Spiderweb Meetup Chart, updated

Dikiyoba

Since the original chart is several years old and badly out of date, I made an updated chart with the recent meetings between Spiderweb message board members I am aware of. It's not as pretty as the original, but with any luck it's still readable. The red lines indicate near misses (one person saw the other in passing, for instance). If there are any connections missing, post them and I'll add them in when I can (which may take a while). Also, if there are any groups of four or more that can't be connected to the main chart (as the CalRef crew was until a few days ago), let me know and they'll get a separate chart. As in the original, groups of two or three don't count, otherwise this would go on forever.

http://i.imgur.com/sQmMYwt.png

And now for the pointless numbers!

Number of people included: 43

Largest degree of separation: 7

Most people met: 11

Second most people met: 10

(Even more pointlessly: Dikiyoba has still met more people than Tyanicus, neener neener neener. :p )

Also, if there are any groups of four or more that can't be connected to the main chart (as the CalRef crew was until a few days ago)...

Hooray for Aran, the great mediator!

Anyway, I'm totally game for main-community meetups, it's just that CalRef seems to be disproportionately Western and that, coupled with the growing commune, it's easier to connect with those folks.

Dik-dik

photo-thumb-4222.jpg?_r=1378929392

*squee*

Hooray for Aran, the great mediator!

Heh. In graph theory terms, I'm a minimal vertex separator. :D (With the biggest connected components, apparently. You and Tyran would be ahead but for the Drakefyre-Dragyn Bob edge that is in Sy's diagram)

the growing commune

One couple and a room-mate are a commune, or are you counting everyone living in Colorado? :p

I'm trying to unify those charts and noticed a weird discrepancy.

Diki's chart isn't a superset of Slarty's old one, in that it does not link Sarachim to Marlenny.

Sy's chart is a superset of Slarty's but not Diki's, in that it doesn't link Sarachim and Nicothodes, nor Nalyd and Vergil. (It also omits Archmage Micael and my dad, but both of those are debatable.)

For reference, here are each of the graphs as edge lists with consistent names (eg. Lilith), including in normalized (symmetric+sorted) form.

http://stuff.ermarian.net/arancaytar/swgraph.tar.gz

Diki's chart isn't a superset of Slarty's old one, in that it does not link Sarachim to Marlenny.

Yeah, that's a mistake. I'll fix it when I can.

(It also omits Archmage Micael and my dad, but both of those are debatable.)

If Sporefrog counts (and no one has ever really debated it, to my knowledge), then your dad counts, and Archmagus Micael has 1,415 posts, so he definitely counts.

Rereading the original thread, it looks like Dragyn Bob should be connected to Drakefyre (as in Sylae's chart), but not to Alorael. I'll change that, if nobody objects.

(Also, wait, Sylae and Rowen met? When?)

Oh hey, the other night Slarty revealed that he met JLSGaladriel(?). This chart is outdated already :p

Noted.

Dikiyoba.

Rereading the original thread, it looks like Dragyn Bob should be connected to Drakefyre (as in Sylae's chart), but not to Alorael. I'll change that, if nobody objects.

Whee, if I have it right on my head, that should make the graph chordal again (no cycles except for cliques)! :D

Edit: also, if we can maintain this thing as an edge list in a text file and not just a diagram, that'd allow using tools to draw it automatically.

I've thought about hosting a meet-up next summer, for those who might actually enjoy a getaway to the boonies. We'll see if that actually pans out, though.

Yeah, I'd host something too, but I'm not particularly well located for big meets. Still, I'd happily meet somebody if they came to the UK.

For poops and giggles, I once ran a geoIP on everyone who was in the calref chat at one point, and ran it though a script that calculates the "optimal" meeting point (through some sort of weighted average, i presume).

Apparently the next meet has to happen in the wilderness of Quebec.

... I believe the extended Grandbois family has a retreat in the back woods of Quebec. I'll have to look into it. :p

(Obviously, straight up distance isn't everything. In a straight line, Carbondale is actually quite centrally located for a North American meetup. It is hindered, however, by not being adjacent to a major airport, although it is pretty close to the I70 corridor and the Amtrak line.)

For poops and giggles, I once ran a geoIP on everyone who was in the calref chat at one point, and ran it though a script that calculates the "optimal" meeting point (through some sort of weighted average, i presume).

Apparently the next meet has to happen in the wilderness of Quebec.

I'll be there :p