last Zombies! session. I'd rather have one of those. tongue

I learned two things today:
1. Diamond-toothed chainsaws already exist, and are used to cut through stone.
2. They can't cut through soft materials, making them worthless against zombies.

Needless to say, I was devastated.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim

2. They can't cut through soft materials, making them worthless against zombies.

to some extent this is true of chainsaws in general. a chainsaw can mess you up, of course, but they tend to catch in soft tissue, making wounds less deep than they otherwise would be. cutting yourself with a chainsaw is actually one of the less serious hazards of using one

Yes, there are diamond-tipped chainsaws. They're also mostly for industrial uses, but apparently sometimes the best way to saw through stone is still with a chain.

—Alorael, who wants a diamond-tipped chainsaw where the chain is still plain metal and the handle is encrusted with diamonds.

I find it amusing that you guys seem so knowledgeable about chain saws, yet I'm betting that none of you have used one; I might be wrong though.

To add to this discussion: chainsaws are an extremely versatile tool; they're not just for making rough cuts. One can, as I have, become skilled at using them for timber-frame construction, and even standard stick-frame construction. The key is to have a sharp chain, and a saw that starts after one or two pulls; nobody likes a pull-start that doesn't start.

Originally Posted By: VCH
I find it amusing that you guys seem so knowledgeable about chain saws, yet I'm betting that none of you have used one; I might be wrong though.

To add to this discussion: chainsaws are an extremely versatile tool; they're not just for making rough cuts. One can, as I have, become skilled at using them for timber-frame construction, and even standard stick-frame construction. The key is to have a sharp chain, and a saw that starts after one or two pulls; nobody likes a pull-start that doesn't start.

I have a light chainsaw I bought for gardening work that I almost never use. A Sawz-All is lighter, more versatile, doesn't require a cord, and is easier on the arms, all while being just as powerful and useful for light and medium work. And I very much doubt that my small electric chainsaw would be very useful at all for any serious work, like felling a tree or something, so it pretty much gathers dust in my garage.

My dad has a chainsaw. After our "hurricane"* my dad found it necessary to replace the old one (the chain kept slipping) with an upgraded model. But no, I have not used one.

I have actually heard of people using chainsaws to carve ice sculptures. Apparently the professionals can produce incredibly intricate sculptures in remarkably short times. I'm sure

can back me up on this.

*it wasn't really more than a long storm in my area

"I have used a chainsaw and am therefore not as ridiculous as VCH's post implies."

What? I dunno why that first sentence has quotation marks - I actually have used (and own) a chainsaw, though mine came with the garage on my old house. All I've used it for is cutting random things one time when we found it.

Quote:
And I very much doubt that my small electric chainsaw would be very useful at all for any serious work, like felling a tree or something, so it pretty much gathers dust in my garage.

Depends on the saw, of course, but I've used our small electric chainsaw to cut down two or three smallish trees.

Originally Posted By: Skwish-E
Cut it out now!

It's a sickness I inherited from my dad. One time he called me to tell me had P'd on the floor. When I asked him why he had done that, he proudly explained that he was in the kitchen fixing dinner when opened a bag of frozen peas which exploded and went all over the floor. He had pea'd on the floor!
I am cursed to remember that for the rest of my life.