Which series first (Avernum2 or Geneforge)?

Acrux

Which of the series would be recommended for a newcomer to play first? Is the gameplay of both series more or less similar? I have Avernum:Escape from the Pit, Avernum 4-6, and Geneforge 1-5.

The storyline/world of Geneforge looks especially interesting to me. And if that's the case, would it be recommended that I save those for dessert?

Spiderweb's newest game is Avernum: Escape from the Pit.

Geneforge 1 is a relatively old game at this point. You might find it easiest to start there, and then play up through the Geneforge series, enjoying the shifts as the engine improves. At that point, jumping from G5 to the modern Avernum games (A4-6, A:EftP) would probably be easier than playing the modern games and then trying to adjust yourself to the early Geneforge games.

Both series are excellent. One great thing about Spiderweb is the free demos. Try one out, see how it appeals to you. If, say, the G1 demo seems really cool, go for it! If it disappoints, try a different demo, until you find one you like. Once you play one or two of Jeff's games, if you find the gameplay and plots engaging, you'll likely be drawn into playing more of the games. :D

Edit: My recommendation would be to start with G1, but I would emphasize that there's no "right" way to do it. I have played, in order: G3, Nethergate: Resurrection, A6, G1, G2, A:EftP, and G4. And I don't think the haphazard order hurt my enjoyment of the games at all.

Yeah, I second the suggestion to start with G1. If it's too old and clunky for you, jump ahead to G4.

If you decide Geneforge isn't your thing, or once you're done with the series, try either Avernum: Escape from the Pit or Avernum 4. Avernum 4-6 are sequels, so they'll spoil the plot of A:EftP and the next two remakes, but you can enjoy 1-3 despite knowing the basic plot. (Plus, the remakes will add in new wrinkles to the plot.) It just make take a few years before the next two Avernum remakes are out.

Dikiyoba

It also depends upon playing style where some players like single character games so Geneforge is closer to that style. Party based players will like Avernum.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. You bought the games so it's probably too late to leave your sanity by the door. :)

You might want to try each game out for about 15 minutes or so, before picking one out. You should know what level of interface/graphics you require to keep yourself entertained as in general if you get used to playing the newer and eye-candy filled SW games, as Triumph says, it becomes harder to adjust to the older ones.

I personally thought the Geneforge series was unique in it's concept - lots of fun and quite interesting. And, I played straight through - 1 to 5. I would highly recommend that you do the same. Not only does the engine look more up to date as the series progresses, but you definitely lose some of the story line if you didn't start at the beginning.

Also, if you start with Geneforge, jump in and play as a Shaper right away. Otherwise you won't immerse yourself in the things that make Geneforge unique.

While Geneforge has the most unique concept out of anything Spiderweb has to offer, their later games are more balanced and perhaps a better introduction to what this company has to offer. That said, you will likely appreciate the later games all the more if you start out from the beginning, and not merely from a story perspective, but from the perspective of seeing how far each game comes with every subsequent installment - game developers level up too you know.

The Geneforge series is WAAAAAAY better than the Avernum series, but at the same time I think "Escape From the Pitt" is also a good first Spiderweb game. It has the most accessible interface so it might be a good way to ease into things (I played it before playing any of the Geneforges and didn't regret it).

Just as a warning, though, the Avernum games are also WAAAAAAAY longer than the Geneforge games. The Geneforges are usually in the 30-50 hour range, whereas most of the Avernums are more in the 80-100 hour range (you could probably knock alot of time off that if you play them on normal or easy, though). So you could probably play through the first 3 Geneforge games in the time that it would take you to beat "Escape from the Pitt" alone.