Goodbye, Ray Bradbury.

Aoslare

I won't be sad over a life that gave us so much, but I will stop to honor you:

"Oh, they don't miss me," she said. "I'm anti-social, they say. I don't mix. It's so strange. I'm very social indeed. It all depends on what you mean by social, doesn't it? Social to me means talking about things like this." She rattled some chestnuts that had fallen off the tree in the front yard. "Or talking about how strange the world is. Being with people is nice. But I don't think it's social to get a bunch of people together and then not let them talk, do you? ... we never ask questions, or at least most don't; they just run the answers at you, bing, bing, bing, and us sitting there for four more hours of film-teacher. That's not social to me at all. It's a lot of funnels and a lot of water poured down the spout and out the bottom, and them telling us it's wine when it's not. They run us so ragged by the end of the day we can't do anything but go to bed... I guess I'm everything they say I am, all right. I haven't any friends. That's supposed to prove I'm abnormal. But everyone I know is either shouting or dancing around like wild or beating up one another. Do you notice how people hurt each other nowadays?"

He was a sound of thunder.

You know he was a very kind man, he loved people:

when he was 19 he was very shy with girls not kissing them good night as he'd take them home, one day as he grew old, he met one of the girls he had once loved and once she had taken him for a lift to his house he kissed her, and when the girl asked why, he replied : "this is what I've should have done thirty years ago, " and they had been good friends ever since.

He also said "I want wake people up and make them care of being alive in the universe."

A Conversation with Ray Bradbury: http://www.francetudiant.com/videos/?v=UU51N2s3B78

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I find it highly ironic that Bradbury's death is being mourned on the Internet of all places.

My mourning (insofar as one can mourn a stranger) is taking place in the real world. The fact that I expressed my reverence here is incidental.

While I'm here, though, I'd like to note that Bradbury, Vonnegut, and Adams (who were born in the above order which, I feel, represents the strongest cascade of influence, but died in reverse) have all passed in just over a decade. The genre of quirky, allegorical science fiction is getting a little thin.

Melodramatic? I dunno. Bradbury's writing style is certainly more rococo and less restrained, but I think that _Fahrenheit 451_ is bursting with life (as are many of his novellas). It isn't great poetry, not mostly, but I think it's one of the best stories to come out of the last century, and that's worth something.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I find it highly ironic that Bradbury's death is being mourned on the Internet of all places.

Originally Posted By: Ray Bradbury
We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now.
Yeah, I remember reading that interview (or maybe another one with a similar theme). Which was sad reading, because it seemed to go against stuff he had written earlier:
Originally Posted By: Fahrenheit 451
"You're a hopeless romantic," said Faber. "It would be funny if it were not serious. It's not books you need, it's some of the things that once were in books. The same things could be in the 'parlor families' today. The same infinite detail and awareness could be projected through radios and televisors, but are not. No, no, it's not books at all you're looking for! Take it where you can find it, in old phonograph records, old motion pictures, and in old friends; look for it in nature and look for it in yourself. Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them, at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us. Of course you couldn't understand what I mean when I say all this. You are intuitively right, that's what counts."
Click to reveal.. (NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY)
Also, I'm just going to leave this here, let me know if there are CoC issues.
EDIT: Put link behind spoiler.

You might give him a try. It's easy enough to pick up a collection of his short stories at a used bookstore.

Dinti, I'm glad you posted that. You could probably give more warning in order to preserve the family friendly element, but I'm not a mod (nor do I have any prospects of becoming one), so it's not mine to worry about.

I had the great pleasure of having met and spoken with Ray Bradbury on a few occasions. He was a warm, intelligent, loving man. He was everything that is good in humanity and only a little of what's bad and I'll miss him every day.

And for those of you who have never read his work, you really should rectify that. Try The Illustrated Man, or The Martian Chronicles, or The Halloween Tree, or Fahrenheit 451, or pretty much anything you can get your hands on. Ray Bradbury wrote like a child with the skills and understanding of an adult.

I well remember his style of writing. There was almost always some disturbing sub-plot to each of his stories. "Fahrenheit 451" may be his most recognized title, but his short stories, especially in "The Illustrated Man", were the stuff of The Twilight Zone". In fact, I heard that some of his work was used in that show. While Heinlein is still my most favorite author, Bradbury ranks in my top 5 authors.

Bradbury did one episode of the original series The Twilight Zone, two episodes of the relaunched 1980s The Twilight Zone, and a LOT of other film and TV work (including 58 episodes of Ray Bradbury Theater). Most famously as far as visual media goes, he wrote the screenplay for the John Houston film version of Moby Dick.