Good day! & a few questions

Kaldurenik

Hello everyone!

Im looking for a rpg or a few rpg's to play. My main problem is that i want a physical copy of games that i buy. I think i noticed that most of the games allow this. However my question is the following:

What kind of case (plastic, paper, small hard plastic case? and what is the box art?

Do anyone know? Or perhaps someone could show a picture?

Thanks for any help!

Oh and what game should i start with?

I believe Jeff still distributes a CD (no box or anything like that since this is a mom and pop company) if you pay extra. Quite honestly, Jeff is really good about getting people new passwords if they switch computers or their hard drive crashes.

As to which one to start with, that is matter of personal preference. I would say it is a good time to get into Avadon, since it is new. The other series of Avernum and Geneforge are, as of now, finished.

They are just disks in a plastic case. I replaced the case Jeff used with some square cases, all the ones I got were round and didn't fit on my shelf very well. Depending on when you've bought them some are just burned disks are some are pressed. I generally prefer the pressed disks (for collectors sake) like the trilogy disks.

n184802028_31221044_2536.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kaldurenik
What kind of case (plastic, paper, small hard plastic case? and what is the box art?
Do anyone know? Or perhaps someone could show a picture?

Actually, Jeff's planning to release the Windows version of Avadon in a professionally designed hardcase like all the major companies, and he's currently trying to get several large retailers (Gamestop and Walmart primarily) to look into carrying it as a way of breaking out into the mainstream. I've even managed to get my paws/claws/tentacles/whatever on a copy of the box art- since it's still in early stages of development, I'm sure Jeff won't mind too much if anyone sees.

Click to reveal..
29f2h5k.jpg

Oh Dantius. You've made my day.

I kinda miss box art (and the artwork on vinyl record covers, when compared to CD covers), but let's face it -- it was pretty wasteful. My Myst: Masterpiece Edition box is gorgeous, but there's no point in selling a 9" x 10" box that just contains a jewel case.

My copy of the Geneforge saga came in a white paper/cardboard-type sleeve.

I personally think that if he were to get cover art and a case, or even one of those DVD-type ones, it would make for a much more professional presentation (but then again I also would say he needs to get music for his games, so I'm probably asking for too much.)

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Dantius, in your old age, I do believe you're getting funnier (and less offensive).

I got a fairly odd, round CD case with the original Nethergate, which was only available on CD. That was 14 years ago I believe.

My copy of Nethergate was in a round CD case ~7 years ago.

Also, Dinti - yeah, it *is* wasteful, but there's just something about listening to a great album and looking at the vinyl sleeve whilst doing it.

@macdude22 - That's quite an impressive collection you have there. I've got a fair number myself (though I never bought Nethergate or N:R).

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Hey! Why didn't I get a cat with my discs?
Don't feel too bad, I never received my cat either. It's a good thing too, because my mouse was getting kind of nervous. tongue

I have never heard of round cd cases before either tongue I guess i will have to think about it or make my own box art or something if i do get the game frown.

If i would order it now would i get a pressed disc or one that is not pressed tongue?

Also i think i prefered Avadon smile

My guess is he doesn't have them professionally pressed until he has the Mac/Win versions done.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Oh Dantius. You've made my day.

I kinda miss box art (and the artwork on vinyl record covers, when compared to CD covers), but let's face it -- it was pretty wasteful. My Myst: Masterpiece Edition box is gorgeous, but there's no point in selling a 9" x 10" box that just contains a jewel case.

You can pry my ridiculously oversized Starcraft II Collectors box from my cold dead fingers.

Originally Posted By: VCH
Are you one of those people that keeps mice around the house?
Methinks you missed my (accidental, oddly enough) pun on the word "mouse."

Originally Posted By: macdude22
Originally Posted By: VCH
He sent you round CD cases? Since when do round cases exist?

@VCH They looked like this.

(photo)
All my round cases look like this:

217RA10FE0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They still sell round cases, by the way.

@The Mystic you are probably right, my memory was hazy. I tossed the things as soon as I got them and I haven't gotten a Disk from Spiderweb in a couple three years. Was meaning to get the second Avernum Trilogy on disk but haven't gotten around to it yet. At any rate they didn't fit well on my shelves regardless.

no box art or cd art :'(? Me sad frown well i will give the demo's a try. Age or graphics of the games dont mather to me unless its First person view where you press forward and you jump forward 1 step if that make any sense. Not that it seem like any of the games here are like that smile

Like the Bard's Tale. cool