Response to Community Suggestion List

Spidweb

I've finally gotten through the whole community suggestions list. There's a lot of good stuff in there, and a lot of things I needed to know. Thank you for all of the work that went into it.

I'm about to leave on a vacation. (Don't ask how long it's been since the last one.) When I get back, I will go through the bugs section again and come up with new versions of Windows and Mac BoA. Some of those bugs are new to me and some have been fixed (like the forcecage in town mode problem) but haven't been made public yet.

As for a new scenario format, right now my plate is very full. I need to finish the Geneforge 3 and Avernum 4 engines and get them to my two employees, who are in urgent need of stuff to do. I need to keep working with my editor on the book I have coming out this spring. And, of course, vacation. But I will look at the new features, work out who long it would take to code and test them, and see what I can do about them.

Thanks again for all of the work. I'll start translating it into reality soon.

- Jeff Vogel

Spiderweb Software

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:
I'm about to leave on a vacation. (Don't ask how long it's been since the last one.)
Hope you have a nice vacation! Do lots and lots of absolutely nothing! I can't even imagine how exahausted you must be after creating and endlessly tinkering with BoA.

Quote:
I need to keep working with my editor on the book I have coming out this spring.
That sounds interesting — could we be given any more details? Is it fiction, or maybe a programming manual?

These suggestions- especially the top priorities- are truly desired by the designing community. Remember, the two hours it takes you for each feature will really improve the scenarios that get put out.

If nothing, you can give "work experience" to some desperate, voluptuous programming intern at the price of oval office encounters. (Preferably not in the presence of Hillary Kriszan... wink )

• 4 months later...

You know, I really think the tone of a lot of these posts is very unhelpful. Jeff is not "lazy" if he doesn't get around to doing these things, he's just concentrating on the projects most likely to support his business and family. I mean, am I allowed to call you lazy if you don't drop everything and come spend a week building me a log cabin?

The antaganism I see here over and over isn't going to accomplish anything. Jeff's not going to do what you want just because you insult him or claim that it'd be easy or important or whatever for him to do something. He's far more likely to be helpful if you treat him with respect and try to understand his situation. Childish namecalling and stomping of feet is far more likely to just put anything you say down on the lowest rung of the priority list.

calling names and such is useless, you got that right. but we are the ones who buy his projects and keep him on the business (and alive :-p), so basically wouldn't it be best for him to keep us quite satisfied?

i'm a new member, have no idea how to create scenarios and bla bla, but i've been reading the past threads. those capable of designing adventures for me to play need jeff to fix stuff, so of course i want him to fix stuff up, too. why? because the things the designers want jeff to fix or add would allow them to create a greater variety of cool scripts and other scenario stuff, and that would of course be a good thing for us only interested in playing scenarios, too.

now, i'm not saying he should focus on fixing these bugs only and drop the future projects. that would be foolish.

if he just could take a few hours a few days of the week and instead of coding other projects, keep the current clients satisfied, hey, that would be the best for everybody.

i'm not very good at expressing myself verbally, but i hope you understand what i mean. :-)

I'd also add that most of us are much more polite to Jeff in person than we are on these forums (note that as far as any of us can tell, he hasn't read these forums in months). Some people do feel a need to publicly express their disappointment, though. So far BoA's support has at least been better than BoE's, but that's not saying much.

I do think this is kind of sad, though: several months ago, I made a scenario to demonstrate bugs that I had discovered in BoA. I tested it with v1.1 (or possibly v1.0, don't remember) of BoA, and everything checked out: all things malfunctioned just as I described in the in-game pop-up menus and in the in-script commentary. I sent this scenario to Jeff with a list of bugs. He then released v1.1.1 some time after that. I tested this scenario recently with v1.1.1, and everything still malfunctions just as before.

I admit that the bugs that I found were minor, but I followed all possible proper procedure, and he ignored them on the subsequent patch.

I also find it a bit annoying that he didn't tell us which bugs he thought he fixed for v1.1.1 that we reported from v1.1.0. Now we have to go back and check everything.