Jeff's final decade

supercow

He said recently (Twitter/X? Blog post? I forget) that he thinks he has about a dozen years left before retirement.

Surprisingly, he also mentioned that Avernum 4 is on the list of future remasters (I thought he would stop after the first trilogy). I expect he'll also do QW3 and Geneforge 3.

Are there any other titles we can expect before Spiderweb Software rides off into the sunset?

The remasters don't take as long as the new games, though.  And remember that the previous Nethergate remaster was literally completed in three months -- SW's fastest game ever.  I don't think it's impossible to do or to wish for.  It's just a question of if SW thinks it would sell.  Personally I'd guess there's a better market for it now than there was in 1998...

Some information from his latest blog post:

Looking To the Future

I am probably about 12 years from looking at retirement. In that time, we have six old games that are really cool but need a full remaster treatment to bring them into the present. We also have several other games that need a quick polish treatment (like art and rebalancing) to send them into posterity.

And we have ambitions to make new stuff too.

That said, I’m sort of transitioning into the Billy Joel phase of the career. My best, most creative period is behind me, but there is still a lot that should be done. I've written 18 all-new games. Eighteen! This has already been a hugely prolific career. Now I need to wrap everything up, tie up the loose ends, and take a bow with as many people satisfied as possible.

In a few months, I'll let our fans know what the next two years of Spiderweb will look like. We have some exciting plans!

https://bottomfeeder.substack.com/p/we-released-geneforge-2-infestation

From the recent stream Queen's Wish 3 might not be happening due to finances, perhaps some short "DLC" story (but likely free) for QW2 to wrap things up instead.

The part about "polish treatment (like art and rebalancing)" for some games is interesting.

Edited by Jawaj

Wow, I didn't realize QW3 might not happen. But as others have pointed out and Jeff mentioned on the G2 remake demo streams recently, he plans to remake G3-G5 and A4 and A5 (not sure about A6) - all of which could definitely benefit from the remake treatment. From his lengthy track record, this is entirely feasible within a ~12-year period.

Jeff has said he's remastering six games, which presumably includes A6. It's definitely the least dated of the original Avernums, but the engine and art and UI could still be updated to modern Spiderweb standards and various things polished and filled out. And after doing the rest of the second trilogy it makes financial sense if nothing else.

More details on updating old games from the AMA, Avadon and Avernum 1-3 will likely get a final balance pass one day:

I also want to go back to the original Avernum trilogy and Avadon and give it balance and repolishing, but this is a big job that won't happen for a while.

Edited by Jawaj