Awesome Steam Sale for Spiderweb Games

RainbowDashRadical

This is kind of a labeling error with Steam. This "Spiderweb Software Complete Pack" includes the package "Geneforge Saga", which lists the individual games as not having prices. As a result, the Complete Pack doesn't seem to show them either. In reality, though, you can buy them separately, and their respective prices can be found here.

Hopefully, they will make sense after the summer sale prices change back.

It was like that before the sale. Look at the Avernum bundle: Avernum 4-6. Any given Avernum game just showed the price for the whole pack, which was $11.99 before the sale. When you clicked on it, it listed out that you'd be getting the whole set of games... and you could choose to either buy the Avernum pack, or actually the whole Spiderweb bundle for like $40. But if you realllly wanted you could choose to buy just that one Avernum game for $4.99.

The Geneforge is like that too except I can't recall there ever having been the ability to buy just a solitary Geneforge game. You either have to get the Geneforge saga, or the whole Spiderweb bundle, to get Geneforge. It's like that on gog.com too, you can't get individual Geneforge games but only the bundle of them.

As far as I can tell, that must be the way that Jeff wants it. If you go straight to the source, the Spiderweb website here itself, you can still only get the Geneforge games as a bundle. You can download individual demos but you can't purchase individually, as far as I can figure out.

I could not find that by just going to the games page

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge5/index.html

Go to the actual page for any geneforge game and you just have access to the bundle. I guess you can get there by clicking through the order form page... but unless your motivation is to really support Jeff then why pay as much for one game as you can get them all for at GOG. And since we're talking about the steam sale in this thread I doubt that's the motivation.

Steam has never allowed you to purchase individual geneforge games. Avernum yes but not Geneforge.

To be honest I'm surprised Jeff allows these steam sale weeks and flash sales to discount his games. He was resistant to even using Steam and GoG in the first place but gave in because of the potential exposure. I wonder what kind of sales he gets off Steam in particular.

He was resistant to even using Steam and GoG in the first place but gave in because of the potential exposure.

Mmmm, no.

Jeff tried several times to get on steam, but was rejected/given the cold shoulder. Read more about it here. I can't find a direct quote, but since Jeff actively posted in the topic and didn't say "no that's actually not true" then it's good enough for me. Feel free to go digging.

Yeah, and please touch where the hesitation or resistance is in this post announcing SW was on steam.

Mmmm, no.

Jeff tried several times to get on steam, but was rejected/given the cold shoulder. Read more about it here. I can't find a direct quote, but since Jeff actively posted in the topic and didn't say "no that's actually not true" then it's good enough for me. Feel free to go digging.

Yeah, and please touch where the hesitation or resistance is in this post announcing SW was on steam.

It took a long time for SW to get on steam, I figured it was hesitation, and I thought I remembered reading something about him not loving how he'd probably have to have lower prices on there to get the mass appeal. I still wonder how much sales/exposure he gets off the steam pricing constructs. The Steam regular prices are less than he charges here, plus Steam can take up to 30% sometimes. I don't know how they change their percentages during sales. But I wonder how worth it it has been, overall.

Steam allows Jeff to set his own prices and do his own sales. He's talked about that being a perk many times. Despite the age and seemingly undying support of this community, the fact is that Steam has been the most profitable decision he's made since dropping out of grad school. Similarly, Avadon (though receiving EXTREMELY mixed reviews) has been the most profitable for the same reason.

This is a fun read for talking about indie gamer profits from Steam and Android markets.

Steam's definitely not a bad thing. Indie devs in particular like Steam because Steam focuses on their games, specifically. That's why the majority of their games are from small-name studios and why Greenlight exists in the first place.

Similarly, Avadon (though receiving EXTREMELY mixed reviews) has been the most profitable for the same reason.

I'm not sure whether the real reason Jeff has taken Avadon the more linear direction is because he's running out of energy but I do think it's the right decision for the mass appeal. As much as I loved loved Exile when I was a kid, I'm not sure that massive of a sandbox is what as many people want these days.

I think the mixed reviews in part because in the first Avadon it can take a while until the real action starts happening. I think Jeff even wrote about addressing that in Avadon 2, and Avadon 2 has consistently better metascores... it seems most of the unfair metascores on Avadon 2 are more because "graphics" or "looks like avadon 1".

I think another good thing has to be that when people are browsing Steam and looking at something like Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age there's a chance they might see at the bottom "More like this: Avernum Escape from the Pit"

I know that I personally have to confess that I get excited when I see his games go on sale at Steam. I already have them all but I'll often buy a few copies of EftP or Avadon to gift to friends, who otherwise probably wouldn't try that game.

Plus, Witcher 2 is sale for like 3 dollars

While Witcher doesn't have my favorite overall story arc, one place it shines is just the interactions with random townsfolk... and how important it can be sometimes to actually bother doing it... that kind of exploring I really enjoy, it's one of the things I love about Spiderweb Games too. If Vogel ever produced a big money game I would like to think it would be closer to Witcher than to Dragon Age or Skyrim. Except with some meaningful way to keep the combat relatively turn-based... lol.

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking about getting that bundle. How does steam work? I saw you need to download their software, so can you not play the games if you uninstall the steam software?

In general, yes, you need to have Steam installed to play games that you've downloaded through Steam.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought all the Avernum games from steam at 4€

There was -80% discount.

I started from Avernum - The escape from the pit.

This game was better than i expected. I am happily hooked onto it. :3

I feel like i got more than i paid for. I would be happy to pay even more for such a superb story!

I am determined to lead my group of survivors to escape Avernum and see the daylight again.

..And so, the brave survivors escaped Avernum through the last gauntlet. But, not before they slayed Grah-hoth and Adze-Haakai. It would be very selfish to leave the Avernumians die in the hands of the demons. Would kinda feel like betraying their trust escaping Avernum. Besides, they are nice people after all. If a little pale and obnoxious at times.

:)

I surely didn't expect a lot when i bought Avernum - escape from the pit. But, boy it sure did deliver! I am glad i gave it a try! :lol:

January is soon, very soon. I can get my hands on Avernum 2 - Crystalline souls.