Do I really just suck at these games?

Death Knight

When I first started playing SW games(the first Avernums), my character creation tactic was to pick people I knew and build them into characters, just for the amusement of "who would be awesome in a fight?" It worked fairly well, and this is still my go-to tactic after "if I was a singleton and could actually hold my own in a fight..."

in exile I named them after their abilities. So at first it was Fight, Bash'n'archer, Pole, Mage, Priest and MageII. [mage and II eventually changed to Magell]

that eventually evolved into Fight, Pole, Mage and Priest.

lately i have just left the default names.

well....up until Avadon where my main character got named Maloonga. [not sure why but thats what it is]

Maybe I ought to try naming my party something hilarious like that, seeing as I usually just forget about their names and regard every character by their roles anyways.

On a replay, I mean. Though he has a tremendous sense of humor, I just wouldn't feel right sending Jeff a test party with all characters named from Moe's Tavern skits...

In the 'normal' Avernum games, I try to pick names that would work in-universe, though I admit that by Avernum 4 I was running out of good Slith and Nephil names. I've long since doing that for BoA parties; like many others, I pick Archer, Warrior, Priest, and Mage as names. My lvl 250 singleton is named CaptainAdventure, though.

Mass Effect players: Tired of everyone calling your character by his/her last name or rank? Then pick "Commander" as your first name. Suddenly, everyone around you seems very laid back and informal.

--------------------

"Commander, I-"

"That's Mr(s). Shepard to you."

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Mass Effect players: Tired of everyone calling your character by his/her last name or rank? Then pick "Commander" as your first name. Suddenly, everyone around you seems very laid back and informal.

--------------------
"Commander, I-"

I had to take Yahtzee's advice and name one of my characters Gobblecoque and outfit him in pink armor.

He was a Renegade, of course.

In the 'normal' Avernum games, I try to pick names that would work in-universe, though I admit that by Avernum 4 I was running out of good Slith and Nephil names. I've long since doing that for BoA parties; like many others, I pick Archer, Warrior, Priest, and Mage as names. My lvl 250 singleton is named CaptainAdventure, though.

--------------------
"Commander, I-"

Come to think of it, you could give DA2 a dose of GI Joe with the first name "General"...

Originally Posted By: Dantius

--------------------
"Commander, I-"

I had to take Yahtzee's advice and name one of my characters Gobblecoque and outfit him in pink armor.

He was a Renegade, of course.

I've always had fun with how hilariously easy it is to create a horrifying travesty of a face.

My Avernum parties usually include a Slith with a human name, like Lou or Carl. I suppose I could make up a backstory about how the character's name is really Ssssssssth but everyone calls him Frank or whatever.

My priest is usually called Cracker, because in 1985 or so I had a friend who always called his AD&D clerics Cracker. I also maintain his tradition of giving the Crackers numbered names so there's Cracker II, III, and so on. I have no idea where that name came from, maybe he was in a hurry and there was a box of Ritz sitting there.

Nephils always gets a name like a cat sound -- Mrrrrrrrr -- or the name of a type of cat -- Tiger. Then I get bored with that and combine the two, and now I've had a bunch of Nephil swordsmen named Miger. And then of course there was Miger II, III, IV, etc.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
I nearly always name my characters after members of this forum. In the Avernum 6 game that I am playing, I have Tyranicus, Nicothodes, Ephesos, and Arancaytar.

So what are their builds?

—Alorael, who tends to use the same names over and over, but there's gradual shift over time. Marrol the caster and Tss-thessai are his oldest holdouts going all the way back to E2. In E1 he went with John, Ariel, Samantha, and... he's not even sure of the rest.

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
I wish I still got excited by birthdays. :'(

Yeah, after 21 it's basically just a reminder that you're running out of time before your body turns to crap and you'll never become a rock/movie star and get to roll around in a sea of beautiful women like you had always wanted. Well, maybe that's just me.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Originally Posted By: Nikki.
I wish I still got excited by birthdays. :'(

Yeah, after 21 it's basically just a reminder that you're running out of time before your body turns to crap and you'll never become a rock/movie star and get to roll around in a sea of beautiful women like you had always wanted. Well, maybe that's just me.

Well, if you play your cards right, you can still roll around in a pile of money Scrooge McDuck style when you get older.

On a semi-related note, it's always bothered me that Mick Jagger can still sleep with any women he wants. The dude's like 75, surely a exceptionally or even just moderately-good looking woman could do a lot better than a decrepit old man who uses more drugs than Charlie Sheen.