Dungeons and darkness

czartchonn

Light sources increase the radius that you can see in dimly lit areas. This gives you a chance to notice the monster before it attacks.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Play Avernum 4 where light sources couldn't be used and try to find the blackened body lying on the black floor in the dungeon.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Totally dark caves were by far the worst part of the pokémon video games. I like how spiderweb does darkness - it can be a little harder to see things, particularly switches, but you don't have to go run back and buy a candle every time you find a new cave.

Actually in the older Spiderweb games (BoA and older, excluding the Geneforge games), darkness did mean you couldn't see anything, apart from one space in front of you. It's only the Geneforge/second Avernum trilogy engine that has darkness you can actually see in.

Originally Posted By: Nikki
Originally Posted By: Master1
Totally dark caves were by far the worst part of the pokémon video games. I like how spiderweb does darkness - it can be a little harder to see things, particularly switches, but you don't have to go run back and buy a candle every time you find a new cave.

Actually in the older Spiderweb games (BoA and older, excluding the Geneforge games), darkness did mean you couldn't see anything, apart from one space in front of you. It's only the Geneforge/second Avernum trilogy engine that has darkness you can actually see in.

Of course, since the first mage spell created light for you and cost almost nothing to cast, you hardly ever had to worry about it.

Dikiyoba.

I disagree. We had this in Exile and the old Avernum series. It really just added a bunch of busywork. I'm content to suspend disbelief and assume that the party is smart enough to produce some nominal light source on their own volition, just as I'm able to suspend disbelief and assume that take care of other mundane life tasks.

In earlier Avernums the proper solution to light problems was to cast Light hundreds of times in a row while wandering the outdoors. The light would then last long enough to get you through the entire game, barring any areas with automatic full darkness.

—Alorael, who did not find this particularly fun or even interesting. And even if that were removed, just having to spend a few spell points on illumination or tote around some lamps doesn't actually add much to the game. That's gone for the same reason that mandatory food is.