Will there ever be another Geneforge game?

Denizen of Terrestia

Jeff hasn't mentioned any plans for another Geneforge game, but he may change his mind. So far all he has mentioned is updating his older games to run on newer computers. If he follows his past behavior it will mean a remake with some new areas to explore and an update of the combat system to add features and graphics from more recent games.

Jeff has mentioned an idea for a possible prequel to Avernum.

Since Avadon seems to be successful, there will probably be more in that series.

I don't think Jeff has any plans to write a new Genegorge game in the forseeable future; I believe he said #5 would be the last in the series. If he ever does make a Genegorge 6, it'll have to wait until after he rewrites the first five, which won't happen for several years at least.

In the meantime, you can always write some Geneforge-based BoA scenarios.

No, Geneforge is pretty much over. Conceivably some day Jeff will somehow come back to it, maybe even make a Geneforge VI. But not for years at least. He'll do a few Avadons, to finish that story. Then probably move on to something else entirely.

But really, where is left for Geneforge to go? Maybe, nowhere but back. What about Geneforge 0? You would play some lowly apprentice on Sucia Island, as Danette neared completion of her finest creation. I could see that being an interesting game for Jeff to make, once he's been away from vlish for a few years. Still a long shot, though.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
No, Geneforge is pretty much over. Conceivably some day Jeff will somehow come back to it, maybe even make a Geneforge VI. But not for years at least. He'll do a few Avadons, to finish that story. Then probably move on to something else entirely.

But really, where is left for Geneforge to go? Maybe, nowhere but back. What about Geneforge 0? You would play some lowly apprentice on Sucia Island, as Danette neared completion of her finest creation. I could see that being an interesting game for Jeff to make, once he's been away from vlish for a few years. Still a long shot, though.

There could always be more plot added frown

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I could see that being an interesting game for Jeff to make, once he's been away from vlish for a few years. Still a long shot, though.

I don't understand what DV did to Jeff that was so terrible he swore off Geneforge for years...

Feisty tentacles of pain. smile

Why would one ever want to be away from Vlish?

I agree that the series has come to a pretty conclusive end. More so than with A6, let alone E/A3 and Blades. A prequel would be interesting, though I'm not sure Sucia Island is the best place for it. There doesn't seem to be much room for questing and violence in the barring of Sucia. I think some new setting would work better.

Sucia: Rise of the Shapers

Go back to when the first Shapers experimented with creations and altering their enemies. Relive those exciting days when they first started playing with essence. Plenty of room for fights and quests against the other people on that island.

It's got to be more interesting than running errands as an apprentice just before the island got barred.

Naw, I think a Danette-era Sucia game could be really cool and complex. The classic Geneforge rebels-vs.-Shapers theme is already there, in effect, since it's pretty clear that Danette was a rogue Shaper. So do you support her, or try to thwart her?

You could begin as her loyal underling, but you might also begin as some sort of orthodox Shaper sleeper agent explicitly tasked to keep an eye on her. Or as a junior member of an inspection team, trying to discover her secrets. Or as an archaeologist exploring the ancient ruins, who merely happens to notice that the nearby research facility is doing odd things.

On the Danette side: maybe she needs a few critical things to complete the Geneforge, and somehow needs you to fetch them. Maybe something from the ancient ruins, even? Just where did Danette get her ideas from?

Evidently the Sholai are supposed to be centuries in the future. But conceivably the Sholai had also sent earlier expeditions. Do they contribute anything?

Then there were those necromantic experiments by Tek, troubles with the power core, the arena, and some drayks. A lot of stuff, actually. It could be very interesting. And even for veterans of the later games, who remember Unbound and Eyebeasts and Aura of Flames, one thing would still make the original setting impressive: the knowledge that Danette's original Geneforge was a heck of a lot more powerful than any of the later models.

Originally Posted By: Denizen of Terrestia
I mean with the ability to make Creations, there is a lot in the world of the Shapers that is left undiscovered..

WARNING: SPOILERS FROM G1.

Quote from G1 God ending: "...however the world is young."

A game set in the past of the Shapers would be verey interesting; no Battle Alphas, no creation Golems, only proto-ornks, magic shades, serviles, fyoras, big magician empire coalitions that existed before the Shapers, with mabey a Bibilical approch to it, with plagues of frogs, lice, red water, with an artila being Moses' staff, plagues of Grasshoppers turned by the Shapers into the first Glaahks stripping crops from their greenery... Ultimate power int he hands of men and possible come back (as a minor player perhaps)of Heustess !
Also I'm ever so happy that Avadon is going well for Jeff!

(EDIT: What Randomizer said last week. Teach me not to read to the end of the thread...)

But really, where is left for Geneforge to go? Maybe, nowhere but back. What about Geneforge 0?

Maybe way back, to the origins of shaping on Sucia Island. The stuff about creating diseases and warping your enemies as an attack, plus shaping being less of a well-developed science, could allow for new types of gameplay.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the remakes of A1 and A2, since I've never been able to put up with A1's primitive interface -- especially the lack of a quest log -- long enough to even finish the demo.

Originally Posted By: othersean
(EDIT: What Randomizer said last week. Teach me not to read to the end of the thread...)

But really, where is left for Geneforge to go? Maybe, nowhere but back. What about Geneforge 0?

Maybe way back, to the origins of shaping on Sucia Island. The stuff about creating diseases and warping your enemies as an attack, plus shaping being less of a well-developed science, could allow for new types of gameplay.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the remakes of A1 and A2, since I've never been able to put up with A1's primitive interface -- especially the lack of a quest log -- long enough to even finish the demo.

I just want to go back for the sake of going back, for the thrill of adventure (I've already tried Avernum, it didn't quite do it for me) and the vlish. But if I had to have some plot-based excuse for going back, I'd do one about the shutdown of Sucia, and the unrest it apparently caused.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Originally Posted By: Darth Ernie
heh. try exile 1. its the only game i never got into due to graphics
But it has the same graphics as Exile 2 & 3. Well, mostly.

No. Exile I felt like like I was playing on a chalkboard. Little use of color, those weird dots on the mini-map, bleh. Exile 3 had far more color and GUI tweaks.

Originally Posted By: Venom
No. Exile I felt like like I was playing on a chalkboard. Little use of color, those weird dots on the mini-map, bleh. Exile 3 had far more color and GUI tweaks.
Oh, true, the GUI was less sparkly... I was just thinking of the terrain/monster graphics.