A6 - Formello (spoiler)

VCH

Is it worth clearing Formello after killing the shadow and impaler? The sliths there are giant hp stacks on torment. Although the mutant wolves south of Ft Monastery are about the same. It gets pretty boring when my party isn't at risk of death but killing one guy takes several minutes.

What about the major Slith army camps, are they worth bothering with? Is the XP really worth it?

I could clear both out but it would like chipping away at a mountain. Am I missing anything if I leave them?

You can come back later to loot Formello and it gets slightly easier later in the game. Formello has crystalline plate in a cabinet in the northeast part of the Arena that is accessible after you finish the Impaler. Also there is a knowledge elixir in the south to the west of that gate. The XP isn't that great and you don't get anything for the endlessly spawn sliths that appear at the gates.

The West Formello Gate camp is not worth it for XP, but if you clear it out and head north along the outside wall of Formello there is a secret area with some loot.

On torment this is like chopping down the tallest tree in the forest with a herringbone. It's doable, but you will use up lots of potions for healing and energy. I cleared everything on normal to see what the loot was and did some on torment, but it's not any fun.

• 1 month later...

I tried this and discovered that there is one area where you can get some goodies, such as a ruby and a flawless crystal and a couple of other nice items without triggering the spawning sliths.

Go out the gate from the arena that leads to the pylon and hug the east wall. Go to the pylon area (you'll have to fight two slith guards there), then enter the little temple just west of the pylon on the right. If you keep your whole party inside the temple, you won't trigger any spawns. fight the two priests and two sliths in the temple, charm the summoned monsters, grab the goodies, and run out the way you came in.

If you go any farther than that, though, the spawning starts.

I missed that knowledge elixir. Might go back for that when I go back to the Lair of the Scourge (already killed the Scourge, but there are those other two fights in there . . .)

Might it be, that the gems are on the priests?

I went out the arena gate into the little park, that eventually leads to the pylon, and I used the pylon before finding the temple, cause I got tired of the spawning sliths, but I had some slith cultists to kill with the mob and I think I remember having collected an emerald and a ruby there.

Otherwise I agree, I found the spawning sliths a bit boring after a while. After the first excitement, if they are gonna overwhelm you has recided, they wear you out, but are not really interesting.

Clearing out the Slith camps round Formello provides you with a big loot of slith spears, which might be nice to sell, instead of all the cheap leather armors… but except for the trainers its pretty similar to the postarena-prepylon-fights at Formello. They wear you out, but they start to get boring.

I provided myself with a bit of fun by practising a bit of fancy door-fighting. I had to, because I went there with almost no supplies of potions or scrolls. So I had to do the fights only with the "natural" abilities of my party, and the Sliths really did wear my party out. No energy left, a.s.f. Especially as long as there was one of these blue slith trainers, who could also do mighty swipes like the giants do. I really was in danger of loosing. So I used some of the little abandoned farm houses in the area to retreat, rest, revive and return. It also made the Sliths retreat, so that I could leave the area to restore my mana. That way it was a bit of fun. But no real goodies to collect… One Slith Warspear from the blue Trainer, who's damn name I don't remember, because he wasn't as intresting as Yassho anymore.

No, the gems are just lying on the floor. Theoretically I guess you could just run in, grab the loot and dash off again, but I didn't try that.

The important thing was, as long as you stay inside the little temple, no spawns.

I tried fights in the two buildings closest to the temple and did get spawns. Didn't look like there were any real goodies in there though.

Glad to hear about the boringness of clearing out the sliths around Formello. I was wondering if I should try that or just get on with the game.

I think I'll just get on with the game.

My only problem with this is where the heck is the second painting? I've been there. Killed everyone in the place, searched every room, and I only find one place where it tells me there's a painting. When I go back to Giscard, he won't take it. What's up with that?

I also searched through the Synergizer list and saw that the second painting is supposed to be upstairs in one of the boxes, but I've searched everything up there. I've opened everything, used everything, picked up and dropped all the junk just to see. No second painting.

Originally Posted By: Kreador
Well, I've checked everything upstairs five times, and everything downstairs. It won't give me a second painting. Can somebody give me the cheat code to give it to myself, if there is one? I'm really annoyed at having this quest leftover.

Kreador, I just did this quest yesterday - you have to be standing on a specific, certain spot (square) upstairs to get the second painting, IIRC. I think I had to move around that upstairs room a little bit to get the "You got a painting..." dialogue box.

It might have been the one square to the left of the table with the bones on it (south wall, upstairs). Or it might have been one of the squares next to the two beds right up against the north wall. But if you stand on the right square, you should pick up the second painting.

Originally Posted By: madrigan
Isn't Giscard the guy that was really rude to you in A4? He was like, this is my land, you're stupid? This is pretty good character progression for such a minor character.

Yup. He even sort of apologizes for being such a jerk in the earlier game. Pretty cool.

@Kreador:

If I rememeber correctly, there were two bosses in the mansion there, one - somewhere downstairs, and one upstairs. There is a painting in each of the rooms with the boss, on the wall. But you have to approach the wall completely in order to "see" it. So just go around the mansion hitting every wall, as if looking for secret passages in the previous A games.

Upd: did not realize there was a second page to this topic and the question has been successfully answered already. Why am I not able to delete this post?

• 10 months later...