Who Felt the Earthquake?

Tyranicus

306856_10150258823366237_542851236_80325

This is a friend's picture documenting the extent of the damage here in Maryland. Our house shook pretty well, and all of my friends claim to have run outside. I was still in disbelief throughout the experience. I was searching for alternate explanations until I confirmed with my brother, who was awakened from his extended nap when his bed shook.

Originally Posted By: Master1
306856_10150258823366237_542851236_80325
This is a friend's picture documenting the extent of the damage here in Maryland. Our house shook pretty well, and all of my friends claim to have run outside. I was still in disbelief throughout the experience. I was searching for alternate explanations until I confirmed with my brother, who was awakened from his extended nap when his bed shook.

You're still using an 83? The 90's were over a decade ago, you know...

Originally Posted By: Dantius

When I was in high school in the early 2000's, the TI-83 Plus was the calculator of choice for math classes. In fact, some of our homework required a TI-83. I still see them in office supply stores, so I imagine they still are quite popular.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
I didn't feel it (though a few people in Michigan apparently did)
I live in Michigan (Macomb County), and all I felt was a slight jolt, if that; it felt as though someone had bumped the back of the chair I was sitting on.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Whose fault was this? It can't be San Andreas's fault; he's in California.
There are fault lines not just in California (though they do get a lot of publicity), but all over North America. There was once an earthquake in Missouri that was so strong, it rang bells in Boston.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus

When I was in high school in the early 2000's, the TI-83 Plus was the calculator of choice for math classes. In fact, some of our homework required a TI-83. I still see them in office supply stores, so I imagine they still are quite popular.
I see them around too. Back in the late 1990's and early 2000's, I took some math classes in college, and the professor required us to have a TI-83 or TI-85. I bought the 85, and still use it.

That's my friend's picture, not mine. I've upgraded to an 84 Plus. And the 83/84 is still the standard in most calc classes. Unless you're special enough to have an 89.

Actually I don't use a calculator much anymore, now that I got a more-or-less fully functional Mathematica clone on my phone. Isn't technology wonderful?

That's my friend's picture, not mine. I've upgraded to an 84 Plus. And the 83/84 is still the standard in most calc classes. Unless you're special enough to have an 89.

Actually I don't use a calculator much anymore, now that I got a more-or-less fully functional Mathematica clone on my phone. Isn't technology wonderful?
is it free and if so name.

Originally Posted By: Sylae

is it free and if so name.

Spacetime, and it costs either 20 or 25 bucks. Still worth it,even if the UI can be a bit clunky at times.

I think what happened is that the TI-83 name became common enough during the very late 90's that TI realized they had some branding power with it, and they started releasing new models and editions under the -83 name rather than increasing the number as they had done in the past.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
I think what happened is that the TI-83 name became common enough during the very late 90's that TI realized they had some branding power with it, and they started releasing new models and editions under the -83 name rather than increasing the number as they had done in the past.
They made a minor update in the form of the TI-83 Plus, which has a small amount of flash memory and a flat screen instead of a slightly angled one. Those are the only differences, and that model, which I used in high school, is the one I still see for sale.

Back on topic: It appears that the Washington Monument was cracked during the quake and has been closed indefinitely.

Well there's also the Ti-83 Silver Edition which has more power, and comes with a few extra things installed, and now the TI-84 (which also has a plus and silver edition), which is a more powerful and redesigned TI-83, which, as far as I know, only has one or two pre-installed apps to take advantage of the extra power and is otherwise identical to the TI-83.

I would, however, argue that TI is catching p with the times, because of the TI nSpire.

Not really. The nspire represents a huge leap forward in user friendliness and design, but an equally large step backwards in terms of higher-level functionality from the 89 Titanium. 3D graphing, slope fields, symbolic differential equation solving, and any sort of serious programming capability other than the variant of TI BASIC which frankly sucks all got left out of the nspires. So yeah, it's no longer a 64x96 pixel display, but now it lacks some serious upper-level functionality. Oh, and did I mention that it's now huge? You could fit an 89 in a pocket with slight difficulty, but the nspires have this huge bulge at the top that makes them less portable.

OTOH, the cx's look like they're going ot fix these issues, since they're reintroducing slope fields, have a new slim design, and a color screen. Color! Screen! The future is awesome!

Originally Posted By: Lilith
It makes sense, when you think about it. TI needs a line of limited-functionality graphing calculators so that they can sell something high schools won't ban their students from using.

Yeah, but they have those. The TI-nspire line is actually two lines- the nspire CAS and the regular nspire. The CAS is what I was talking about- an 89 that's prettier and has less functionality. The regular nspire has the functionality of an 84 with the nspire look- it's pretty much a basic level graphic calculation that I can't imagine would be banned.

To use a car analogy, if I go to a dealer that says it's offering a Lexus and a Prius, and I buy the Lexus, I expect it to work better than my old-model Lexus. I don't want to hear that they put a Prius engine in it because other car makers were complaining it made their cars look bad and car magazines thought it was too powerful for the money.

I was under the impression that the 3D graphing on the 89's was rather useless because of the small screen and wireframe styling.

To use a car analogy, if I go to a dealer that says it's offering a Lexus and a Prius, and I buy the Lexus, I expect it to work better than my old-model Lexus. I don't want to hear that they put a Prius engine in it because other car makers were complaining it made their cars look bad and car magazines thought it was too powerful for the money.

So this happened with TI's calculators? Citation please.

Originally Posted By: The (Armored) Ratt

So this happened with TI's calculators? Citation please.

1. Obtain a TI-nspire CAS, a calculator based in many ways off the TI-89, the prior high-end model the nspire CAS was meant to replace

2. Attempt to compile a program written in C on a computer and run it on the CAS, something that you could do on the 89. Alternately, try to plot a slope field and plot the solution of a differential equation on a vanilla CAS without additional programs installed.

3. Observe that you cannot do either of those things. That certainly seems like they hyped p a product as a "replacement" that actually had less functionality than the product it replaced.

Good enough?