I Improved the Spiderweb Software Message Boards

Enraged Slith

Originally Posted By: waterplant
I would turn into Enraged waterplant if I travelled all the way to South Africa to attend a World Cup match only to be driven out of the stadium at half-time with a splitting headache.

Dikiyoba thought enduring loud, irritating noises was the point of attending soccer matches.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Dikiyoba thought enduring loud, irritating noises was the point of attending soccer matches.
Yes, but while fight songs are (somewhat) endearing, the horns are just annoying.

That said, I still prefer them over thundersticks. Sticks aren't that bad if they're used as percussion to a song, but most of the time it's just people banging wildly.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: waterplant
I would turn into Enraged waterplant if I travelled all the way to South Africa to attend a World Cup match only to be driven out of the stadium at half-time with a splitting headache.

I thought that that was the point of sports in general.

Bread and circuses, that's my perspective on the whole thing.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Yes, but while fight songs are (somewhat) endearing, the horns are just annoying.

That said, I still prefer them over thundersticks. Sticks aren't that bad if they're used as percussion to a song, but most of the time it's just people banging wildly.
If you think that's bad, try living with The Hum.

Originally Posted By: Monroe
Uhg, some of us do live with a ring. You know, from attending one too many rock concerts. I can't even sleep in complete silence anymore.
You're preaching to the choir on this. But I agree, it's highly irritating.

Imagine, if you will,
, sped up to about 50 times normal, with the pitch changed so that it's just inside the upper range of human hearing, and played backwards ad infinitum for at least 25-30 years and counting, stuck in the head of what's now a 32-year-old man. And you can't figure out the cause, there's no way to stop it, and nobody believes that you're hearing it in the first place. That, in a nutshell, is my life.

I also have tinnitus, in my left ear. It's been there for over 20 years now, and I'm pretty used to it. I have to think about it to check that it's still there. Mine was actually caused by gunfire, but it was just a training exercise, and it was my own fault — I should have been a meter or two further back. It's worth bearing in mind, if you do any shooting. Obviously bullets are the overriding safety issue, but it's worth avoiding the sound cone of a rifle muzzle, as well as the line of fire itself.

Playing a musical instrument can cause that. Sitting in front of the brass section and behind the piccolos is the best way to achieve it. Better yet play the piccolo while sitting in front of the brass section.

From what individuals who have this problem say, they have a hard time hearing things such as conversation when there's a lot of background noise, but they are much better at hearing differences in tones.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
...I mean, that must really suck.
Yeah, I'll admit it does; however, I've long since gotten used to it. I've also learned to distinguish between the "normal" ringing and things that sound similar to it. And believe it or not, it's actually lessened a bit since they started phasing out CRT televisions and monitors.

Originally Posted By: Sss-Chah
since when does anything soccer related have a point?
You know, don't go around bashing an individual sport. I might be jumping to conclusions with this, but just because you don't like soccer or don't think soccer is a sport doesn't mean other people agree with you. I'm sure there are people that don't like your favorite sport as well.

If you really just want to have a philisophical argument I apologize for what I said and I would like to add, since when does anything related to modern sports have a point?

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
since when does anything related to modern sports have a point?
If there ever was a point for any sporting event, it's pretty much gone now. It seems to me that they've all devolved into nothing more than an excuse to get together with a group of rowdy people (friends or otherwise), consume a good percentage of one's weight in beer and junk food, and act like a complete idiot.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: The Ratt
since when does anything related to modern sports have a point?
If there ever was a point for any sporting event, it's pretty much gone now. It seems to me that they've all devolved into nothing more than an excuse to get together with a group of rowdy people (friends or otherwise), consume a good percentage of one's weight in beer and junk food, and act like a complete idiot.

I find this rather offensive.