Let's Play Geneforge (A youtube show)

I used to say geneforge as jen(like the girl's name)-forge, but then switched to gene(as in DNA)-forge.

Now that I've seen the videos, or at least the first two: They're pretty amusing. Good advertising, but he (sorry if that's anyone here) isn't the greatest player. Not a noob, but not amazing.

I'm not sure where all the pronunciation uncertainty comes from. Geneforge is a compound word. It is formed by the combination of two other words with entirely unambiguous pronunciation. Most compound words (not all, but most) have their pronunciations unaltered. Where do Jen and company come from?

—Alorael, who would guess from playing style that the player isn't a regular here. Any true Spidwebber wouldn't be caught dead without a min-maxed super character.

When I first read a name for something, I usually just take a glance at it. I know that Geneforge should be pronounced GENE-FORGE, but I pronounce it as JENNA-FORGE. When I first read Solbreg, I pronounced it Salaberg. When I first read Pinner, I pronounced it Pintar. When I first read Alorael, I pronounce it ALO-RAWAL.

Total coincidence, I swear.

The Last Archon

I only watched the first video, but I fail to see the appeal. I'd rather just go play the game myself.

Originally Posted By: Ackrovan
When I first read Alorael, I pronounce it ALO-RAWAL.

Total coincidence, I swear.

Considering Alorael's mastery of conspiracies and backroom dealings, Dikiyoba wouldn't be all that surprised if it were true.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
I only watched the first video, but I fail to see the appeal. I'd rather just go play the game myself.

The idea is that somebody plays a game and documents it in screenshot or video form with amusing commentary. The problem is that nobody on YouTube is amusing.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

The idea is that somebody plays a game and documents it in screenshot or video form with amusing commentary. The problem is that nobody on YouTube is amusing.

I dunno. It's pretty funny to watch Deceased Crab's LP of Eversion as he starts to wonder why the scenery is getting darker. (This is the same Eversion I have in my signature.)

Originally Posted By: Fin de siècle
I'm not sure where all the pronunciation uncertainty comes from. Geneforge is a compound word. It is formed by the combination of two other words with entirely unambiguous pronunciation. Most compound words (not all, but most) have their pronunciations unaltered. Where do Jen and company come from?

Tisk, Alorael, tisk

Only one person can have a definitive say on how Geneforge should be pronounced, and since he hasn't said anything, I believe it's up to the individual to decide how it should sound. Personaly, gene(ie: dna) forge sounds kindy of tacky and silly to me, I like to think it's pronounced, Jenna or jenne forge, much like Ackrovan.

Edit: I also like to say Fyora with a lone E, so it would be FEE OR A

The English language as popularly spoken really has the definitive say on it. If Jeff wanted it to be pronounced atypically and specified an alternate pronounciation, that would be one thing. But without such specification, most people will inevitably pronounce it in a certain way. The rules Alorael cites is unconsciously followed by the vast majority of English-speakers, even if they don't realize it. (Actually, I suspect that rule holds across most languages. Not sure about that though.)

Well, what I think is that since "the pool" changes (or forges) the genes ("those tiny little scrolls with four-letter sequences") and that it was the goal-object of the first game (which was supposed to be a stand-alone), the pronunciation is more than obvious.

But, at the very conclusion we see, that if Tygen's faction won it'd the first part'd probably be pronunced as in "genesis". smile

This just goes to show that we have to be grateful he didn't win. Imagine the argument then ...

I jumped into the series at G4 and pronounced it jenna-forge because, as far as I could tell, the thing "generates" warriors. Later, I realized the game's fantasy aspect has actual scientific themes running through it, which was when gene-forge started making more sense.

Had I known the name was supposed to mean something instead of just sounding vaguely awesome, I probably would have gone with the second pronunciation sooner.

It's pronounced jeen-ticks, you fool!

—Alorael, who vaguely recalls a biotech company selling something called a GeneForge at some point. That would make the game a likely trademark infringement and therefore unlikely, but if there was such a thing the studleycaps did make the pronunciation clearer.

If the question is whether the stress in ge-ne-forge belongs on the first syllable when ge-ne-tics is stressed on the second syllable, I'm going to have to stand by my original position. Words ending with the suffix etic always stress the et syllable. Since forge is not a suffix but the second half of a compound word, I see no reason for a trisyllabic form of geneforge to follow a similar rule.

The question is whether Geneforge should be trisyllabic at all. "Gene forge" is not, obviously. Does removing a space add a syllable? Inquiring minds want to know, or at least they want to argue about it.

—Alorael, who wonders if anyone will argue the other way. Forget disyllables. Is Ge-ne-for-ge quadrisyllabic?

Dessmarestia is correct that the phonological rules applied on the addition of an affix for the most part do not apply to the creation of compound words. However, there is a problem with the previous argument. No, it is not immediately obvious that the word "gene" is used in the Geneforge world (although that is revealed late in the first game). However, the analogy to genes and to genetic engineering *is* immediately obvious. Here are the first two paragraphs on the SW Geneforge page. I've bolded the stuff that makes the connection to genes quite hard to avoid:

Originally Posted By: Geneforge Home Page on SW
Geneforge is our newest fantasy role-playing game with a science fiction twist. In Geneforge, you are free to choose what your overall goal is, and you can seek after it with your own horde of deadly, mutant monsters.

You are a Shaper, a member of the most powerful and secretive of the magical guilds. You have the power to create life and mold it to serve your own needs. For millennia, your world feared and respected the Shapers above all others. Their creations could go everywhere, do anything, all according to the wishes of the Shapers and no others.

...oh. That's what that means. I never bothered to connect the "science fiction twist" and "mutant monsters" aspects. Durr.

DES: Hey Master Jared, whatcha doing?

JARED: I am manipulating the biological framework of this animal in an attempt to create a variant with different characteristics.

DES: *eyes glaze over*

JARED: I'm making monsters.

DES: Sweet!