Uninvented Products/Services

Mod.

Originally Posted By: Mod.
Speech class is k illing me. Now I need an uninvented product service and I got nothing from brainstorming all week. Need a speech outline by tuesday, don't even have my topic yet. Can anyone spare any good ideas?

Do you need an uninvented product, an uninvented service, or an uninvented product/service that are related in some way?

I'm guessing that since this is for school, thinking of school services that would affect you would probably make it easier to connect with your audience. Every students have complaints with the school system. Try thinking of products or services that could alleviate someone's concern with the system.

For example (I'm not sure if this is still the case), back when I was in school, I had to buy my own textbooks, which inevitably had criminally high prices- often well above $500 to $1000 every year! Of course, we now have iPad's and Kindles that can be bought for significantly less, so what if you provided a service where you partnered with a school bookstore or textbook company to sell students Kindles preloaded with ebooks of their personal course load, which, if bought in bulk, could be far cheaper than the cost of buying new textbooks every year. Some solution to a school problem like that might go over quite well with your teacher, and if you speech and idea is good enough, it might well head up the grapevine to someone who might be able to implement it.

Chew on that for a bit and see if it helps. If you need someone to help revise your outline or draft for you, I'd love to help. I did speech and debate for years back in HS, and I've always been passionate about it.

What does 'uninvented' mean in this context? Not yet invented (as in you need to make up something which doesn't currently exist), or so basic or longstanding that no particular person can claim to have invented it?

If the former, it sounds like this could be a good opportunity to have fun. If what you're to be graded on is your speaking rather than the topic about which you speak, speak passionately about something ridiculous. Extoll the virtues of golf courses for pet cats, hiring someone to follow you around and make excuses when ever you need them, dishes made of lithium with a thin wax coating (all the heft of metal dishes, but drop them into hot water and they literally vanish!), or proxy astronauts, who will go in your place if you're ever drafted to be sent into space.

Originally Posted By: Niemand

If the former, it sounds like this could be a good opportunity to have fun. If what you're to be graded on is your speaking rather than the topic about which you speak, speak passionately about something ridiculous. Extoll the virtues of golf courses for pet cats, hiring someone to follow you around and make excuses when ever you need them, dishes made of lithium with a thin wax coating (all the heft of metal dishes, but drop them into hot water and they literally vanish!), or proxy astronauts, who will go in your place if you're ever drafted to be sent into space.

don't do this. i was that kid who always did this and look how i turned out

Originally Posted By: Lilith

Yeah, be careful when trying to deliver a funny speech in school. There's no tougher crowd than a room full of students.

Originally Posted By: Lt. Sullust
iii. A discrete way to go to the bathroom when in the middle of a traffic jam.

After driving home from Wisconsin, I can heartily agree with this. At one point, we spent 2 hours moving 8 miles around Chicago.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
A discrete way to go to the bathroom would be uncomfortable, I'd much prefer a continuous way of going to the bathroom. Differentiable would just be icing on the cake!

That's just awful tongue

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Originally Posted By: Lilith

Yeah, be careful when trying to deliver a funny speech in school. There's no tougher crowd than a room full of students.

I found that out during American government section of history when my group had to write out a proposed law. We did one to protect whales from being hunted in Illinois (no chance of that happening that far inland). smile

The class hated it, but we got the highest grade for doing it properly.

Quote:
I found that out during American government section of history when my group had to write out a proposed law. We did one to protect whales from being hunted in Illinois (no chance of that happening that far inland). smile

I'm pretty sure that whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

Still trying to brainstorm. Thanks for the help guys.

Asking your friend out on a first date? Giving an important presentation in class? You need speech insurance.

Here's how it works. Before your speech, you submit a planned script and pay a premium of $1.25 per planned minute. Then record your speech. If you flub your lines, forget to make eye contact, accidentally speak in a monotone, fall off the stage, or suffer other calamities during your speech, simply submit the recording for review by claims adjusters. They will compare what you actually said to what you had intended to say, and then pay you compensation of 80% of the estimated cost incurred by each error. Then you can buy a box of chocolates for your friend, slip a quiet bribe to your teacher, or at least feel like the day wasn't a total loss.

For a modest additional fee, dependent upon the quality of your script, you can also buy insurance against unexpected audience reactions, such as if they fail to laugh at your jokes or if they do laugh at what was meant to be a serious proposal.

If you make a mistake while cooking breakfast and accidentally burn down your house, you'll receive compensation from your fire insurance. If you make a mistake while driving to school and accidentally crash your car, you'll receive compensation from your auto insurance. But the most important part of your day isn't your breakfast or your commute; it's your interactions with other people. If you make a mistake during the important part of the day, and lose a friend or fail a class, won't you want to be compensated for that loss too? Buy speech insurance and enjoy peace of mind.

(As a bonus, being insured against possible mistakes will make you more relaxed and less likely to make those mistakes in the first place. It's win-win!)

Originally Posted By: Karoka
Filtering water bottle! Shake up the water in the bottle, and within minutes, it will be filtered! The dirt will come out at the bottom, just like how waste comes out of our bottom! Now you can safely drink rain, ocean water, and other sources of filthy water!

Those have been done for years now.

But a bottle that could filter out salt would actually be a huge money-maker given the current availability of seawater.

—Alorael, who isn't so sure rain belongs in your advertisement. As water goes, rain's pretty safe. It helps to be far from urban centers and it can't hurt to boil it, but rain's pretty good.

Originally Posted By: X-treme Justice!
—Alorael, who isn't so sure rain belongs in your advertisement. As water goes, rain's pretty safe. It helps to be far from urban centers and it can't hurt to boil it, but rain's pretty good.

Duh! That's why I only drink only distilled rainwater, and pure grain alcohol!

Originally Posted By: X-treme Justice!
If you're distilling it, the source isn't so important anymore. And if it's pure alcohol, the source also isn't very important.

—Alorael, who does not drink... water. Or... grain alcohol. He drinks... ellipses.

You obviously... haven't watched enough Kubrick to be able... to recognize Dr. Strangelove quotes...

Put those ellipses in your glass and drink 'em!

Some of us appreciate the need to avoid diluting the precious bodily fluids.

My favorite uninvented product is laser coffee. It's based on two irrefutable premises:

1) We need to make better coffee. Even the best espresso doesn't taste as good as freshly roasted coffee smells.

2) With a good enough laser, you can do anything. (Fundamental theorem of quantum optics.)

It follows that it must be possible to make better coffee with lasers. Exactly how, I'm not sure. Maybe we simultaneously roast and grind the beans with lasers, reducing them to uniformly sized particles, each perfectly roasted. Then it's probably silly to heat the water with lasers, but we could pump exquistely shaped laser pulses through the brew in order to guide solvation, extracting more good flavors and fewer bad ones. It's a matter of trumping chemistry with physics. Chemistry means electrons hopping around, electrons are electric charges, and laser light is electric and magnetic fields. The principle works, and is called laser catalysis. It's just never been applied to coffee (or anything nearly as complicated) before.

The result: ultimate coffee. Laser coffee!

The business model is also clear, of course. Starbucks hit the big time by inventing the five dollar cup of coffee. My friends, we will invent the five hundred dollar cup of coffee.

As tempting as laser coffee sounds, I think I am settling with a noise dampening device. Blocks sounds, but doesn't interfere with sounds coming from your direction. Eh, something like that, don't tell me I can just use earplugs or headphones. Problem is now, I need a catchy name for it, and not "Laser Noise Dampener".

Ooh! ooh! How about a very small flying mecha-bug?! Then you could have a screen (that obviously isn't attached to it) that shows you what it sees and hears. Then a controller with the following buttons:

UP- Forward

DOWN- Backward

RIGHT- Turn Right

LEFT- Turn Left

Side UP- Fly up

Side DOWN- Fly down

Center Square- Toggle movement controls (If off, 1st four buttons for land movement. If on, 1st four buttons for flight control.)

Re laser noise dampener: You could probably pitch it as a variation on the acoustic invisibility cloak (inaudibility cloak?) that has been in the news lately, simply running in reverse. I'm pretty sure there ought to exist such a thing, in principle, because I think that the wave equation for sound has a time reversal symmetry. So if there exists a configuration of baffles and reflectors that holds sound in, there should also exist one which instead keeps sound out.

Not quite sure why you'd want this, though. Getting quiet is great, but why is it so critical that other people be able to hear you? Why not just close a door, and then open it if you want to talk to someone?

No, it allows you to control the direction at which it removes sound. You can chat with someone while listening to music or something, and wont have to worry about noise pollution. It also allows other people to not hear you, if you want to be silent. 30% or europeans experience 55 dB or more of sound at night, more than 30 causes difficulty sleeping, so it can benefit health. You can use it to slower the intensity of sounds so you can still hear things you want to hear, but at a lower volume if needed.

Well, don't have time to write an outline for a new product anyway.

Edit: Ok, I didn't think I made typos in my first post and I didn't think so in this one either. I think this forum is trying to mess with me. Ill leave the typos there though.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
They tried to have Get Smart taken off the air as a threat to national security for using spy devices that the CIA uses

Citation please

Well, I just checked the Wikipedia article, and it says:

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
Devices such as a shoe phone, The Cone Of Silence (which reportedly worried the CIA, because it was too close to an actual device they used) [bold not in original] and inner apartment booby traps were a regular part of most episodes

The CIA did not try to get the show taken off the air. The CIA did not worry about anyone finding out about the 'Silent Shroud' project. There was just an interesting correlation between the two. Knowledge of the existence of 'Silent Shroud', though limited to the public, was commonplace in the intelligence community, and did nothing to diminish the effectiveness of the device. It was abandoned due to the difficulties of using it over long distances. The agents got tired of having to constantly repeat themselves when the dampening sounds got out of synch, and usually eventually turned it off to facilitate clear communication at the expense of secure communication.

Of course, none of this is true, and it never really happened.

From The Life and Times of Maxwell Smart by Donna McCrohan (1988) on page 172 in an interview with Jeremiah McAward formerly with the CIA:

Quote:
I happened to mention to a friend that I would be giving this interview. He had been in the Agency, highly placed, in the Sixties. His reaction was to tell me that Get Smart really had the Agency worried, because the show was getting too close to reality. The were particularly worried about the Cone of Silence, because we pretty much had one, which was supposed to be a secret. He said he remembers several discussions among members of his echelon, as to whether they should go to the producers of Get Smart with a list of things to stay away from. They never did, which is just as well. The list might have turned up spoofed as an episode of Get Smart[/].

If I can find the other books, I'll see if I can find another reference. This is from pre-Google days when you have to use real paper books. smile