In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

keira

If the option to "dislike" was added I wonder how it would effect the ranking?

Sylae would be the only one with a positive reputation, and everyone else would be between 0 and -589. Also, the only option for adding a dislike feature makes likes and dislikes anonymous, so we wouldn't be able to have statistics on it at all.

Dikiyoba has grown rather fond of the current like system. It's silly and pointless, and that's the true spirit of these boards.

Oh, no, that's what I mean. Once my like is retracted, there remains no evidence of the like except for a notification to say that I did like your post, and the realisation that I must have disliked it. Rowen clearly knows what I mean, if my 7 notifications are anything to go by.

(oh god. this could very easily be a facebook conversation. what has happened to my beautiful SW?)

Go to your profile,click on the option for likes, become the master of the universe.

That allows you to unlike the posts you have already liked (which results in no change to a reputation score, since it simply removes the positive reputation point you gave previously). That's different from having the ability to dislike a post (which would give a negative reputation point).

Dikiyoba.

That allows you to unlike the posts you have already liked (which results in no change to a reputation score, since it simply removes the positive reputation point you gave previously). That's different from having the ability to dislike a post (which would give a negative reputation point).

OOps I guess, I should have read the posts better.

Also I saw the graph, managed to understand it, but will someone tell me what is R2?

Also, the only option for adding a dislike feature makes likes and dislikes anonymous, so we wouldn't be able to have statistics on it at all.

Actually, no. It would just not display them publicly, the information has to be stored, otherwise users would be able to downvote something to oblivion relatively easily. If you look at the database, all reputation things are stored in reputation_index. You might also find core_like interesting, it's what seems to handle the display of who liked things, but doesn't do anything besides caching, as I discovered after two hours of SQLing.

For reference, here's the SQL I used for my data.

select author_name, count(id) as likes, n_posts, count(id)/n_posts as lpp from
 (select * from reputation_index left join posts on posts.pid = reputation_index.type_id where type='pid') as likes join
   (select member_id as n_uid, count(pid) as n_posts from posts join members on posts.author_id = members.member_id where post_date > 1350540000 group by author_id) as mposts
on likes.author_id = mposts.n_uid group by author_id order by count(id)/n_posts desc

• 1 month later...

Might be interesting to see the stats split by General / Game fora, to identify the impact of game releases more clearly.

okay

001b9e1d.png

it's combined into four categories, BoX, Exile (and Exile Remake (And Exile Remake Remake)), Geneforge, and Avadon. Nethergate is not shown, if you're curious imagine a very small line.

oh and the darker lines are 20-period moving averages

Edited by sylae
general/misc/techsupport is not shown because it's huge always

Nethergate is also the oldest of the Spiderweb series and has the fewest games except for the much newer Avadon since it's not actually a series. Its engine is markedly the oldest, too.

—Alorael, who definitely think game number is contributory. Release date is harder. N:R is actually newer than G4, but its engine is much older. It received a Steam rerelease that didn't generate much forum buzz.

1. When I change sentences such that a noun becomes an adjective, the apostrophe must go.

2. By oldest I meant the most recent entry in the series is oldest, not that it is the series that has existed for longest. There's less discussion because most of the discussion has already been had and most of the players have already played or aren't going to.

—Alorael, who suspects, without bothering to check, that Nethergate's traffic is close to where the Exile trilogy's is. The Avernum trilogy is more active, but if you want the story you still have to play those original trilogy games, and there are much newer games to act as bait.

in related news, have another graph. this one is more intricate, and measures the appearance of certain phrases occurring in message bodies. It's pretty advanced, and certainly not a glorified Ctrl-F :p

582339ba.png

Edited by sylae
guess what i became a fan of around april