New Game needed !

Azhure

Gonna quote myself from another thread:

If you enjoyed the fantasy setting, Avernum may be your thing (but you might consider holding off on a purchase until the new Avernum remake comes out in a few months with an updated engine). If you liked making moral decisions, Geneforge may be for you. Nethergate is kind of the odd one out: you play as a group of Celtic warriors or Roman soldiers in a fantasy version of ancient Britain -- if that description appeals to you, try it out.

The Avernum remake is a totally different combat engine and character building system than the earlier version. The basic plots are the same, but like Avernum being an Exile remake, there are additional areas to explore and more quests.

The Avernum remake is closer to the graphics of Avadon. All the games have great stories.

The Geneforge series is insanely cheap on steam right now. It's all 5 games from the series for 16 dollars, which is a really good deal.

Otherwise, I don't know how old you are, but if you are 14+ I'd recommend "The Binding of Isaac" (the game is a bit crude, which is why I ask your age). It's an awesome, randomized, rogue-like, shooter type game. And, coincidentally, it happens to be in the humblebundle right now, so you can buy it (along with two other games) for 5 dollars if you go to http://www.humblebundle.com/

Plus, in terms of general RPGs there's always the list of usual suspects that any fan of RPGs should play at somepoint in their lives:

Gothic 1 and 2

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

Planescape Torment

Fallout 1 and 2

In terms of newer RPGs I really liked the "Drakensang" series. They are probably the most stat-heavy RPGs released in the past 5 years or so, so if you really like old-school number crunching I'd recommend giving them a go. Also, "Dungeons of Dredmore" is another pretty cool randomized rogue-like type RPG that you can get for 5 bucks on steam. Plus, if you are really, really, in to turn based strategizing, I'd also recommend the "King's Bounty" series which are usually on sale for cheap (like 5-7 bucks for all 3 of them) somewhere, if you look around.

And in terms of non-spiderweb Indie RPGS, I'd recommend "Depths of Peril." It's a sort of Diablo+RTS hybrid that's pretty fun.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Skyrim comes out a week from today. I don't understand why anyone would be buying a new game now when they could wait a week and get 300+ hours of actually quality AAA gameplay for $50.

wait, there's another 300+ hour game coming out in the same week as skyrim?

Originally Posted By: Azhure
am fast approaching the time when I will have to embark on the Escape from Caslte Vebeaux quest and the end of the game - to which I have become rather addicted smile Any recommendations what to buy next ? I really liked the graphics and story of Avadon. Cheers smile

I hear you my friend! I find that while my first play with avadon was not so good. The 2nd time ive really gotten into it. I find that the characters in avadon are what separate it from geneforge and avernum. Avernums got the party thing down, geneforge has the unforgetable story, avadon's got unforgetable characters like redbeard. The only problem is that none of the other games have characters on par with redbeard frown

People here like all Spiderweb games in varying proportions. Why not give some demos a try and see what you like? They're all good at representing the games that follow.

—Alorael, who doesn't think A4's story is especially weak. It's just a rehash of a plot that was already used. Anything further on the subject should be spoiler-tagged.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Dantius
Skyrim comes out a week from today. I don't understand why anyone would be buying a new game now when they could wait a week and get 300+ hours of actually quality AAA gameplay for $50.

wait, there's another 300+ hour game coming out in the same week as skyrim?

Heretic.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
Originally Posted By: Actaeon

I also wonder if one of the "recommend a game to play after Avadon" threads could be made into a sticky.

good idea but there are n+1 options as normal games and many as flash-games.

I suppose I meant more along the lines of "I've finished Avadon... what Spiderweb game should I play next?". That limits the pool of options, aquatints new community members with the other series (which are referenced often enough to cause confusion in a non-player), and hopefully helps Jeff's bottom line a smidge.

Since Avadon is a made up word it can't be used by another company without legal problems. Taking an existing name even with common words doesn't work.

That's why Microsoft was successfully sued over the use of Internet Explorer and had to buy the rights to the name.

Abbadon would have been a fitting name for the remake of Avernum, although it would have brought in some nasty extra baggage with the underworld theme. Sadly, as confusing as Avernum and Avadon are, Avadon and Abbadon would be worse.

—Alorael, who doesn't think places of hellish torment usually get put into operating system names. Dangerous but majestic great cats are about as far as anyone will go.

Abbadon isn't a place, it's a person (or entity). I wasn't suggesting the name for a game, but making a snide comment about how well Microsoft seems to do at stringing two good versions of Windows after each other. Since Win 98 (OK, but not different enough from 95 to be considered a real version in my opinion) ME <====<<< BAD, XP <====<<< Good, Vista <====<<< BAD, Win7 <====<<< Jury Still Out, Abaddon <====<<< BAD

Originally Posted By: Skwish-E
Abbadon isn't a place, it's a person (or entity).
In Christian scripture, it is a person or entity. In Hebrew scripture, it is a place.

Originally Posted By: Skwish-E
Since Win 98 (OK, but not different enough from 95 to be considered a real version in my opinion)
98 had considerably more support for networking than 95. It also used a different filesystem, much better USB support, and was the first version of Windows to support DVD drives. The UI was very similar to 95, but the differences under the hood were greater than the differences between Vista, which really wasn't that bad, and 7.

Thanks, Tyranicus, I'm not as well-versed in the Hebrew scriptures as I should be, apparently.

On the Windows side, I was expecting someone to call me out for ignoring W2K instead of picking apart my over-simplistic, personal opinions of the others. It's fun sometimes to throw out bait and see who goes for it, though it isn't a technique I use often.