• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic
The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:17 PM #246 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but Jeff has explicitly stated multiple times that the Avadon series was inspired by a Hungarian opera. Why would it be at all surprising to find Hungarian names in it...? :confused:
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:08 PM #247 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Perhaps because Jeff has never, ever referred to said opera, or its characters, by their Hungarian names -- only by the names they have in English translation.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

googoogjoob googoogjoob

Mercenary

• Member ID: 9,876
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:20 PM #248 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Said opera also has exactly two named characters.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:05 AM #249 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

I'm not sure what we're talking about here. As far as I can tell, what we know is:

1) There are a few real Hungarian names in the Avadon series, some of which are applied to characters who have descriptions somewhat suggestive of in-jokes.

2) Avadon was inspired by a Hungarian opera (called "Bluebeard's Castle" in English) with two named characters (Judith/Judit and Bluebeard/Kékszakállú).

3) Mariann Krizsan is an immigrant with a Hungarian name.

None of this proves anything, but it is suggestive. Given 3) and 2), 1) isn't "surprising," but neither does it tell us much. It could be that some of Avadon's characters are named after Hungarian friends or relatives of Mariann. It could be that Jeff grabbed a "name your baby" book and just used Hungarian names that he liked. It could be that he put together interesting-sounding syllables and accidentally made Hungarian names. With only this information, we don't really know.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:07 AM #250 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Bump for various updates to the list.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:21 AM #251 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

For A2CS, you list Morrigan as a Celtic goddess. But isn’t it more likely that Jeff got the name from the character in Dragon Age Origins - a game he talked about on his blog quite a bit - rather than just from reading Celtic mythology? (Apologies if this is already established somewhere; I searched and didn't see anything in this thread addressing this.)

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:25 PM #252 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Given the juxtaposition with the mythological counterpoint of Venus Castinan, I'm going to say no, unless that name also appears in Dragon Age (and if it does, I can't find it on the internets).  Also, Jeff did some heavy research into both Celtic and Roman culture when he wrote Nethergate.  Yes, that was almost 20 years earlier, but they are definitely things he has read about.

Spukrian Spukrian

Soldier

• Member ID: 9,938
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:23 AM #253 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

We all know about Redbeard being inspired by Bluebeard in that opera, but it should also be acknowledged that Ragnar Redbeard, author of "Might is Right", is a partial inspiration aswell.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:04 AM #254 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Interesting find.  The book has some things in common with Redbeard's ideology in terms of means, and some major differences in terms of aims.  Avadon's Redbeard maintains his power through strength, but a social darwinist he is not.  "Redbeard" actually shows up in a number of different places in history (see another Wikipedia link: Redbeard).  Consider for example the Holy Roman Emperor, of whom Wikipedia says: "He combined qualities that made him appear almost superhuman to his contemporaries: his longevity, his ambition, his extraordinary skills at organization, his battlefield acumen and his political perspicuity."  Sounds more like the Keeper than Ragnar Redbeard does.

And of course, there's also the fact that we also have plenty of Blackbeards, Bluebeards, Greybeards, etc.  It's easy to put a color in front of a beard.  Given the acknowledged inspiration of Bluebeard, and the fact that Jeff has red hair and clearly wrote some of himself into the character, it's also possible that he just changed the color rather than paying attention to any previously existing Redbeard.

So: definitely not impossible that Ragnar Redbeard was some kind of inspiration, but based on the evidence we have, I don't think it's likely.  I note though that you said "is" rather than "could be" so if I've missed something here, please point me in the right direction.

Spukrian Spukrian

Soldier

• Member ID: 9,938
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:26 AM #255 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

You raise some good points, maybe I was mistaken.

googoogjoob googoogjoob

Mercenary

• Member ID: 9,876
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:00 PM #256 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

View PostSlain.., on 04 February 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

Consider for example the Holy Roman Emperor, of whom Wikipedia says: "He combined qualities that made him appear almost superhuman to his contemporaries: his longevity, his ambition, his extraordinary skills at organization, his battlefield acumen and his political perspicuity."  Sounds more like the Keeper than Ragnar Redbeard does.

If Frederick Barbarossa was so superhuman how come he was too dumb to take off his armor before fording a minor river in Anatolia? Checkmate, Hohenstaufens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users