I love old games

Masquerade

Its the last day of the school holidays and i reluctantly begin year twelve tomorrow, I want a longer holiday dammit! I was in a melancholy mood and i read Jeff's blog article on how he doesn't play old games anymore because they're boring, so i did the logical thing and played a 20 year old game.

I played loom.

I'm about to gush now, i think I'm aloud to gush on this board. You still there? ok stand back I'm gonna gush.

Man that game is amazing, the music and the script and all the characters are crafted with such care and Ive never seen anything that's quite like loom before or since, and that might be part of its appeal. The game just has a magical, philosophical quality to it that touches you right inside without ever being zealous or enigmatic. The graphics are pretty dated but they're never alowed to detract from anything else in the game somehow, hell bobbin could be a big pixily blob and id still be entranced. The open ending sucked at first but the game just keeps on spinning around and around in my head long after i finished playing it, the level of thought and speculation it inspires in my head (which really should be focusing on getting ready for school, dammit) makes up for the lack of closure, hell the open ending pretty much moulds the game, it makes it real instead of a cliched battle against the evil forces of yada yada and blah blah blah. An yet i still want to play more, dammit, why did adventure games have to die out? why! cry

But i digress, the philosophical, magical qualities of loom seems to have been lost to the game industry today cause i cant find anything else that i can play without comparing it to loom, granted this will probibly ware off by tomorrow, knowing me, but i think ill always have a spot in my heart and my hard drive for it.

Imagine my shock when i find that that there are not one but two fan sequels currently in the works by two different groups of people no less!! I want to play them, really i do but I'm scared it might break the magic, but at the same time i want to know what happens next.

Is there anybody left? Sorry to go so wildly off topic, but there isn't another gamers forum i know of that doesn't degrade into statistics and programming after a few posts, or simply state that if it isn't current it isn't cool. You guys, however, are awesome but knowing you this topic will steer of into a conversation about linguistics or 19th century music theory after a couple of posts, if this gets any posts, ah well you have to throw out a few fish to catch a whale after all, at least I think that's how the saying goes, do correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been in an "old" game mood lately. I'm playing through Wario Land 3 right now, and I'm going to bust out the 2d Zeldas and my N64 soon. There might be a game or two on the Gamecube too, but I've got a ways to go yet.

Alternatively, I tried playing Jet Force Gemini, one of my favorite games as a kid, over the summer, and the controls were terrible. A lot of that game is fantastic, but the aiming and camera angles are so abysmal I couldn't get through much of it.

What am I saying is that some games age well while some don't.

The Loom fan sequels have been in the works for years and years. I think they're reliably vaporware. TellTale Games has said something about considering making a sequel, but I don't think anything has come of that, either. Do I sound like a fan? Loom was one of the very first games I played. It's not quite as traditional as cutting one's teeth on Zork, but in its small way I think it's responsible for getting me hooked on fantasy, and therefore RPGs, and therefore posting on these forums.

—Alorael, who is currently playing through Planescape: Torment. Another great game, although it's only one decade old instead of two. And it has received most of the recognition it deserves.

Originally Posted By: rage, rage against the light
The Loom fan sequels have been in the works for years and years. I think they're reliably vaporware.

I thought that they were vaporware too, but these ones have actually been updated, there is a technical demo, lots of preveiw screenshots and acording to the status bar almost all of the backrounds (which are beautiful 2D vga esque paintings) are done, it looks really promising! heres the link The Forge

There are the modders who update engines, churn out patches, and generally keep the game playable as long as possible. Then there are the ones who remake the game in an entirely different engine.

—Alorael, who was highly impressed by the Ultima V and Ultima 6 remakes using Dungeon Siege. If Baldur's Gate 2: Redux sees the light of day, he'll be even more impressed. Turning one of the longest RPGs into a copy of iteslf with another dimension added on would be a huge accomplishment.

Ah, I used to love that game. Was one of the first games of that style I ever played, along with Monkey Island. I still remember from MI3, at the end where you can bring up how no-one ever remembers Bobbin Threadbare.

It really is a shame that you don't get the same kind of point 'n' clicks as you did back then. I really miss some of those games, like The Dig, the Gabriel Knight, Simon the Sorceror and Broken Sword series and their ilk. Unfortunately these days, it seems the closest you get from anything approaching the mainstream is the occasional Sam and Max game.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
I've been in an "old" game mood lately. I'm playing through Wario Land 3 right now, and I'm going to bust out the 2d Zeldas and my N64 soon. There might be a game or two on the Gamecube too, but I've got a ways to go yet.
Thanks, you're putting me in the mood to dig out Atari 2600' Adventure.

And Jeff says the old games suck.

—Alorael, who will admit that he can't really weigh in. He's never been a prolific gamer, and many of the great games he's played have been experienced well after they've been acknowledged as great (and fallen into the bargain bins). He hasn't had exposure to all the fun games that, a few years down the line, aren't fun anymore. From his perspective, though, while there are old games that become awfully clunky, there are also games that now seem clunky but can still hold their own. (Ultima is really clunky. SCUMM games are surprisingly still accessible.)

Originally Posted By: Tirien
And im digging out my old super nintendo. Seems like the quality of games (plot-wise) has gone down the proverbial toilet these days.
Tell me about it. When it comes to many of today's game plots, I've seen better when Pac-Man was in its heyday.
Originally Posted By: Raise your hand
And, for the most part, he's right, at least from a graphics standpoint. Remember Pong? wink

Originally Posted By: Jeff
Oh, and I will finally know that we have shaken off the dust of the past when it is no longer possible to play Joust. God, but I hate Joust.
I used to like Joust back in the day. That's probably because for the longest time, it was one of the few games I was any good at (so good, in fact, that I was on the list of high scores at a local skating rink for a year or two).

Originally Posted By: Raise your hand

—Alorael, who will admit that he can't really weigh in. He's never been a prolific gamer, and many of the great games he's played have been experienced well after they've been acknowledged as great (and fallen into the bargain bins). He hasn't had exposure to all the fun games that, a few years down the line, aren't fun anymore. From his perspective, though, while there are old games that become awfully clunky, there are also games that now seem clunky but can still hold their own. (Ultima is really clunky. SCUMM games are surprisingly still accessible.)

I can agree with you on that one, I dug up most of my now favorite games from Abandonia, the only two of my favorite 90's games i actually played in the 90's are the day of the tentacle and Mortimer: the riddles of the medallion which is so obscure that it doesn't even have a wikipedia page! Ive downloaded a stupidly huge amount of games from abandonia but the only the sierra and scumm games seem to stick, with the exeption of wolf.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
I used to like Joust back in the day. That's probably because for the longest time, it was one of the few games I was any good at (so good, in fact, that I was on the list of high scores at a local skating rink for a year or two).

Joust, I used to love that game too, always liked to play with my dad on the Atari growing up, that and Robotron!

I still play Fallout and Fallout2 on occasion, tried playing Pool of Radiance a bit ago, but the graphics weren't working right. Anyone here ever play Hardwar?

Thank you for the link to Abandonia, Masquerade. I've been looking around on the odd occasion for sites that might host public domain games for download. My old CD with a bunch of the games I love broke in my last move so I lost a number of old favorites.

Any other places I might hunt around on for various games? Specifically, if they are public domain now, the old Pool of Radiance trilogy. I used to play that one for weeks at a time on my Apple II GS as a kid. Such good times!

• 3 weeks later...

Loom is one of the first modern computer games I played as a kid. I love that game but I had no idea kids could get into something like that these days. It brings a tear to me eye...

Loom heralded a bunch of really cool games made in the early ninetees. Maybe Future Wars was released before Loom though. I have fonder memories of Loom anyway.

Now you say Loom is old but to me old is like Ultima IV and I wouldn't play games which are that old (except perhaps for IF and even then my favorite titles are more recent) as much as I had fun with Pirates! as a kid.

I looked up the release date and I remember playing Loom before it was released. It's strange that I remember being a bit younger than I was when I discovered that game in particular. I got the other release dates I checked about right, which means that Future Wars was the groundbreaking one.

Here's the place to discuss old games I guess:

http://forum.homeoftheunderdogs.net/viewforum.php?f=3

It's probably not what it was (not by a long shot!) but at least it's alive now.

I liked CotW's lack of a real "combat mode," allowing me to save my game at any time. I also liked how random everything was; except for certain encounters, it was never the same game twice!

So yeah, it sucks that CotW won't run in Win7 (it runs in just about every Windows version from 3.1 all the way through Vista). Oh well, I can always run it in DosBox, VirtualBox, etc.

Originally Posted By: Ham is also A Piece of Pork
Originally Posted By: SpacemanSpiff
Castle of the Winds has been one of my favourites for years. Pity it apparently doesn't work on the newest computers. I like how it can be left on in the background, and your guy (or girl) won't get killed.

It works for me with a XP sp3 OS
I say again:
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
So yeah, it sucks that CotW won't run in Win7 (it runs in just about every Windows version from 3.1 all the way through Vista).
I've personally run CotW in Windows 98, NT, XP, 2000, and Vista; and the game was originally written for Windows 3.0/3.1.

DOSBox doesn't actually run DOS, it runs what is, as best I understand it, a kind of reverse-engineered DOS-like shell. It's illegal to pirate games to run with DOSBox, but the program itself is legal. In fact, several entirely upstanding and modern companies have included DOSBox in re-releases of old games.

—Alorael, who also thinks the distinction between piracy and use of abandonware is a useful one. Abandonware may not be legal, but it can be impossible to acquire legal copies of old games, and there may not even still be a company holding the rights.

Copyrights can't disappear. Unless someone deliberately and explicitly releases software into the public domain, it's copyrighted, and someone holds those rights. But there are games when, as companies are bought and sold, go out of business, and split up, it becomes unclear who actually holds which rights.

—Alorael, who will be interested in seeing whether anyone is interested in running software once the copyright period expires. Since that's 95 years in the US, it'll be a while.

Originally Posted By: A Hard Day's Rest
—Alorael, who will be interested in seeing whether anyone is interested in running software once the copyright period expires. Since that's 95 years in the US, it'll be a while.
Highly unlikely, but it's definitely within the realm of possibility.

I can just imagine some old geezer getting hold of a copy of some game he used to play as a boy, now copyright-free, and trying to get it to run on his brand-new computer—if such a thing could even be done, considering he'd be trying to run a program that's potentially a century out of date. Odds are he'd need to run some kind of emulator within an emulator within an emulator within an emulator within an emulator within an emulator within an emulator just to get the computer to recognize the software.

Originally Posted By: A Hard Day's Rest
DOSBox doesn't actually run DOS, it runs what is, as best I understand it, a kind of reverse-engineered DOS-like shell.

Other companies used to make DOS, but Microsoft forced them out of business with scare tactics that their products would cause fatal computer problems if used. Microsoft would check for their copyright notice in the program and send an error warning if it wasn't detected.

Microsoft made the rather appropriately titled MS-DOS, along with the many other DOSes. I don't know what, technically, is required for something to be DOS, but I'm not sure that the thing that does not actually operate a system run in DOSBox meets that standard.

—Alorael, who hopes, however, that the program is BOX-DOS. That would be ideal.