What's your fav of the three?

Eclipse

Retrospectively, E3 is my favorite. A2 beats A3 in the later series, though, and I don't recall sweeping engine changes between E2 and E3. In fact, the major upgrade was in the graphics. I therefore can't justify liking E3 more, but I do anyway.

—Alorael, who takes the opposite view from Unrulyevil. Take the Exile/Avernum series to the surface and it's just generic fantasy minus elves, dwarves, and orcs. Underground it's a sufficiently different world to be interesting.

Exile 2 FTW.

Other engine changes I can remember between E2 and E3: expanded (and improved) PC advantages and disadvantages, more inventory slots (24 instead of 16), encumbrance exists, acid exists, a few spell changes.

The nice thing about Exile 3, that overcomes the surface setting (about which I agree with Alorael), was its vibrant color. It both looked fun, and was fun to play. Avernum 3 lacked that entirely.

There is encumbrance, as Thuryl says. There is, however, no weight in E1. Your frail priest can carry 12 suits of plate mail and suffer no ill effects.

I tried playing BoE again after playing Exile for so long, and I found the dialogue system of BoE uncomfortable. Probably just because I had grown used to the Exile 1 dialogue system, though. I was unhappy when I saw the face of Walner in Warrior's Grove, however. That's not how I pictured him. I don't know why, but he's always been one of my favorite minor characters in the series.

I started out with Exile III, and I have never quite gotten used to the interface of E1 and E2. It's not that it's retro - I love ADOM and NetHack. It's just clumsy in some occasions, and I never really felt immersed.

That is why Exile III remains most memorable (and therefore favorite) in the Exile series for me.

In Exile 1, you can't move with the arrow keys, which are assigned to switch between the party overview, the special items list, the PC overviews, and the PC inventories. You can, however, use the number pad, as in all Exile games. You really shouldn't be relying on the arrow keys to move anyway. Sometimes you have to move diagonally.

I played Exile 3 with arrow keys on the number pad before finding out that the diagonal movement didn't work and I couldn't get to the stolen Vahnatai statue. After clearing the rest of that area, I finally figured out that I would need to use my mouse to move diagonally.

I always like Exile 2 the best even though I started with Exile 3.

Please note that laptops have no numpads.

Or at least none that can easily be accessed. There is a special lock that will switch the 789uiojkl (or somewhere in that region) square to numlock, but it's no easier to handle than just using the number row instead of numpad. ADOM trained me to know which numbers are which directions, even when they're all in the same row...

I started with Exile 3, but Exile 2 is my favorite. I like how the whole cave setting is there just as in Exile 1, only expanded. Lots of games have big outdoor areas which are easy to imagine, but imagining hundreds of miles of expansive caves is something different... kind of a mysterious quality I can't really explain. But it's original.

Also, how it has nearly the same combat and spell system as E3. IMO, E2 combines the best of both E1 and E3.

Possibly not. A full keyboard without ergonomic design or other bells and whistles will be less than five times that price and comes with a whole lot more buttons. $10 for an important but not actually necessary chunk of keyboard seems about right.

—Alorael, who of course knows that reasonable pricing and the actual price of an item have little or nothing to do with one another. Still, it should be at least possible to get a simple and serviceable numpad for significantly less than the price of a keyboard including the numpad.

• 4 weeks later...