Need something new to play

dave s

Well, Avadon is done and I probably won't replay. It was nice, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that different even with making different decisions.

Next game on the horizon is probably Elder Scrolls V in November. That's a long time away.

Any suggestions? PC preferable. I've tried to play some retro games, Might and Magic series, Arcanum, but couldn't get into them anymore. Arcanum seems cool, but the movement speed is painfully slow with no ability to scroll to the other side of the screen and set a way point. Such a small thing, but such a major annoyance.

I like RPGs, but get picky sometimes. I like Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age: Origins but not 2, Risen was ok. Haven't tried Witcher 1 or 2 but I've heard they are annoying and cliche. Two Worlds 2 was boring. Love Elder Scrolls 3 and 4, and Fall Out 3 and New Vegas.

I liked Avernum but could never get into Geneforge. The story was cool, but I hated that I was constantly having to remake my party. I hate too many options for party members. I know that's my personal nitpick. But I end up obsessing over the best choices and then you get access to a new option and have to obsess all over again.

Okay, well, I appreciate suggestions.

I'm not sure who told you that about The Witcher. If you liked the decision-making aspects of Avadon, The Witcher has a lot more decisions and they tend to have more meaningful consequences. The combat may or may not be your thing and there are parts that drag a little (but no more than parts of DA:O did), but I'd say it's worth trying. The expanded edition is available for like $15 now, so you don't really have a lot to lose.

It seems that you're fairly into Bethesda and Bioware games. I'd recommend you try some of their older games. Try Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall, which is now freeware distributed from the Bethesda website.

Failing that, try some of the Bioware classics, like Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the Old Republic, or maybe even Baldur's Gate if you're feeling retro enough. Though not Bioware, Planescape: Torment is a classic, but it won't run on some newer machines- I've had problems installing and running it.

And, of course, System Shock 2 is arguably the best game of all time, though I don't think it's freeware and it's damn difficult to find in stores. Maybe Good Old Games has it.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
It seems that you're fairly into Bethesda and Bioware games. I'd recommend you try some of their older games. Try Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall, which is now freeware distributed from the Bethesda website.

Failing that, try some of the Bioware classics, like Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the Old Republic, or maybe even Baldur's Gate if you're feeling retro enough. Though not Bioware, Planescape: Torment is a classic, but it won't run on some newer machines- I've had problems installing and running it.

And, of course, System Shock 2 is arguably the best game of all time, though I don't think it's freeware and it's damn difficult to find in stores. Maybe Good Old Games has it.

Good Old Games does not have System Shock 2, but it does have Planescape Torment, and all the other Infinity engine games, which means, you can play them on modern systems.

Originally Posted By: Lazarus.
Try BioShock if you don't mind a more FPS like game. I would highly recommend Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale or any of the other Infinity engine games, but honestly if you hated the movement in Arcanum you might wind up tearing out your hair trying to play those games.

In those games, you can scroll across the map and click where you want to go. In Arcanum you can't really do that and have to constantly click to cross and area. That's my big complaint.

Have you tried Dark Disciples 2 from dodgysoft?

The graphics are pretty basic, a bit like Exile really, but its got a good story and lots of levels and things. And is freeware.

I found it after finishing most of Spiderwebs games, which i love and i quite enjoyed it

Eschalon is a cheap Jeff knockoff, and Book II is just a knock off of a knock off. It's not worth the trouble, unless maybe you think the slightly improved graphics (still isometric just prettier looking) are worth the $20 (25?), but it's hardly the caliber of Geneforge in terms of story or some of the earlier Avernums/Nethergate.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
I tried the demo of Eschalon as well, and couldn't really get past how slow the character walked. Seriously, it was like he was wading through quicksand.
Bool 2 fixed the movement problem for older computers. The games aren't as big as a Spiderweb game.

Try these-

Knights of the Chalice-Another indie rpg. This time its an indie d and d rpg that tweaks the rules a bit.

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/index.htm

Temple of elemental evil-This game was released on good old games. Its a good game, the only reason i cant play it much is ive used and abused all games with d and d rules. Cant enjoy it anymore frown

Lionheart-This game i didnt play much because it was similar to fallout but it was still a really cool concept and also on good old games for cheap.