G3 silly questions

Cala

Hey Crew,

I've picked up all 5 Geneforge games awhile back, and have been having great fun playing them in chronological order. Just started G3 today, and there are a few things that bug me. I'm probably missing something obvious, but after a couple hours it's pretty clear I need someone to point this out for me.

1) How can I see my abilities screen? I'm not thinking of my skill screen, but the one that lists my spells, healing, and shaping abilities. I've looked everywhere, and I just can't find it!

2) There has got to be a better way to pick up objects! Clicking and dragging things into my inventory really sucks! I've been hitting the assigned letter for objects to have it auto placed in my inventory, which isn't terrible, except I keep accidentally picking up jars and bones when I hit the wrong key. With one hand almost always on the mouse, it's way easier to just click them. I've tried shift click and option click, etc, but no luck.

Anddd I think that's it? Or, while I'm here, should I be dodging canisters containing skills that I have not yet trained with a trainer? I recall in G2 that using a canister would keep you from being able to train a level. And what's the deal with putting skill points in trainer-able skills?

You can use the canisters before or after training, no issue with that, but yeah you must not increase trainable skills with skill points before training if you wish to, well, train.

Unfortunately I don't think there is any other way of picking up items, but honestly it shouldn't be that big a bother.

Edit:- The ability screen can be accessed from the top right corner of skill screen.

I will also add that i am not this bad at ordering things generally, it's just that I feel more for some questions than others.

Canister consumption and training order only maters in Geneforge 2. Which I'm sure you relized seeing how you have played it. But this is Geneforge three we are talking about :p

Just be very careful with picking items up with the keyboard. That's the only way. Really, clicking and dragging isn't that big of a deal. Takes another two milliseconds out of your life?

What Mosquito said about the skills page thing.

Savvy?

Really' date=' clicking and dragging isn't that big of a deal. Takes another two milliseconds out of your life?[/quote']

Two milliseconds each and every time you pick up an item adds up, though.

Dikiyoba has a hard time playing G3 because of the new inventory system plus the old encumbrance system. Too much time is spent in inventory management.

One more question guys!

The previous Geneforges have given me bizarre hoarding reflexes... is there any reason why I should keep Gemstones, Emeralds, Crystals (Lovely, Beautiful, Flawed, etc.) and the likes instead of selling them immediately?

I"m pretty sure I have to keep research notes and shaper equipment (and dried herbs!), but I'm not sure about the rest!

Jeff changes it from game to game on what to keep. This is why checking Strategy Central or FAQ/Walkthrough guides are helpful. Some things can be used to craft items.

Most crystals can be sold.

Geneforge 1 had some people later in the game that would by gemstones and shaper equipment so you could prolong bankrupting the regular merchants.

I have one more silly question!

It's starting to drive me a bit crazy that when I use the daze spell, I can not tell which enemies are dazed and which are not. I know it announces along the bottom whether the spell worked or not, but when you've got several enemies with the same name, it's impossible to tell! I'd rather attack the non-dazed enemies.... Is there any way to tell by looking, holding a key, etc.?

There aren't many animations. Jeff, I guess, believes in more quality of the storyline than quality of special effects.

There's also a another reason not to have too many animation graphics: they cost money. Before SW started raking in cash for Avadon and A:EftP, the increased sales that MAY have come from nicer graphics just wasn't worth the initial cost.

In case anyone has been following this, I've figured it out! Even characters who do not have a breathing animation have a 'flinch' animation that plays when they are struck by something. Stunned characters are permanently frozen in the 'flinch' position. Some are just more subtle about it than others.

Two milliseconds each and every time you pick up an item adds up, though.

Dikiyoba has a hard time playing G3 because of the new inventory system plus the old encumbrance system. Too much time is spent in inventory management.

I gave up on Geneforge 3 as well. It had a somewhat interesting plot and was pretty cool but once I got to the warped creator in the beginning, the game ended. He was too hard even on easy and I couldn't find out how much leadership I needed to talk my way past. If jeff remakes that game, he should add a mechanical way of killing the thing. That would be cool and would fit what you do to shaila in gene forge 4 with the sabotage.

According to Matt P. (I think), the value of your Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Endurance lose power as you continue to invest points into them beyond about 15. For instance, I love to be a Shaper. If I keep pouring on Intelligence, the increase in Essence and Energy when you get past 15 won't be as great as if you were to put in Intelligence while your level was less than 15.

I think that is what he said. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's the info, from a thread where I asked about this long long ago...

It is a bit confusing. Some stats use the 10-cap, and some don't.

If a stat doesn't use the 10-cap, it gives the same effect for each new point, whether it's an extra die of damage, chance to parry, improved resistance, whatever.

If a stat does use the 10-cap, its effect increases at the following points:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 23, 26, 29

Basically, you need 2 points for a bonus after 10, and 3 points for a bonus after 20. Hence the "10-cap" because often, combining with naturally increasing skill pt costs in G2 and up, it becomes much less useful to buy more of that skill after you get to 10.

But, skills are treated differently in different games.

In G1, ALL skills use the 10-cap. Their skill point costs don't go up, though, so it's actually quite a cool system.

In G5, I believe that NO skills use the 10-cap. I am not 100% sure about this, but most at least do not.

In the games in between, it varies, with G2 and G3 applying more 10-caps and G4 fewer. I know Fire Shaping and the other shaping skills apply the 10-cap in every game except G5. I believe the same thing is true of Parry and Quick Action.

Hope this helps.