Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic
Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:31 PM #386 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Is there a file types dropdown from which you can select "All files (*.*)"? Failing that, someone would probably need to tweak the code.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

SkeleTony_13 SkeleTony_13

Citizen

• Member ID: 13,328
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:15 AM #387 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View PostCeltic Minstrel, on 25 November 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

Is there a file types dropdown from which you can select "All files (*.*)"? Failing that, someone would probably need to tweak the code.

There is but it does not work right. If I pull the drop down menu it lists only three options: One being "All Blades of Exile Saved Games ('.SAV' files), which does nmothing as I previopusly reported here and the other two options are just gibberish...like a series of random characters strung together or something.

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,482
  • 3,333 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, United States

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:29 PM #388 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Yeah, there's definitely something funky going on. I'll take a look and see if we can't fix that.

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:47 PM #389 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Actually, it seems to only show up with that version, I dropped in a build from trunk code and it was fine. SkeleTony, could you please drop in this character editor binary and see if it solves the issue?

Citizen

• 21 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:31 PM #390 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View Postsylae, on 27 November 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Yeah, there's definitely something funky going on. I'll take a look and see if we can't fix that.

THAT is the message I was getting (sorry for my fuzzy memory)! Thankfully your new binary works like a charm. Very much appreciated!

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:29 PM #391 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View PostSkeleTony_13, on 24 November 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Am running Windows XP if that matters and have to run CBoE in compatibility mode for Win 98 or I get graphical problems.
Could you elaborate on these problems? What sort of graphical issues are present without compatibility, and do they occur on the most recent builds (available here)?

Citizen

• 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:59 PM #392 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View Postsylae, on 27 November 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Could you elaborate on these problems? What sort of graphical issues are present without compatibility, and do they occur on the most recent builds (available here)?

Uh...crap. Can't help you here as the issue is fixed now with that new binary you provided and I would have to go back to the old build to get the old problems and all that. Let me see if I can figure something out and get back to you.

DeltanAmbassador DeltanAmbassador

Citizen

• Member ID: 12,497
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:15 AM #393 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Just noticed something playing around with a twink solo char. At level 39 I was in Dying THings scenario when a bunch of Brigands attacked me. Obviously 5th or whatever level Brigands represented no threat to the char so I was wondering what their thinking was. :) Was it I'm just one guy and they're 10 or something, or is it a levels vs levels calclation? Like 10 6th levels equals 60 levels vs 39th level so they'll attack?

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,844 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:32 AM #394 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View PostDeltanAmbassador, on 05 January 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

Just noticed something playing around with a twink solo char. At level 39 I was in Dying THings scenario when a bunch of Brigands attacked me. Obviously 5th or whatever level Brigands represented no threat to the char so I was wondering what their thinking was. :) Was it I'm just one guy and they're 10 or something, or is it a levels vs levels calclation? Like 10 6th levels equals 60 levels vs 39th level so they'll attack?

I don't know off the top of my head how exactly the level calculation for monsters fleeing from the party works, but I know it's possible for a scenario designer to configure an encounter to never flee. This can be useful for plot-related encounters, or for monsters that drop important items when killed.

DeltanAmbassador DeltanAmbassador

Citizen

• Member ID: 12,497
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:40 AM #395 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View PostLilith, on 05 January 2015 - 05:32 AM, said:

I don't know off the top of my head how exactly the level calculation for monsters fleeing from the party works, but I know it's possible for a scenario designer to configure an encounter to never flee. This can be useful for plot-related encounters, or for monsters that drop important items when killed.

Thanks for at least a non-answer answer. :) Should say I'm stoked people are still into such an old game.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:18 PM #396 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Here's the relevant calculation:
party_total_level() > (out_enc_lev_tot(i) * 5) / 3 && out_enc_lev_tot(i) < 200
The party_total_level() and out_enc_lev_tot() functions do pretty much what they look like - add up the levels of each PC/monster in the party/encounter.

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:32 PM #397 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

So to put it in plain language:

1) If the total levels of all party members add up to more than 5/3 of the total levels of all monsters, the encounter will flee.
2) Regardless of whether condition 1 applies, if the total levels of all monsters in the encounter add to 200 or more, the encounter will never flee.

This means the number of PCs and the number of monsters are both relevant, as are their levels.

gem helper gem helper

Crystal Wifes

• Member ID: 13,405
  • 49 posts
  • LocationYES!

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:17 AM #398 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

i dunno if anyone's suggested this, but an editor feature i've longed for is importing monsters and items from scenario to scenario, both individually and as a group.

in the same vein, i'd be happiest if there were a couple of settings/features for items that don't exist now - "destroyed on leaving scenario" (previously implied by custom graphics but only by custom graphics) "loses ability on leaving scenario" (previously implied by certain plot-related options), "traders pay/charge X% of normal".

oh, and copy items graphics to a folder so they can be transferred from scenario to scenario; custom graphics causing items not to transfer sort of acted as a disincentive for making custom items certain ways
ʏᴏᴜ ᴡɪʟʟ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʙᴇ ʜᴏᴍᴇ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:46 AM #399 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View Postaleck, on 14 January 2015 - 02:17 AM, said:

oh, and copy items graphics to a folder so they can be transferred from scenario to scenario; custom graphics causing items not to transfer sort of acted as a disincentive for making custom items certain ways
Already did this, except instead of putting them in a folder they're stored right inside the saved game.

View Postaleck, on 14 January 2015 - 02:17 AM, said:

in the same vein, i'd be happiest if there were a couple of settings/features for items that don't exist now - "destroyed on leaving scenario" (previously implied by custom graphics but only by custom graphics) "loses ability on leaving scenario" (previously implied by certain plot-related options), "traders pay/charge X% of normal".
The first two are easy, though can you give me an example of why you'd want the second? For the third, how is that different from just reducing the item's value?

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
  • 19,844 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:13 PM #400 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View PostCeltic Minstrel, on 14 January 2015 - 06:46 AM, said:

For the third, how is that different from just reducing the item's value?

I suppose one possible application for it would be to have an item that you can buy but can't sell -- the purchase value would be normal but the sale value would be set to 0. This could, for example, be used to prevent you from selling an important purchasable item by accident.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:00 PM #401 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Well, items currently have an "unsellable" flag alongside "cursed", "identified", "magic", etc.

ixfd64 ixfd64

Soldier

• Member ID: 454
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:38 PM #402 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Just a simple suggestion: it might be a good idea for the new scenario format to have a different file extension, to avoid confusion. Something like ".ex2" will do.
O hai there!

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:09 PM #403 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

The file extension for new scenarios will be .boes, though one of the files in the archive will be called "header.exs". However, I expect most people will never actually unarchive the scenario, so that's probably not really an issue, right?

ixfd64 ixfd64

Soldier

• Member ID: 454
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:13 AM #404 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Another idea: it should be possible to specify icons for special items.
O hai there!

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:43 PM #405 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

If that were to be added, what would you say is a good default icon? Mainly for importing old scenarios where there's no icon specified, though it could also be used for new special items in the editor.

gem helper gem helper

Crystal Wifes

• Member ID: 13,405
  • 49 posts
  • LocationYES!

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:28 AM #406 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View PostCeltic Minstrel, on 14 January 2015 - 06:46 AM, said:

Already did this, except instead of putting them in a folder they're stored right inside the saved game.

The first two are easy, though can you give me an example of why you'd want the second? For the third, how is that different from just reducing the item's value?
For the second, let's say I'm having the party choose between good mundane weapons versus mediocre and common 1-handed weapons specially designed to do damage to unprincipled blobs: an easy way to do that would be to throw Giant Slaying on it and make all unprincipled blobs Giants (and nothing else the party encounters a Giant). Throwing a "special removed on scenario end" flag on that would ensure I didn't just ruin some other designer's day. Alternative possibilities: a platinum ring of fire resistance whose power can't survive the light of the sun, etc. I guess I mostly was thinking about it because the specific ways specials were removed or not removed between scenarios imposed design considerations on authors.

For the third, there's a lot of other things you could do with it than that. "Traders pay 200% of normal, charge 100% of normal" would mean, for example, that buyer NPCs pay an item's listed cost - think of this as something like being presented with the opportunity to buy exotic reagents at a magic bazaar, or being offered ore by a miner at less than cost to save her the danger of hauling it downriver, or a junk merchant not understanding the value of everything they're selling. The opposite situation - "traders pay 100% of normal, charge 200% of normal" - might describe an item like an heirloom sword, a cursed stone of greed, something like that.

We could even envision combining the two - "traders pay 10% of normal, charge 50% of normal; special removed on leaving scenario" for, say, orichalcum dust and ingots for a scenario in the area of an orichalcum strike.

In other words, this would allow you to engineer situations where the party can buy things for much less than they're worth anywhere but where they're currently buying them. Selling for 200% of normal would also make the player's expected return for a received item the same as the listed price, instead of half as much. (That's a little annoying, I think.)

This is all stuff it's feasible to do (or kludge like you've done) with specials right now, but it'd basically add flexibility and portability to those mechanics.

View PostCeltic Minstrel, on 01 February 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

If that were to be added, what would you say is a good default icon? Mainly for importing old scenarios where there's no icon specified, though it could also be used for new special items in the editor.

Maybe the default "special encounter" dot, or an exclamation point, or a question mark?
ʏᴏᴜ ᴡɪʟʟ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʙᴇ ʜᴏᴍᴇ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:22 AM #407 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View Postbok bok bok, on 22 February 2015 - 12:28 AM, said:

Maybe the default "special encounter" dot, or an exclamation point, or a question mark?
I kinda meant among the existing items graphics, but I guess adding new graphics isn't difficult.

As for the rest of your post, I'll think about it.

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,415 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:35 AM #408 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Well, after trying to play BoE for the first time since upgrading to Linux Mint 17.1, all three BoE applications seem to run fine in Wine. I don't know what happened or why it won't run on my mother's Vista laptop though. Maybe it had to do with the 32bit vs. 64bit stuff. I was running 32bit because I had a 32bit OS on my desktop, but the desktop and (I think) the laptop both have 64bit hardware.

Only two very minor issues I noticed: 1. The BoE splash screen doesn't work right. It will display the Spiderweb Software splash for most of the duration of the music, flash the splash screen of the leather-clad man for a split second, then go to the menu. This doesn't particularly bother me because the music is rather clipped and terribly grating and I just turned it off. (Interestingly I found the same music along with other similar bits on the B. Kliban cats official website.) 2. When selecting the Preferences option to not run the program full-screen, it shrinks the window to fit the play area just fine, but the Main Menu is clipped off the right side by several pixels.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:37 AM #409 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Interesting. It's not cut off for me on the Mac. I suppose it could be a Windows thing somehow. In any case, it's good to hear that you managed to get it working; maybe that'll motivate me to work on it more. (Especially if you find specific gameplay bugs.)

Heart of Avadon

• 4,415 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:18 PM #410 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

I'll be playing through A:EFTP first, at least. But I'm already downloading all the classic scenarios that I haven't played or want to replay. I'm still considering making that scenario I was daydreaming about too.

Ir the Great Ir the Great

Citizen

• Member ID: 13,000
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:04 AM #411 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Necroing, I know, but it is a sticky and seems better than a new thread:

1. Should Martyr's Shield on monsters be dealing the monster's remaining health, because that's the current behavior and seems overpowered.

2. Using the linked-to CBoE on Windows 7, the scenario editor crashes with a memory error if you try to open a non-existent BoE Scenario File.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:04 PM #412 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View PostIr the Great, on 01 July 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

1. Should Martyr's Shield on monsters be dealing the monster's remaining health, because that's the current behavior and seems overpowered.
I'm not quite sure, but that does sound like it might be wrong.

View PostIr the Great, on 01 July 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

2. Using the linked-to CBoE on Windows 7, the scenario editor crashes with a memory error if you try to open a non-existent BoE Scenario File.
How do you open a non-existent BoE scenario file? Launching from the command-line or something?

Citizen

• 42 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:52 AM #413 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

View PostCeltic Minstrel, on 01 July 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

I'm not quite sure, but that does sound like it might be wrong.

How do you open a non-existent BoE scenario file? Launching from the command-line or something?

With the scenario editor by typing in a name of a file that doesn't exist.

And, the stable, linked to CBoE version of Martyr's shield is glitched -- I had a monster with 2500 hp do 2499 dmg when hit.

Citizen

• 42 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:44 AM #414 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Why don't we have an ai improvement that considers ALL stats and abilities.

Currently, the ai can be represented by these instructions:

1a. If enemy has mage spell >= 3 goto 2.
1b. If enemy has mage or priest spell >= 1 && < 3 goto 3.
1c. Else gito 4

2a. If turn #1: Caste hasting spell
2b. Else cast summoning spell or slow group/slow or poison spell

3a. If mage spell > 1: goto 5
3b. If priest spell > 1 and mage spell == 0 cast minor bless

4a. If ranged ability goto 6
4b. If breath ability goto 7
4c. Else get in range and melee target

5a. If turn one cast haste spell
5b. Else cast slow, minor poison, or flame

6a. If outside melee range, use ranged ability
6b. Else use melee attack

7a. If outside melee range, use breath weapon
7b. Else use melee attack

Okay, maybe not exactly, but I think you get the point. The thing is, the ai should behave in a less repetitive, more effective way. Spellcasters especially --- They love to spam summoning spells and will do so 8/10 times.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:32 AM #415 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

I have no plans to improve monsters' default AI. In fact, I'd prefer it stays the way it is. However, I'm open to adding more ways to customize how monsters behave. I haven't figured out yet how that should be done, though.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,415 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:22 PM #416 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Bugs for version BoE-Win-79d8668:

Conversation Go Back doesn't work from dialogue nodes, only from basic Personality profiles (name, job, etc.)

Loading a save on death still results in not returning to the menu, leaving me with just a gray stone background. Quit and Restart work. Loading and cancelling returns an "error loading save file"ish error. Loading during play works fine.

When my party was killed in dialogue by the Daredevil, I lost my items.

When praying to the demon, even if you're in combat mode immediately after the Special Encounter dot is stepped on, results in, "You let your guard down" etc. and dumps you in the game over screen.

First time, I didn't hear the death sound when frozen by the Frost Giant. I don't know if I wasn't killed or if it just doesn't make the noise because I already left my items in the entry cave.
Second time I heart the death grunt but I still have my items during the outdoor frost giant death. I'm not sure that's supposed to happen.

Spoiler - This Wine crash occurs just prior to the brain eating text, both mundane and extended versions.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:07 AM #417 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Regarding not hearing the sound, I believe there's something in the code that suppresses a sound if it's the same as the last sound played. The rest, I will look into.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,415 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:31 PM #418 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

That could be it; as you know, "The Killing Cave" features random grunts and groans of death. Maybe make exceptions for death and damage, then? Those sounds are important indicators of PC health.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:03 PM #419 Feature Suggestions, Bug Reports, and so on

Maybe a better idea would be to clear the last played sound at the end of each move...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users