Niemand

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
There is a greasemonkey script (for Firefox), which allows users to see the joining date of memmbers here, rather than their member number. I think Niemand wrote it too, actually.

I think this should cast some light onto this thread.

* comprehends * Aha aha!

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
There is a greasemonkey script (for Firefox), which allows users to see the joining date of memmbers here, rather than their member number. I think Niemand wrote it too, actually.

I think this should cast some light onto this thread.
it also shows the join date on chrome.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
So the lim t-->oo[Harm(Spam)]=0, then?

No, Harm=Harm(Spam,Δt) which can also be written Harm(ρ^α) for some α>0 where ρ=Spam/Δt and it is the case that
lim ρ→0[Harm(ρ)]=0
and this limit can be approached either by taking Spam→0 or Δt→.

Originally Posted By: Nikki
The script in question actually does the reverse (replaces the joined date information with member number). The two are related by a monotonic function, though.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
You mean it's not the answer sheet for the next Quiz of Knowledge? Great. Now Dikiyoba actually has to study.
Actually, part of the reason I created this thread is that it is the key for the next quiz. Of course, it's encoded, so it isn't much use without the mapping function:
Code:
[answer key text] => [current contents of this thread][anything else] => wombat
Now all you have to do is invert it (taking into account that the mapping is necessarily time dependent).

How did you get all those special characters? The only way I can even approximate that is by writing it out in a separate program and screencaping, cropping, uploading, and then image embedding. It's some special mod powers, isn't it? I can't even get in a mu or a sigma, much less arrows and \infty's.

Yeah, I got frustrated with UBB ruining my Unicode and told it to use HTML formatting, which I think only mods can do. The particularly dumb part being that I didn't actually use any HTML, I just needed UBB to using the HTML character entity for the ampersand to escape the ampersands that are actually the first characters of other HTML character entities.

When I do need to typeset small snippets into images I use LaTeXiT,but for non-Mac OS systems one would have to find something else.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
It's not Latex or latex. It's LaTeX. You can tell because it's a language that prints symbols and code using TeX macros, and also because software engineers apparently spend the time they have in between writing brilliant code writing terrible, terrible puns.
Fun tie-in with the Alan Turing topic: Edsger Dijkstra had a Volkswagen bus which he called "the Touring Machine".

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Actually no real TeX user would make puns on LaTeX, simply because the "TeX" part is pronounced "tech". The "X" is really a chi.

This may sound like something I'd make up, but it's true.

I heard that it can also be pronounced like "yech" or one of those hissing words. Something to do with the exasperation of the guy who made it. I downloaded MacTeX or something, but never bothered to figure it out.

Originally Posted By: Master1
I heard that it can also be pronounced like "yech" or one of those hissing words. Something to do with the exasperation of the guy who made it. I downloaded MacTeX or something, but never bothered to figure it out.

So it's like the "ch" in "Chanukah"?

I still think that it was a mistake for the roman alphabet to drop the "theta" /th/ sound. I probably use that more than the regular /t/ sound.

This post, for example:

/th/: 10

/t/:9

The Roman alphabet never had theta; Latin doesn't use that sound. Theta is Greek, and when other languages imported the Latin alphabet they added some characters of their own. English had two, eth (Ð) and thorn (Þ). Eth probably disappeared because thorn was good enough; thorn disappeared because "th" and "y" were considered acceptable replacements. The latter, at least, was influenced both by drift in the shape of the letter and the fact that typeset usually came from countries that didn't have thorn and didn't bother to add it for overseas orders.

—Alorael, who imagines that TeX with a yech is just based on differing opinions on the pronunciation of chi. It all depends on how archaic your technology is, really.