I laughed...

Dantius

Not always. There are gems like Pearls Before Swine and Foxtrot. And, once upon a time, Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side.

—Alorael, who just thinks that the newspaper is home to the lowest common denominator. You won't find horrible things. You also won't find amazing niche things.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
FC/FN is uncanny. My opinion of Nietzsche is minimally perturbed, but The Family Circus will never be the same. The characters really look as though this is what they were actually saying.

The creepiest one I've run across so far is this one. It is incredibly uncanny.

Luckily, none of the newspapers I get have TFC in them, and I don't even like it much anyways, so I guess any changes in my opinion are irrelevant.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
The creepiest one I've run across so far is this one.
eek

Congratulations Dantius, you're the first person in a long time to come that close to creeping me out. Happy birthday too, BTW.

For one even creepier, click here.

Family Circus is an okay comic as long as you don't take it too seriously. However, if the quotes are any indication, I think Nietzsche had some serious issues.

Originally Posted By: Inappropriate Measures
Not always. There are gems like Pearls Before Swine and Foxtrot. And, once upon a time, Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side.

—Alorael, who just thinks that the newspaper is home to the lowest common denominator. You won't find horrible things. You also won't find amazing niche things.

FoxTrot is a gem? Also, mathematically speaking, the Lowest Common Denominator is a relatively high number.

Originally Posted By: Impudent Strumpet!
Originally Posted By: Fflewddur Fflam: Alchemist
Also, mathematically speaking, the Lowest Common Denominator is a relatively high number.

Really, or are you just saying that? Because, you know, by definition, it's the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR. So, yeah. Low.

Actually, the lowest common denominator can, in fact, be quite large, especially when working with large sets of prime numbers. For example the LCD of 1/5, 1/7, 1/12, and 1/13 would be 5460, since that's the smallest number you can use as the denominator to rewrite those numbers as fractions with the same denominator (1092/5460, 780/5460, 455/5460, and 420/5460)

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Actually, the lowest common denominator can, in fact, be quite large, especially when working with large sets of prime numbers. For example the LCD of 1/5, 1/7, 1/12, and 1/13 would be 5460, since that's the smallest number you can use as the denominator to rewrite those numbers as fractions with the same denominator (1092/5460, 780/5460, 455/5460, and 420/5460)

Okay, not being a mathematician, I'll take your word for it (and I'm not so hopeless has to be unable to follow your numbers), but "is" and "can be" are pretty different.

Originally Posted By: Fflewddur Fflam
Originally Posted By: Alorael

FoxTrot is a gem? Also, mathematically speaking, the Lowest Common Denominator is a relatively high number.
Maybe not so much artistically, but it had/has pretty consistent writing (Bill Amend is semi-retired; only does Sunday comics). The comic is highly regarded in geek circles. How many syndicated cartoonists make guest strips for webcomics? Or make accessible jokes about Taylor series, or The Tomb of Horrors?

Of course, now I have to ask this question in turn:

Pearls before Swine is a gem? (I'd probably like it more if I only read syndicated comics -- what's avant garde on the newspaper is passe on the sceen.)

I like Pearls Before Swine. It's not brilliant, but it's reliably funny. Maybe less so now; I haven't read it regularly for several years. It's been especially good at lambasting everything, especially other comics.

The least common denominator of a bunch of integers is necessarily quite low if you have low integers. As soon as you have two numbers that are coprime, the least common denominator is 1.

—Alorael, who envisions society containing a fair number of twos and threes. Maybe some fives. Numbers might go up to, oh, eleven, but it doesn't matter. Two and three have ruined it for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...