What have you been reading recently?

Alorael at Large

Originally Posted By: pitchblack
Random question: why did everyone register at noon?

Ok, another book I finished reading was The Cartoon History of the Universe.

Kinda juvenile, but fun.

Which book? I own 1-3, and I think there's a 4 bringing it up to the present day. Or maybe we're thinking of different books. I've got the ones by Larry Gonick. (Incidentally, if you finished the Gonick ones, you've got a better attention span than I do. All those bad jokes and crude illustrations weren't enough to get me more than halfway through book 3.)

Originally Posted By: Wossname the Something or Other
It's still not a good time to be a science fiction author.

—Alorael, who wonders if genres labeled "escapist" have reduced sales during economic downturns when money is tight or whether sales go up as people need an escape more.

Why couldn't he have died before writing State of Fear?

Also, it's been commonly observed that fantasy movies suddenly became very popular after 9/11, so I'd say the latter is more likely.

Originally Posted By: Exile of Blades
Originally Posted By: Rowen
I just started Brisingr today. I hope it was worth the two week wait on the waiting list at the library.

It is. I read it the day it came out. Definitely worth it.

But apparently, 'trilogy' doesn't mean three books anymore.

Trilogy isn't three books, silly! It's five (insert Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference here)!

But, Paolini changed the title to the Inheritance "Cycle".

Yeah. The first two hundred pages of Brisingr have been one non-stop idiot ride. Whether it's Eragon "I respect all life, so I'm going to use my magic with reckless abandon and then recharge myself by draining the life from small animals" Shadeslayer charging into the Ra'zac lair armed with a stick as his weapon of choice or the elf who has decided his purpose in life is to be an Axe-scented blue wildcat, you won't be disappointed.

Dikiyoba.

(Eragon is a prime example of this, as well as Harry Potter 3-5).
Neb was just thinking about this as he read the book and saw the movie and found many discrepancies.
Of course you can't put everything in a movie or it would be outrageously long. But there is no reason to add things not in the book.
That is all.

http://scalzi.com/agent/ is both hilarious and at times genuinely touching. Consider it an antidote to certain of Jeff's musings in the "Melanchion's Lands" section of A5. "Unwind" by Neal Shusterman is a dystopia novel that had me laughing unintentionally, albeit more than a little disturbed. Suffice it to say that in the society depicted some of Thuryl's less popular ideas get put into practice.

Deviating too much alienates most of the people who read the books. (Eragon is a prime example of this, as well as Harry Potter 3-5).
Hence my diskile of the Lord of the Rings movies, since I've read those about 5 times.

The 4th Harry Potter movie is actually pretty good, but the 3rd and 5th go so far away from the book (I think the directors tried to make them comedies or something) that it ruins them. I've read those books too, and it seems each movie gets farther and farther away from the original book.

Of course, the solution to all of this is to film an interpretation rather than an adaptation. Then, nobody gets offended.

Anyhow, back to the topic... I've been looking through Lewis Carroll's stuff again, and... well... come to find out: the Dormouse never actually told Alice -- or anyone else, for that matter -- to "feed her head". He never said anything even similar to it.

I'm outraged. At Grace Slick. How could she mislead us like that? I... I believed in her....

(In regard to film "adaptations" of Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass . . . just in case it should happen to come up . . . my favorite among those that I'm aware of is Jan Svankmejer's version... actually, his version is not really an adaptation at all... not even an interpretation, really, but I guess a little more along the lines of "this is what you get when you cross a Jan Svankmejer with the works Lewis Carroll". It's Alice Transformed. One of my favorite scenes in the film is the one with the room full of living socks. This does not appear in the book.)

• 2 weeks later...

Went out and bought a bunch of books today. From a used bookstore, I got Shredding the Public Interest by Kevin Taft, Reflections of a Siamese Twin by John Ralston Saul, Life, the universe, and everything by Douglas Adams, A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan, and A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. The last three I've already read; just bought them cheap because I already own other books from those series. From Chapters I bought V for Vendetta and Watchmen by Alan Moore and Things the Grandchildren Should Know by E. The last one was short enough to be read in one evening.

I really don't know why I buy books so often (or rather, buy a whole bunch at once). Still haven't finished all the books from my last buy.

Yesterday, someone casually asked me, "Played any good video games lately?" Just seemed rather weird.

Eddings is at the top of his sub-genre. His sub-genre is largely optimistic, feel-good fantasy. If you don't like that, you're not going to get a huge amount out of the books.

—Alorael, who is now nearing the end of the Soldier Son trilogy. It's not Robin Hobb's best, but it's still good. The whole story is an interesting rejection of the usual druids-nature-good, cities-pollution-evil.