Smiley Awards : The Spiderweb's Smiley

BMA

One man's spam is another man's treasure. But there is a dividing line, somewhere, that separates the stuff almost everyone thinks is spam from the stuff that enough people will appreciate to make the others shut up. I don't know which side of that line this topic falls on, and I'm not holding my breath to find out.

I will say, though, "SW's cute smileys" have nothing to do with SW and are in a thousand places all over the internet.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
I will say, though, "SW's cute smileys" have nothing to do with SW and are in a thousand places all over the internet.

Originally Posted By: BMA
I do resent the last paragraph, though. You should cushion your blows a bit more.

It's a factual statement, and not even a disputed or controversial one. It is not a blow.

Is anybody else getting a really uncomfortable sense of deja vu right now?

Originally Posted By: Dantius

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Is anybody else getting a really uncomfortable sense of deja vu right now?

My, what a harsh, cruel question to ask.

tongue

You monster.

I'm going to go ahead and admit that this is over my head. Does someone care to explain?

Actually, Slarty provided me with the name this time; I just made the avatar. We brainstormed several possible names, and whilst I was loathe to use them (because I'm stubborn, mainly and this is my baby), there were a couple that were outstanding. This is one of them. The next two will probably also be guest names because they too are great, which I'll provide avatars for.

(As an aside, I've also recieved much more feedback in the last hour or so for this name than I have for any others. Maybe Slarty ought to be doing these. ;))

Trenton, you are now taking the spamming thing a bit too far. Although you have gotten much better about it since you first joined, it has gotten worse again lately, and today you have already made 20 posts, most of which have one sentence or less (see the post above) of actual content. You even started an entire topic with the admitted purpose of increasing your postcount.

The forums are not a chat room. If you just stuck to the posts where you actually have something substantial to add to the conversation, I think you would find yourself feeling more appreciated.

So please consider this is a friendly, but stern, official warning. Stop spamming the boards.

See, this is why quoting the person you are referring to/responding to is important. See, BMA's post comes right after somebody mentioned Aran's emoticon-only post, so it seems fair to assume he was referring to that. And yet, he could just have easily been responding to Slarty, since Slarty had asked Trenton not to post meaningless posts with no real content.

I guess the bottom line is, I want Slarty to be referring to Aran in the above post, because then I can offer Aran a shoulder to cry on. wink

You can get away with a low content post now and then, especially if they're funny, if you have a consistent history of meaningful, interesting posts. The spam warnings come when the aggregate usefulness level of your posting drops too low.

—Alorael, who wonders when the EndeavorBot will be able to rate not just post levels but also post interestingness level. Get on that, Aran.

Originally Posted By: Officers Jenny (honest!)
See, this is why quoting the person you are referring to/responding to is important. See, BMA's post comes right after somebody mentioned Aran's emoticon-only post, so it seems fair to assume he was referring to that. And yet, he could just have easily been responding to Slarty, since Slarty had asked Trenton not to post meaningless posts with no real content.

The quote feature is not necessary to fix that problem. All you have to do is be clear about who you're referring to. Instead of saying "he" in a thread in which you could be talking about 20 people, just use a name. It really is that easy.

This isn't to pick on anyone, btw. I just want to debunk the claim that quoting the post above you is "important." It's not, and in most cases, it should be avoided.

Slarty, it would seem easy to avoid posting the quotes by simply addressing the reponse to a name, But then again, Some people like to change their name from post to post. I don't even remember how I learned to link HOUSE of S. to Slarty. It must have happened during one of those late-night, early-morning sessions, when I was typing in my sleep.

I'm not saying that there's never a good reason to use quotes in these kinds of situations, but these are edge cases that offer no argument against my main point: usually, it's not necessary. And since everyone offering these edge cases is in fact perfectly able to identify me, or Nikki, or Alorael regardless of our current PDN, they aren't even really edge cases. Moving on...

The quote feature is also useful when it's important to clarify which one of a person's posts you're replying to

also you're coming across as kind of a jerk about this slarty, there are lots of times when failing to quote a post can cause unforeseen confusion and it's better to be safe than sorry. if quoting the whole post would unnecessarily overembiggen your post then just quote the part of the post you're responding to. there's certainly no need for you to get all snooty about whether people use quote tags

Originally Posted By: Lilith
also you're coming across as kind of a jerk about this slarty, [...] there's certainly no need for you to get all snooty about whether people use quote tags

This. When it comes to quotes, use them or don't use them, depending on your preferences and the situation. Just make your posts as easy to understand and easy to read as possible.

Dikiyoba.