Anama Priest learns Ring of Magery is in the Moderator Shop

Bound Servant does odd jobs and gains 10 coins

Craftmaster Strine steals energy from Flaming Sword

Craftmaster Strine makes Wand of Death

Craftmaster Strine makes Ironskin Balm

Micklebur learns Dionicio is NOT a magic user

Machrone asks question: "Is Nioca the Trickster?"

Machrone learns the answer: NO

Craftmaster Strine trades Wand of Death with Nephil Activist for Skribbane and 15 coins

Empire Spy buys Clover Boots from the Moderator Shop for 15 coins

Infiltrator Cloak gets added to Moderator Shop

Empire Spy investigates Nioca and finds out he is Dionicio

Machrone answers question 1

Machrone receives 5 coins

Empire Spy trades Fury Crossbow with Craftmaster Strine for Flaming Sword

Anama Priest gives 5 coins to Vahkos

Vahkos trades 5 coins with Craftmaster Strine for Skribbane

Trickster uses Mystic Symbol on Trickster

Trickster redirects Micklebur to Dionicio

Dionicio places traps around Dionicio

Adventurer throws Razordisk at Trickster

Razordisk misses Trickster

Nephil Activist uses Wand of Death on Dionicio

Nephil Activist killed by traps

Dionicio recovers Wand of Death

Domont kills Empire Spy

Domont recovers Flaming Sword, Clover Boots

Vahkos kills Domont

Vahkos recovers Flaming Sword

Domont resurrected by Clover Boots

Vahkos gains spirit of Sarachim (Nephil Activist)

Vahkos gains spirit of Doom Warrior (Empire Spy)

Day 2

Anama Priest uses Crystal Spire

Anama Priest learns Holy Symbol is held by the Darkside Mage

Darkside Blademaster kills Anama Priest

Darkside Blademaster recovers Crystal Spire

Bound Servant attacks Domont, but Domont receives first strike

Domont cannot harm Bound Servant

Bound Servant kills Domont

Trickster sells Killer Poison to Moderator Shop, gets 10 coins

Resistance Elixir has been removed from Moderator Shop

Gladwell gives 10 coins to Bound Servant

Gladwell switches his immunity to physical

Micklebur attacks Darkside Mage, but his attack was redirected to Dioncio

Micklebur killed by traps

Craftmaster Strine steals energy from Fury Crossbow

Craftmaster Strine makes Disruption Crystal

Bound Servant trades 35 coins with Craftmaster Strine for Disruption Crystal

Craftmaster Strine buys Ring of Magery from Moderator Shop for 60 coins

Rod of Alacrity has been added to the Moderator Shop

Darkside Mage kills Bound Servant with a Stealth Attack

Darkside Mage recovers Antidote and Disruption Crystal

Machrone asks "Is Wz As the Anama Hunter?"

Machrone receives answer: No

Dionicio gives Vahkos 20 coins

Machrone trades Skribbane with Craftmaster Strine for 5 coins

Gladwell gives Vulnerability Scroll to Trickster

Craftmaster Strine trades Ironskin Balm and Skribbane with Vahkos for 20 coins

Dionicio uses Wand of Death on Darkside Blademaster

Darkside Blademaster dies

Dionicio recovers the Crystal Spire

Dionicio gets a 40 coin reward

Vahkos gains spirit of Andraste (Domont)

Vahkos gains spirit of Elle (Anama Priest)

Vahkos gains spirit of Excalibur (Bound Servant)

Vahkos gains spirit of Sleeping Dragon (Darkside Blademaster)

Vahkos gains spirit of Xelgion (Micklebur)

Day 3

Vahkos sends out spirit of Domont

Domont's spirit kills Craftmaster Strine

Vahkos acquires Fury Crossbow, Ring of Magery, Skribbane

Bound Servant's death reported publicly

Machrone answers question, receives 5 coins

Machrone answers question

Dionicio sells Antidote to Moderator Shop for 5 cons

Dionicio buys Rod of Alacrity from Moderator Shop for 45 coins

Vahkos kills Shanker

Vahkos recovers Resistance Elixir

Dionicio kills Darkside Mage

Dionicio recovers Holy Symbol, Antidote, Disruption Crystal

Dionicio receives 40 coins as a reward

Vahkos gets spirit of Marlenny (Craftmaster Strine)

Vahkos gets spirit of Duck (Shanker)

Vahkos gets spirit of Alorael (Darkside Mage)

Day 4

Dionicio uses crystal spire on ring of magery

Dionicio learns ring of magery in possession of Vahkos

Day 5

Vahkos sends out sprit of Craftmaster Strine

Craftmaster Strine spirit kills Machrone

Vahkos sends out spirit of Nephil Activist

Nephil Activist's spirit kills Adventurer

Vahkos sends out spirit of Empire Spy

Empire Spy's spirit deflected by Dionicio's Holy Symbol

Vahkos sends out spirit of Darkside Blademaster

Darkside Blademaster's spirit kills Trickster

Vahkos sends out spirit of Micklebur

Micklebur's spirit deflected by Gladwell's magic

Dionicio's list of roles incorrect

Everyone at a stalemate

Game over

Well, this game did not go well. I apologize for the necessary interlude in the middle. I'm sorry about that and any disruption it may have caused. Some analysis.

1) Nioca. You somehow came close to winning. Had you listed the roles correctly, you would have won. Your stunt at the beginning ensured no one trusted you and probably contributed. You probably did more for Vahkos than Sporefrog ever could by drawing attention to yourself.

2) Sporefrog. You came close with Vahkos, but you either did not know who was whom or failed to read all the rules. Had you done so, you would have known you needed to kill either Gladwell or the holder of the Holy Spirit, Dionicio on day 4. As it was, you could not win with limited time remaining.

3) People seemed unusually inactive in this game. That's too bad. Had people actually done stuff, people may have won.

4) Those who did stuff, good job concealing your roles.

Well, that's a game. Not the ending we would have liked, but I hope it was still fun. What are your thoughts?

I agree that in the current form, it is too easy for Vahkos to snowball and create a sense of inevitability. A couple suggestions:

1) Announce publicly at the start of day 2 of the existence of Vahkos.

2) Put a cap on the number of spirits Vahkos may have at a time.

Other thoughts?

Kind of lame, but at least it was fun for a while.

Sporefrog: go read the rules before goddamn killing everybody tongue . I had already won frown You did great as Vahkos, so in my eyes, this game was yours. Good job.

Sleeping Dragon: great job at hiding your role, once the Nephil Activist died I honestly considered joining you and betraying the Gladwell, but I just didn't trust you and knew that you weren't going to trust me at all so I went with rcccl.

Wz. As: this is quite possibly the last time I'll contact you in game. We just play the complete opposite. I like alliances, and I like to have people on whom I can trust if not the game just becomes a huge frustrated mess and not at all fun for me. I understand lying is a big part of the game, but I need to have some solid ground, and a limit to the amount of lying as I can do or take tongue. However, merit were is due, no one had a clue of which role you were, so well done.

Also, next time I'm going to go with whatever my first instincts tell me. I sooo knew Sleeping Dragon was a DL, and I had Nioca pegged as a Dionicio who had boxed of traps himself. Unfortunately my first instinct for Wz. As was that he was a DL, and that might have not gone as well tongue

I think there should be something implemented where if we do not have at least two (if not three) alternates then we should reduce the number of random roles. If after 14 hrs or so everyone is active, then we could implement more. I just really hate it when people get screwed over other people not showing up. This mostly happens to members of a faction, so making sure all 10 roles are active would be a good start. In a perfect world we'd have more people signing up, but we should start looking into other options as of now.

Also, is it possible to discuss how everyone feels about the box of traps protecting someone from the Wand of Death? I particularly don't like it, especially given how rare the Wand is. Perhaps we should consider making the box just as rare. I'd like to know how everyone feels about this.

Originally Posted By: *i
I agree that in the current form, it is too easy for Vahkos to snowball and create a sense of inevitability. A couple suggestions:

1) Announce publicly at the start of day 2 of the existence of Vahkos.

2) Put a cap on the number of spirits Vahkos may have at a time.

Other thoughts?

Out of these two, I'd go with option #1. By day 2, a good Vahkos would have kept his role a secret and accumulated a few spirits (2 or 3 sometimes even more) so even if people get together and discover who he is (mostly by identifying all random roles), he could survive a few swings and even collect more spirits. Besides, he'd probably manage to identify people's role while everyone is working together to try and kill him. This would help him strategize on who to kill when.

Completely unrelated, but how do you all feel about updating the CMS? For once, 80 coins is quite easily. I'd propose an increase in coins (I like stareye's idea of: come up with coins equaled to the value of items traded) and an update on items that she can craft. Allowing her to craft a few new items, such as the smokey crystal seems fair. As the Strine you really do not want to use any of the shop items for yourself (especially the ones that cost you an ability use), so there is not a risk of making her undefinable to her enemies.

I thought all was lost for me on Day 1 when Andraste blew her identity somehow and died, and then there was the fact that the Darkside Mage was missing. Overall, the DLs were thoroughly doomed from the start. My Shanker charade only worked so well because the real Shanker was inactive for the first few days. I'm curious as to how everyone eventually figure out I wasn't the real Shanker. Or did Nioca think he was attacking Shanker when he killed me?

Also, Alorael, worst ally ever. tongue I appreciate that he took up a vacant role, but he clearly wasn't really feeling up to the game. He actually killed the Bound Servant before we ever even spoke. A pity, since I was fake allied with Gladwell at the time and wanted to use the Servant for my own evil purposes.

Originally Posted By: Marlenny
Also, is it possible to discuss how everyone feels about the box of traps protecting someone from the Wand of Death? I particularly don't like it, especially given how rare the Wand is. Perhaps we should consider making the box just as rare. I'd like to know how everyone feels about this.

Nor do I. In fact, I thought Sarachim had just rushed me with a Physical attack. But I do think there needs to be something that can be used to counter it. Maybe an invulnerability potion that makes you unkillable, but with a short life (Say, 12hrs? or 6?).

Originally Posted By: *i
1) Nioca. You somehow came close to winning. Had you listed the roles correctly, you would have won. Your stunt at the beginning ensured no one trusted you and probably contributed. You probably did more for Vahkos than Sporefrog ever could by drawing attention to yourself.

You sound surprised. tongue

I also got screwed somewhat by Sporefrog revealing he was Vahkos. It made me backtrack and assume that Sarachim was the Skribbane Addict again. Plus, Wz As as the Trickster came from nowhere (I'd say he did a bit TOO well this time around tongue ).

-

Alright, a few thoughts about roles.

* Dionicio really gets the short end of the stick when it comes to his victory condition. Offing all the Darksiders can be pretty tricky as it is, but if Dionicio gets even one role wrong, he winds up screwed. And this is likely, considering that there's probably going to be a role that either keeps itself concealed to the end (Trickster) or dies early and is mostly a mystery. Add on to that that the list has to be correct when everyone else finishes their victory conditions, and... well, yeah. It seemed a bit unfair, in my opinion.

My suggestion would be to change it so that he has to make sure at least two Darksider targets survives (him excluded, obviously), and that he knows the DL Target list from the start. It's more connected to his role, still difficult, and makes it so he isn't just a role that kills people. Maybe also change his ability to act as a bodyguard for 24hrs for a certain person, intercepting attacks. Might add an interesting dynamic.

* Vahkos was interesting. However, I don't think making him so it requires a group to beat him is a good idea. While I know you don't like the idea of a single person KOing Vahkos, trying to get 15 players who don't trust each other, some of which need to kill each other, to cooperate is like trying to herd cats. On fire. It just doesn't work. Making it require the effort of a small alliance could do it, though. Maybe make it so he can only hold a certain maximum number of spirits at one time? Or maybe build in a secondary use of the Holy Symbol which, instead of its normal use, a person can activate it and fire it at a target, obliterating several (or all) spirits at one time if it hits Vahkos? It'd count as an ability use, so the shooter couldn't fire and then pounce, but it'd keep Vahkos on his toes.

-

Now onto mechanics.

* I hated the new Stealth mechanic. I'm sorry, but I really did. In a game that's already confusing, making it so you can't be sure the person you were talking to was already was just a bit too much. New idea: Standard and Power roles, on a kill, leave a clue as to what role made the kill (Reveals attack type, skill level, whether it was defensive, whether the opponents were enemies, etc.) along with making a person suspicious. Stealth, even defensively, leaves no such trace, and there's only a 50% chance of a person being suspicious.

* Just an opinion, but there needs to be a few more items in the Mod shop. Five just seems stingy, especially considering the stock doesn't change unless something is purchased.

* The Ring of Magery seems to... well, suck. If you're being attacked, hitting the attacker's immunities is likely to be a moot point. Besides, having an artifact that only works for mages just doesn't seem right. Maybe replace it with a shield of some kind that allows you to choose your immunity (but can only be switched every 24hrs). Or bring back the Assassin's Leather.

-

Anyway, I enjoyed the game. Just wish I would have won. Missed by two roles...

But yeah, I won't be pulling that role claim stunt again. It didn't work quite like I planned. smile

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
Also, Alorael, worst ally ever. tongue I appreciate that he took up a vacant role, but he clearly wasn't really feeling up to the game. He actually killed the Bound Servant before we ever even spoke. A pity, since I was fake allied with Gladwell at the time and wanted to use the Servant for my own evil purposes.

I'm pretty sure we'd spoken, but you asked an identifying question, I answered, and then you had nothing to say. I was fairly sure you were anti-DL, and then I was fairly sure you didn't read my reply right.

—Alorael, who will definitely admit that he wasn't feeling the game. He said so to *i when he volunteered, and he found dying after a single action to be very convenient.

My Shanker charade only worked so well because the real Shanker was inactive for the first few days. I'm curious as to how everyone eventually figure out I wasn't the real Shanker. Or did Nioca think he was attacking Shanker when he killed me?

You did fairly well choosing your protégées too, so kudos. We basically found out because Andraste told Sporefrog of your role. However, I did contact Duck who revealed me his identity with a list of people who was far too good to have been made up (Nephil Activist, Empire Spy, etc) so you were screwed tongue

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Stuff

I agree with the roles bit. It has gotten much more harder to learn roles now than when the rule was first implemented for the Machrone. The Dionicio's ability for one role was taken away, same with the Spyre, and the knowledge brew is just useless (40 coins for a random role?). But most importantly people have gotten so much better at lying and covering up their roles. Expecting anyone to know all 16 roles or lose seems a bit tough, something like identify 10/16 or even 13/16 seems fair though.

As per the how hard it is to defeat the DLs, not quite. The Dionicio has got a fairly good winning rate (from what I can remember), and he is quite tough. His first shot would be to go straight for the Anama. Combine that with an Ironskin balm to sit in his inventory in case he gets attacked, and he is pretty much unstoppable.

Also please take in mind when giving advice or coming up with ideas/solutions, everyone and not just Nioca, that this game is run by a human tongue. Some of these ideas are cool, but just add far too much work.

Quick question: how did you guys find out about Elle's role? I thought he did an amazing job at concealing it, and extremely well for his first time playing. I'm guessing (but really hoping that it wasn't) through Xelgion.

And where exactly is the: "Kill Gladwell or the holder of the Holy Spirit by day 4" rule?

I thought all was lost for me on Day 1 when Andraste blew her identity somehow and died, and then there was the fact that the Darkside Mage was missing. Overall, the DLs were thoroughly doomed from the start. My Shanker charade only worked so well because the real Shanker was inactive for the first few days. I'm curious as to how everyone eventually figure out I wasn't the real Shanker. Or did Nioca think he was attacking Shanker when he killed me?

I knew you were the Blademaster. You told me.

Well, actually, it was Marlenny that clued me in, but when she first told me, I didn't believe it. However, when you started getting hyper-persistent I go after Duck with the wand of death, it raised a few red flags. When you offered to help me only if I killed Duck, I knew Marlenny was right (why would Shanker wait to help me and advocate killing?).

And where exactly is the: "Kill Gladwell or the holder of the Holy Spirit by day 4" rule?

It isn't that. Both are immune to spirits, and Vahkos only gets one direct attack a day. If you've got the holder of the Holy Symbol and a faction leader standing by Day 5, it's as good as an instant loss, since Vahkos can only take one of them out.

Oh, and Xelgion? What the heck was with you this time? Not only did you push Sarachim into an untimely death, but you also wound up suiciding yourself. Seriously, "making things smoother" is not a good reason to attack somebody, and as was demonstrated, can backfire rather horribly. Your direct attack on me though really bumps me; even if I hadn't lied to you about my Box of Traps wearing off, you still would have lost. I wasn't an enemy, and thus would have gotten first strike.

Stuff

I agree with the roles bit. It has gotten much more harder to learn roles now than when the rule was first implemented for the Machrone. The Dionicio's ability for one role was taken away, same with the Spyre, and the knowledge brew is just useless (40 coins for a random role?). But most importantly people have gotten so much better at lying and covering up their roles. Expecting anyone to know all 16 roles or lose seems a bit tough, something like identify 10/16 or even 13/16 seems fair though.

It's not just that. You have no indication whether you got it right or not. You just have to pray that someone hasn't pulled a fast one on you, because if they have... *draws finger across throat*

Quote:
As per the how hard it is to defeat the DLs, not quite. The Dionicio has got a fairly good winning rate (from what I can remember), and he is quite tough. His first shot would be to go straight for the Anama. Combine that with an Ironskin balm to sit in his inventory in case he gets attacked, and he is pretty much unstoppable.

...Hard-ish, then. tongue

I knew you were the Blademaster. You told me.
I certainly never told you. I never told anyone. You're right though, about the killing part. When I realized Duck was the real Shanker, thus the only person who could spoil my brilliant plan, he absolutely had to die at any cost. Little did I know Andraste had already blown it for me at the beginning. What can you do?

Edit: *Me being stupid about the holy symbol*

Little did I know Andraste had already blown it for me at the beginning. What can you do? Little did I know Andraste had already blown it for me at the beginning. What can you do?

What do you mean Andraste blew it for you? And everyone was leading you on, pretending you were still Shanker. I know you had it hard without the mage showing up, but I think you might be giving yourself too much credit here -.-

I redirected Xelgion's attack to Nioca; that's why he died.

---

---

Tarson, I can only guess that no one believed you, and I'm flattered you used a question on me.

tongue

Sorry about that Marlenny. My strategy was to make sure NO ONE knew who I was. The hardest part about it was not doing anything. Sorry Nioca, but I couldn't let you know who I was because at the end of Day 4 I needed someone alive not to win.

Sporefrog, great job!

Sleeping Dragon, even after I was told you were the DL Blademaster, you *still* convinced me you were Shanker. tongue The only thing was, I didn't think there was a real Anama Hunter in play, so your "target list"...

You did fairly well choosing your protégées too, so kudos. We basically found out because Andraste told Sporefrog of your role. However, I did contact Duck who revealed me his identity with a list of people who was far too good to have been made up (Nephil Activist, Empire Spy, etc) so you were screwed tongue

Yeah, I actually didn't get that from andraste. All I got from her was that the no-show at least wasn't the blademaster.

I was selling everyone out trying to get everyone to kill each other. It worked pretty fantastically with the anama. I was about to "join" the anama under Elle, but I was also making sure lots of people knew all the anama members' identities since they're immune to magic and the priest has that anti-vahkos ability (though I held off leaking Elle for a while because he was new and I felt horrible betraying him that quickly. Unfortunately he died anyway.)

I just reread the Holy Symbol for the third time, and only now see "cannot be harmed by vahkos' spirits." DOH! Apparently I'm utterly blind, because I read it when the game started, once during the game, and right before I sent out my list of spirits. The holy symbol wouldn't have been a problem if there were any stealth or power magic roles, though. I had no magic spirit capable of throwing at gladwell to kill him, simply because he was power.

As a general comment, it seems like the game is a lot more different now that people are more used to playing the game.

And as far as Vahkos goes, I think if everyone learns he's in the game, it's honestly really easy to simply make him lose. Shanker can protect herself over and over, and 15 spirits will not touch her. Gladwell has to die by Vahkos' hand or otherwise get killed (which I should've done on day 4 had I actually seen *I restart the game fast enough frown ) as does the Anama Priest, and the owner of the holy symbol has to die by vahkos' hand. But at the same time, it's extraordinarily easy for Vahkos to ruin everyone's fun. Even if his role is revealed on day 2, I think his presence might alter the flow of the game too much.

I don't know whether Vahkos should be reverted to a previous form or still be tweaked into a "Everyone has to work together to stop him" role. I liked the idea until I played him, now I'll be happy never playing a role like that ever again.

I don't think having the traps beat the wand is unreasonable. If either of those two items is overpowered, it's the wand. What got me into trouble this game was not a problem with the items themselves, but that the rules regarding them were ambiguous and I didn't think to ask *i if his interpretation of them was the same as mine.

Originally Posted By: wz. As

---
Tarson, I can only guess that no one believed you, and I'm flattered you used a question on me.

No, we believed him, and Marlenny had started to work on a way to deal with you when she was killed.

Just like we kept Sleeping Dragon in the dark about us knowing who she was, we were keeping quite about knowing you weren't the Hunter, unfortunately Vahkos ended that alliance.

Well yes. But because the wand is overpowered *i makes sure there is only one in the game, while there's the possibility of more than one box of traps per game (Hell, I could've made 5 if I wanted to) plus the Dionicio's once a game box of traps. I suppose that a few simple tweaks could be made (like only letting the CMS craft one box of traps per game, etc) to nerf the traps, so it'd probably come down to personal preferences.

Also, SD: it really wasn't Andraste's fault that you got caught lying. I spoke to Duck not long after Sporefrog's comment, and I was always suspicious. For some reason you didn't really inspire trust on me, though I gotta admit the insistence for the killer poison was a clue.

Originally Posted By: RCCCL
Originally Posted By: wz. As

---

No, we believed him, and Marlenny had started to work on a way to deal with you when she was killed.

Just like we kept Sleeping Dragon in the dark about us knowing who she was, we were keeping quite about knowing you weren't the Hunter, unfortunately Vahkos ended that alliance.

We had this awesome plan where we were going to send the Adventurer (while being compelled by the Gladwell) pumped up with Physical Immunity and a resistance Exilir (for self defense) while equipping the ring of magery your way tongue

That would've been so awesome, damn you Vahkos!

Has anybody else thought about whether the game has changed for the better now that there are a million items? I feel like a few items adds more strategic elements to the game, but 50 items just adds randomness to the game, since you never know what somebody is going to start with, buy, or craft.

Also, I've noticed that I really love the first day of the game, then just get bored, even if I have a huge all-powerful alliance. That might be why I continuously do really well at the beginning, then lose through some generally minor ruling at the end. Once you identify everyone's role, get a huge alliance, and wipe half the game out, the fun part's over.

Originally Posted By: Sporefrog
What do you mean Andraste blew it for you? And everyone was leading you on, pretending you were still Shanker. I know you had it hard without the mage showing up, but I think you might be giving yourself too much credit here -.-
Yeah, I'm merely repeating what I was just told. I asked how people figured me out, they said Andraste spilled the beans in the beginning. I'm not giving myself any credit, as I accomplished nothing. I am, however, blaming Andraste entirely for my loss. tongue

Yeah, I'm merely repeating what I was just told. I asked how people figured me out, they said Andraste spilled the beans in the beginning. I'm not giving myself any credit, as I accomplished nothing. I am, however, blaming Andraste entirely for my loss. tongue

Blame Omlette/Rowen for not showing up smile I think that killed Andraste's spirit for the game, if anything, though she went out with a bang killing Doomy. I only tried to kill her because I was trying to keep the anama on my good side, who had given me skribbane to kill her.

See, vahkos messes everything up.