What is your favorite Spiderweb Series and why

Death Knight

Mine would be Avadon as it really has the best parts of Avernum/Geneforge combined.

I think that Geneforge is a good series but it is more suited towards being a solo rpg than a party rpg. Its very good at that however and has a unique world too. The character classes that you get are my favorite part of Geneforge. You can really come up with new character ideas left and right and that's what makes the game great. The downsides are that like Avernum there is really no talking/banter between party members. That's not major but it helps.

I used to like Avernum but its too long. On the other hand it has a much more awesome deal as you get to create a bunch of cool characters. However the down sides are major. You have enemies that don't die within a large number of hits making regular fights very drawn out. While the class system is good you get sick of the characters very early as the games are horrifically long. It'd be one thing if Avernum was as concise as Avadon but that's not the case. If Jeff were to cut down on all the ceaselessly annoying fetch quests to lead up to major quests-I would like that.

Im hoping that in the future Jeff releases another rpg that is concise and realistic as Avadon. Avadon might not have as many choices but its a cool game where I can fire up a few hours that are a lot of fun.

So my favorites of the 3 are Avadon 1st, Geneforge 2nd, and Avernum 3rd

Would everyone else have a different like/dislike for the game series?

By average quality, Nethergate. By aggregate quality, I think I could make a better argument defending Geneforge, but Avernum still holds the special place in my heart it earned way back in the days of Exile.

—Alorael, who thinks Avadon needs a little more time to mature as a series before he can shower it with accolades. The first game is very good, but it's not a self-contained story and it's not the greatest.

I prefer Avernum to Avadon simply because I like the larger party size. I grew up normally having eight characters in a paper RPG and playing six characters on my own in a computer RPG (Wizardry I-III, Bard's Tale I-III). For that matter, Exile allowed six characters. I really don't like being limited to three characters at a time, even if it is out of five. I have not played Geneforge and will be buying Nethergate after Avadon 2, so I cannot compare those two.

I found nethergate highly enjoyable, especially because it had the best menu. Even though I've only played slightly past the demo area, it definitely ranks somewhere from my favorite to third favorite. Its oddly the only SWS game I own that I haven't finished. Hopefully it doesn't get less enjoyable as you get further into it (I don't think it will, but I don't have the time on my hands to find out).

I definitely rank geneforge higher than avernum and avadon, mostly because of the first two. Those two gave me the best feeling of setting identity, feeling more developed than generic. Take for example the intro music to G1, very different than most of Jeff's games, and it gave the game a good feeling. The latter games became less enjoyable as the story got dull and the overall setting feeling wasn't as strong. I greatly prefer the more solo-oriented gameplay, and the zones had identity that kept the weak creature mashing from being boring. You were also able to attack anyone you wanted to, which is a HUGE plus for me.

Avadon is my least favorite. The game was short, and the demo very short and un-enjoyable. I did very much enjoy more optional boss fighting from Avadon, but the optional quests weren't that interesting, and you couldn't attack whoever you wanted. It was extremely linear, which I find to be the bane of RPGs, and that killed me the most. I'll buy Avadon 2, but if it isn't any better I might just have to skip the third. Avernum was somewhere between these two, with some not as fun gameplay as geneforge generally, but a big mostly open world.

Really depends on category for me.

Overall, Avernum Escape From The Pit is my favorite game so far. Then comes Nethergate. Then probably Avadon.

GeneForge... I really like the setting, but I dislike the gameplay. I prefer playing with a group of heroes rather than being a summoner.

So if we are talking series gameplay-wise, I'd say Avernum as it went the longest way improving.

Best series setting-wise could very well be GeneForge.

That's a tough question for me. I really liked Avadon but the Exile series holds a special place in my heart. The thing is, I don't have the patience to play through the Exile games like I did when I was a child, and my younger self wouldn't have been able to appreciate Avadon. I guess they're tied?

For its excellent story and fantastic setting, it's got to be Nethergate. That game just works so well in so many ways.

The Avernum and Geneforge series are both good overall, but have a mix of high and low points for me. Nethergate is not a series but just one game (well, two, but one is a straight-up remake), and that one entry is a major highpoint of SW game design. Exile, or at least the demos, were a lot of fun when I was a kid, but others have said, I don't know if I'd have the patience for them anymore.

As for Avadon, well, apparently I'm an outlier, but I didn't care for it at all (to the point that I never even bothered to get the full game). Avernum, Geneforge, and Nethergate all have truly distinctive settings (massive underground cave network / world magical genetic modifying / ancient Britain). To me, Avadon was the most generic fantasy thing SW has ever done. And then the characters didn't really seem very interesting. So, the game lacked the interesting setting to explore (i.e. Avernum), lacked a sufficiently interesting and mysterious plot to draw me (i.e. Geneforge), and lacked interesting characters (one of the other strengths of Nethergate - it actually manages to develop some of the NPCs at least a bit). I hope that Ava-Dos will step things up. It can't change the setting, but maybe the plot and characters will be more engaging.