A6 - Food?

VCH

Is food actually limiting? I started the game looting every piece I could find. Then I got curious from the message after leaving the castle for the 1st time about how food is so important. To test food's importance I stored all that I had at the fissure post, and haven't picked up anything in a long time. When do the effects of no food kick in and what are they?

I'm still pretty early in my first game, but so far it looks like food's going to be like light was in A5 -- you have to have it, but the game provides so much more than you need and you use it so slowly that it would be extremely difficult to actually run out.

Of course, it may be that there's no food at all in later in the game and the stuff you find in the Great Cave is all you'll get for the entire game. But I sort of doubt it. And I'm not sure that it would be all that hard to avoid running out even if that was the case.

Food started out being eaten more often in early versions of the game. Now it's very trivial for you as a soldier. It's meant to be presented as critical in the Avernum world due to the blight, but not to you, as a well-fed soldier. I just carried mushrooms around (the kind you keep finding in the wild) and sold everything else for $$. Occasionally, you will eat. If you aren't running a singleton, allocating one inventory space to food isn't too big a deal.

-S-

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Going back to a friendly town also eliminates the effect.

Oh forget it! I didn't know going into town would remove the effect. I guess I pick up all my food and continue on. I think it would have made the game better if food had been more important for my party.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure what starvation does to you, but honestly you don't have to worry about it at all.

You pickup enough food throughthe game that you'llnever need half of it- in fact, I recommend selling meats, fish, and bread, while keeping fruit and mushrooms. Once you get to the Abyss, there are so many fruit I doubt you'll run out of them for most of the game without going back to fetch more rolls.

Also, fort remote cook gives you an additional roll, giving you twice as long between trips if you do sell all food.

Originally Posted By: Skythyryx
Also, fort remote cook gives you an additional roll, giving you twice as long between trips if you do sell all food.
You can also get rolls from Dharmon, the castle, and probably a few other places as well, all within the same time period. If you abuse the teleport pylons, you can stockpile quite a large amount of food, and probably sell most (if not all) of the rest.