Story LIne

I don't know about 'by far'. I think G2 and G3 work well as logical developments. But G1 was definitely a bit better. Everything kind of worked, and the only loose end that was there for me was that there was no indication of just how the PC was growing in power so quickly. That got taken for granted as part of CRPG convention, when in fact the Geneforge-y theme of the game offered a great opportunity to make it an important working part of the story.

I think G1 has the best plot out of the first three Geneforges. It felt a little more believable than the others, and the ancient civilization subplot was interesting. And the plot gets a boost just for being the first of the series and therefore more original. Hopefully, G4's plot will also get that originality boost because it is the first in the series to have the perspective be from the rebel's side.

Dikiyoba.

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
I think G1 has the best plot out of the first three Geneforges.
Same here, I played through G1 dozens of times before getting a little bored, and I've played only 1 or two times through the other twos. Ok, G3 wasn't really bad either, but I didn't like really much G2.

Also, one thing who made my vote go to G1, well, it is in that one and only one where
[spoilers... I guess]
[you've been warned!]
there are the Sholai (they're so cool!) and you can actually use the Geneforge.

[edit: added a (they're so cool!) note]

If you are implying that in GF4 you can use the Geneforge does that mean you don't have trouble with the lighting in the rest of the game? Although using it makes the game simpler since now both sides are annoyingly inferior. The third path is then I'm a God and will decide what is right for all of you.

Geneforge III has by far the worst plot of all the Geneforge series. Geneforge I is the greatest plot in the Geneforge series. You probably just don't like it because the other games have more gameplay improvements. I personally love the moral questions. Geneforge II had a redeemed plot because of Shanti. She's one of my favorite characters in the entire series.

Geneforge 2 clearly has the superior plot. The first one was the cliché abandoned forbidden experiments plot, lame. The only good thing about it was that since it was the first in the series, all the shaping concepts were new.

Geneforge 2 had the greatest character the in the series yet: Barzahl! This was truly a great man. He realized the potential of shaping powers, used them to change even the geography of the land. Sure he was insane, but that's what made it the best plot in the series. Shanti? She was just another mindless pawn of the Shapers, not even worthy of mention.

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
So, do you always use the Geneforge in G1 then?
Naturally. I don't understand why anyone would not. That's really the only thing Geneforge 2 and 3 are sorely missing.

Please tell me, what is so alluring about Shanti? She is just as arrogant as any other shaper, yet she fears the full potential of shaping powers. If you guys like the mysterious reclusive type characters so much, Phariton would be by far the best. Another point for Geneforge 2.

Originally by Emperor Tullegolar:

Quote:
Naturally. I don't understand why anyone would not.
Not everyone is interested in playing a power-hungry maniac, obviously.

Dikiyoba likes Shanti because she actually goes out and does some stuff in the game (or tries to, at least) instead of hanging back. And she is a good example of a loyal Shaper.

This has nothing to do with letting your enemies live. To strive to become as powerful and lethal as powerful is also to make the game as easy as possible at each necessary point. Choosing not to use the Geneforge does not in any prevent you from killing everything either in these games, and I mean everything.

It's not a question of killing. It's a question of doing it with style.

—Alorael, who found that that impulse served him poorly in G4. It is remarkably possible to end up in an increasingly large brawl with explosive enemies. Sooner or later it becomes time to call it quits.

Delicious Vlish favored backing up and luring your enemies to their destruction. Even with using the Geneforge in GF1 if you let your enemies swarm you, then you can get slaughtered. There is nothing wrong with a tactical retreat.

As Worf in Star Trek: The Next Generation quoted that famous human saying, "He who fights and runs away, lives to run away another day."

Your chances of being an official shaper in GF4 are small. Your chances of being a plucky sort with a large number of enemies after you is somewhere around 110%.

—Alorael, who thinks the right tone is set by what he thinks will eventually be the demo. Retrograde maneuvers are very important in strategy and in tactics when you've got an empire after you and no caves to hide in with unexpected bug-eyed allies.

Speaking for one section of the game and not the whole, I can say that he has successfully made group tactics pretty much essential.

—Alorael, who did not say group combat was essential. It's almost essential, but it's not. Jeff still believes that those who really want to play a coward with a full pack of living tools and a silver tongue should be able to, and he still believes that it should be really painfully hard. This time, however, you can do it with friends!

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Delicious Vlish favored backing up and luring your enemies to their destruction. Even with using the Geneforge in GF1 if you let your enemies swarm you, then you can get slaughtered. There is nothing wrong with a tactical retreat.

As Worf in Star Trek: The Next Generation quoted that famous human saying, "He who fights and runs away, lives to run away another day."
It has always served me well.