Dragon's Libram?

VCH

Yes, this is where I got my comeupance early in the game. I was waltzing through, thinking how *easy* the "hard" setting seemed, and was forced to swallow my pride, pop the difficulty to "casual," and *still* end up running in desperation past the last set of salamanders to make the stairway and "safety." Not that what waited at the other end of the stairs was much better, at that level...

After I finished this quest (my characters haven't left the demo area yet) I was really shocked on how puny the reward was. The weapon I got was so very much better then the one she gave me, AND it was barely worth anything. If I found the reward this bad this early in he game, there isn't much incentive to come back later in the game and do it wen its easier, since the reward would seem even more pathetic. I was really disapointed by the lack of awesome (or at the very least adequate) rewards received after I went through so much effort to get her her book while level six.

I was a bit disappointed you couldn't avoid the rune by teleporting across. Finally, I thought, a great use for teleport! But no. I couldn't find the switch and now I'm like at level 13 and still haven't completed the quest. I guess I'll go back next time I'm in town and complete it just to get it off my list. And if I'm offended by the reward I guess I can always just kill her.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did this one, and I have to say, I don't even really care what the reward will be - I liked it just because it was one of the most seriously challenging parts of the game thus far (I'm at level 7 or thereabouts, I think, though most of my characters have gained a couple of levels just during this part, so I could be wrong). Every character got killed - sorry, "knocked unconscious" at least once (some several times), and there were several combats I barely scraped through with the surviving character(s) having barely any health at all. So of course like a complete madwoman I kept going off down random tunnels in search of yet more reptiles of various sorts to get killed by fight... And picked up a lot of cool stuff along the way, not to mention a ton of experience.

Also, found a couple more areas down there that I was tempted to explore (one temple full of imps and one wretch raiders' base), but didn't because I thought they might be the subject of later quests.

Anyway, for me it was totally worth doing just for the adventure potential. Most of the way through I kept thinking "This is crazy! I am so not ready for this! I'm going to die any moment!" and yet not quite dying, so all in all it was a pretty nice adrenaline high. smile

I on the other hand, didn't end up doing this until the end of my second trip through Kva where I was in the high teens and, instead of being one of the most fun and challenging areas of the game like it seems to be for everybody else, it was pathetically easy.

Why did I wait so long? Because I didn't see the *# switch. Thanks for making the game more fun with those switches, Jeff!!!!!

My tactic when going through there was to just try to draw out those dang lizards one by one. If there were to many, I just gave up and reloaded. I still burned a lot of potions and scrolls going through there. I never ment to say that I didn't find the area challenging and fun, but that I didn't like the reward that came out of it. If you go through there at early levels and work your butt off and burn a lot of items, you expect to get something that at least partially makes up for that. If you go through at later levels, you would probably just look at the reward and go "Meh. If I would have done this sooner, that would have been more useful." And then you would sell it and not really mind that the reward wasn't all that great since it was a low level quest. But the thing is, those people who spend all that effort going through that place early (well, most of it. I still waited until later for some of it. Even then I found some fights challenging *cough*stupidshade*cough*) just deserve a little more for all the effort they put in.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Øther
[rant]Text[/rant]

I just got through this area myself at about level 5-7, and I find the reward a complete waste as well, and to top it off, I learned that I can't attack Angevine now, so now I don't even get the satisfaction of looting her corpse or her tower. I feel gypped.

I was able to get through with a level 7 pc tongue [on casual up to hard, haven't tried torment], singleton. Without using a single consumable... how I did it was amazingly cheap though x3 I killed the one on the first floor single file, snuck past the group with the scaled thrashers to the second floor... snuck round/killed the slime lizards [healing scarab + healing focus/shadow charm worked well when backed into a corner so only three at a time could hit me.] then... for the swarms of salamanders blocking the exit... I got within visual range of one... and went into combat mode... when it charged me I ran. It and its buddies chased me all the way back to the portcullis... at which point I quickly locked it, separated me from them for crowd control purposes... after that all I had to do is align myself behind it in such a way that it was a one on one exchange... and I killed them single file with missiles x3 it took a while, but netted me ALOT of xp, and the loot relatively early.

• 1 month later...