Avernum 4 is out!

Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Why do my parents have to have dial-up?

EDIT: Yes, I intentionally spelled it with 9 'h's...

I will be counting the hours until I get access to the high-speed at school.

EDIT: Actually, I'll wait until JV releases it. This smells... fishy.

--------------------

Well, I meet a lot of people, and I'm convinced that the vast majority of wrong-thinking people are right.

- Monty Python

Quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:
Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
He's not here. laugh

But seriously, why not just wait until the official word comes? Don't you think it's a bit sketchy?

EDIT: And "Avernmu" is just kinda funny. Looks like you were really excited when you made that post...

Uh.

Is that link supposed to work? If I remember correctly, you need a username/password combination to log in to SW's ftp site. I haven't tried the one I got when I bought BoE, but reason tells me they've changed it since.

Edit: Apparently you can log in anonymously. I would guess you don't get access to the directories to the full versions in that case.

Yeah, that's what I meant. After playing a little longer and finding that it's not quite as bad as I thought (the party moves faster then in Geneforge and you don't have to have them all selected) I might still buy it, but it doesn't really feel like Avernum. (I don't mind Geneforge, I actually bought 1 & 2, but I was expecting Avernum)

If you don't like clicking, keep using the arrows or numeric keypad. I used the keypad for most movement and the mouse only for long, boring overland treks with absolutely nothing to explore.

—Alorael, who also recommends looking at the preferences just in case there are some you might want to change.

After eagerly awaiting this game, and hoping against hope that Mac Avernum fans were wrong about it, I downloaded the demo.

I think my biggest problem with A4 is going into it expecting it to play like the previous Avernum games. Big mistake. This feels TOTALLY different to Avernum in so many ways that I think if the game wasn't called Avernum 4 and the names of places were different, I'd believe it was not part of the series.

I really do get the idea that this game was aimed more for those that enjoy the Geneforge series, as it has more of that feel about it. And while I'd agree it's a nice idea to get more people into Avernum, I just don't think most Avernum fans will really get into A4 when compared with the previous titles in the saga. Maybe a case of sequel syndrome here, a lot of the things I liked about A1/2/3 seem to be missing and a lot of new elements I'm not fond of have replaced them.

Anyone agree/disagree?

This discussion's been had many, many times now... but we'll do it again.

A4 definitely doesn't feel like the previous games, which I'm annoyed about. It was good for one solid run through, but the fact that it's so combat-centered (as opposed to ye olde plot-, atmosphere-, and puzzle-driven Avernums) pretty much kills the replay value. For comparison, I've gladly replayed A2 several times now (haven't managed it for A3 yet... I always lose steam after the slimes).

I understand the need for an engine update (well, kind of... the Avernum engine was fine, but I still kinda get it). However, it loses the atmosphere that's been built up over the previous games... wandering through huge caves is so much more fun in outdoors mode.

So yeah, it's not quite as horrible of a monstrosity as some (read: TM) will say, but it's not the Avernum we've come to love. Thus, I'm happy to have returned to BoA.

I'm doing the smart thing and hitching on to my college's 10mbps broadband connection...

He he he.

In fact, the whole thing downloaded as I was typing this post! Yay for broadband. And my poor dialup at home was spared the pain... it was predicting it at 5 hours last night.

Now all I need is to get a decent monitor that can display the right resolution...

Quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:
Now all I need is to get a decent monitor that can display the right resolution...
Me too. That's my problem. Although I found my another 15inch monitor can display 1024x768 85Hz with no problem, the text are harder to read. Everything are too small.

It's big mistake Jeff changed the resolution on his newest games. He should understand that 15inch monitors are standard just few years ago and it's still selling like hotcakes as of now.

Quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:
This discussion's been had many, many times now... but we'll do it again.
Sorry, poor widdle ol' me only just got to play and needed to vent my disappointment.

Quote:

So yeah, it's not quite as horrible of a monstrosity as some (read: TM) will say, but it's not the Avernum we've come to love. Thus, I'm happy to have returned to BoA.
That being said, I pretty much felt that if A4 didn't live up to what Avernum fans were used to that BoA would get renewed interest. I think some BoA players were going to use A4 to get their Avernum "fix" and seeing how things have turned out, I'm sure BoA will probably have more, if any, scenarions in the works now.

I am sorry I've dredged this back up though, now I feel the pain many of the Mac users had for the first release. I did like the new graphics however, except possible the PC graphic where they just sort of hold the sword in the same manner I'd hold a burning torch. I really did like the more "action ready" look of A1/2/3/BoA's PCs, but that's just me.

Heh, forget the Avernum's "action-ready" PC picts, the Exile's PC picts were much better. The portrait/profile picts are good, but the gamescreen representations are boring. I want my black-clad swordmaster and caped warrior, my enchantress with her blood-red dress and staff, my slith wizard with his ball of blue fire...A4 has what, 8 human picts, 2 slith picts, and 2 nephil picts. Yeah yeah there is color variation, but all of them except the default are usually horrendous (er, so my enchantress can color her skin blue, purple, or green...yay...).

Yes, Exile's PC's sure did look like they were up to the task. I still remember thinkign how cool Exile 1.0's PCs looked. They'd have no trouble dispatching their A4 counterparts I'd wager. Seriously, anyone who holds a weapon like they do has NO idea what they're doing. I can just imagine everyone snickering behind their backs now.

Quote:
Luckily for Dikiyoba, Dikiyoba liked both nephil graphics and the other slith graphic.
I liked them to. However, after playing four Avernum games, it'd be nice to get something different.

Anyway, I just put the demo on my machine (A loading screen. *SNIFF* Awww, Avernum's all grown up). I'm looking at the graphics for something to use in my scenario and I see something that makes me scream.

Avernum 4 has become the latest in a long series of games that have a beholder rip-off (Granted, it has nine eyestalks, so it just barely squeezes past the OGL). More signs JV is losing his originality.

PS: Does anyone know how to make the mouse move any faster? It's driving me crazy!

--------------------
Can you guys see a contact lens the size of a dinner plate?
- The Beholder (Big Stick)

Like some other people, I miss the blonde man and woman, but I like that new female graphic. I decided to buy the game afterall...I'm wondering if I'm not going to get the code until Monday (first business day) or if Jeff is working overtime since it's the first weekend confused