G2 Infestation - Ending Chart (Spoilers)

Changes from Original G2:

- No changes in ending criteria.  The endings are mostly the same, but there are some small changes.

- For example, in the Awakened ending, they now explicitly conquer and absorb the resources of the other sects using the Barrier of Winds drakons offensively (!) (firmly putting to rest the argument that they wouldn't have the resources to stand up to the Shapers like the G3 Rebels did).

- There are two new minor variations that are not ending dependent, for the hallucination canister in Rising, and for the Sholai (who begin to practice shaping in their lands, if you helped them).

- That last one is really smelling relevant to the G3 remake IMO.  I fully expect a Sholai pathway in G3, kind of like the Trakovite pathway in G4 -- not a full-fledged faction for most of the game, but a way to end the game differently.

- The Servant and Non-Aligned endings have significant text overlap, but the criteria to reach them are completely exclusive.

- Apparently Syros being alive or dead makes no difference to anything.

Minor Variations in All Endings:

- Canister use (0-9 / 10+)

- Shanti (did not learn she died / did not find her killer / found but left him alive / avenged her)

- Zakary (did not meet / did not kill / killed)

- Barzahl (did not kill / killed)

- Hallucination canister (if used)

- Sholai (killed / did not help / helped)

The one requirement for actually leaving the valley is having met Barzahl, so that is a given in every ending, even the bad one.

MAJOR ENDING 1: PC HAS NO INFLUENCE

Criteria: Don't qualify for any other ending, i.e., give up and leave.

Part 1:

The council distrusts you and jails you, before you are ultimately executed.  (heavy canister use)

The council distrusts you and jails you.  (low canister use, joined non-servant faction)

The council distrusts you, but sends you back to your training, where you are also distrusted.  (low canister use, did not join non-servant faction)

Part 2:

The Awakened are crushed by the Takers (and the Barzites, if you didn't kill Barzahl).  The Shapers seize Drypeak, executing Zakary if he is alive, but hostile rogues from the surviving faction(s) swarm out from the Valley and a long war begins.

Minor Variations:

- Which faction you joined (if any)

- If you slew Taker leaders

- If you slew Barzahl

MAJOR ENDING 2: NON-ALIGNED VICTORY

Criteria: Kill Barzahl and Rhakkus, Akkat, and Easss.  Not aligned with the Servants or the Awakened.  (If you kill both threats but are aligned with one of those factions, yet don't complete their quests, you will get ending 1 instead.)  (You do not have to kill Zakary or Pinner for this ending.)

The Council is impressed with your actions and returns you to your training. Shaper Troops take over Drypeak, and destroy Medab and Rising. Any faction leaders remaining there are all executed. The remaining Takers flee. You become a powerful, trusted, and valued Shaper.

Minor Variations:

- Canister use

- If you slew Zakary

- If you slew Learned Pinner

MAJOR ENDING 3: SERVANT VICTORY

Criteria: Aligned with Servants + complete their quest chain (which requires killing Rhakkus, Akkat, and Easss).

The Council is impressed with your actions and returns you to your training, though not before you defend Zakary. He is executed anyway. Shaper Troops take over Drypeak, and destroy Medab and Rising. Any faction leaders remaining there are all executed. The remaining Takers flee. You become a powerful, trusted, and valued Shaper.

Minor Variations:

- Canister use

- If you slew Barzahl

MAJOR ENDING 4: AWAKENED VICTORY

Criteria: Aligned with Awakened + complete their quest chain (which requires killing Rhakkus, Akkat, and Easss).

The Council puts you in jail and executes Zakary if he is alive. The Awakened activate the Barrier of the Winds, and send the drakons to defeat Rising. Barzahl is dies if he is alive. The remaining Takers flee. The Awakened absorb the resources of both defeated sects, obtain victories over the Shapers and arrange a prisoner exchange for you. You spend the rest of your life fighting for the Awakened. Apparently it's a stalemate, as the Awakened don't bring the war beyond the mountains, but the Shapers continue to send warriors to fruitless deaths fighting drakons.

Minor Variations:

- Canister use

- If you slew Zakary

- If you slew Barzahl

MAJOR ENDING 5: BARZITE VICTORY

Criteria: Aligned with Barzites + complete their quest chain (which requires killing Zakary).

The Council puts you in jail. Medab surrenders to the Barzites. The remaining Takers flee. Barzahl absorbs the resources of the Awakened, obtains victories over the Shapers and arranges a prisoner exchange for you. The war continues for years and years, while you partake of increasingly powerful modifications and augmentations, eventually becoming an inhuman "God."

Minor Variations:

- Canister use

MAJOR ENDING 6: TAKER VICTORY

Criteria: Aligned with Takers + complete their quest chain (which requires killing at least one of Zakary, Barzahl, and Pinner).

The Council puts you in jail and plans a military campaign, but too late. The Takers crush Medab, Rising, and Drypeak in sequence, absorbing their resources and killing any surviving leaders. (Barzahl, they eat!) The Takers obtain victories over the Shapers and arrange a prisoner exchange for you. You spend the rest of your life researching new destructive powers for the Takers, isolated from other humans.

Minor Variations:

- Canister use

- If you slew Zakary

- If you slew Barzahl

Also, ending 6 is the only ending that explains that the thing behind the locked door in the Taker warrens is "the final creation of Easss."

Amazing. Minor point: based on other discussions, I think for the Non-Aligned Victory, "Not aligned with the Loyalists or the Awakened." should instead be "Not aligned with the Servants or the Awakened.", to use the in-game joinable faction terminology. (This area has caused a lot of confusion with other players, as I've noticed on the Steam discussions!)

Edited by mikeprichard

19 minutes ago, Slarzahl said:

The Council is impressed with your actions and returns you to your training, though not before you defend Zakary. He is executed anyway. Shaper Troops take over Drypeak, and destroy Medab and Rising. Any faction leaders remaining there are all executed. The remaining Takers flee. You become a powerful, trusted, and valued Shaper.

Are you necessarily trusted and valued? I thought that depended on canister use.

19 minutes ago, Slarzahl said:

You also don't have to kill Syros for this ending, even though you have to kill him for the Servant ending

I don't think you have to kill him for the Servant ending. I got the Servant ending on my Pacifist run where Syros was very much alive at the end (although Rhakkus, Easss, and Akkat all died)

Edited by Mechalibur

You are valued regardless of canister use.  Canister use does affect whether your peers in shaper training trust you, but not the assignments you're given.

Randomizer's atlas says the Servant quest is to kill the 3 drayks.  Is that inaccurate?

"The Servants."

"The Takers of the high mountains are working on powerful and dangerous research, led by rogue and rebellious drayks. They are called Rhakkus, Akkat, and Easss. To end the threat, they must be destroyed."

It does call them all drayks for some reason, but it also gives their names.  Since Syros is also a Taker leader and a drayk, and Easss is unambiguously a drakon, the names are probably necessary.

Outdated works for Rhakkus.  But Easss was always a drakon -- "the first of a newer, deadlier breed of drakons."  

Actually this is a widespread issue in the game text.  Pinner's mission also calls the three of them drayks.  Syros's quest text calls Easss a drayk!  Zakary, Pinner, and Macnulty all call Easss a drayk in dialogue, too.

I think this can probably be filed under "Beka of Rising."

Cheesy question: if I do all Awakened main quests, but then leave the faction (assuming that's even possible at that point? - maybe that's how Jeff prevents the cheese) by talking to Pinner before leaving the valley, and have also killed Barzahl, Rhakkus, Akkat, and Easss, will I still get Ending 2 ("good" unaligned ending)? I believe this was the case in OG G2, and it seems from the above it still is - i.e., as long as you're not aligned with the Servants or Awakened at the point you finally leave the valley, you're still "unaligned" regardless of how many quests you've done for the latter two factions. Still, I'd appreciate any possible confirmation.

34 minutes ago, mikeprichard said:

Cheesy question: if I do all Awakened main quests, but then leave the faction (assuming that's even possible at that point? - maybe that's how Jeff prevents the cheese) by talking to Pinner before leaving the valley, and have also killed Barzahl, Rhakkus, Akkat, and Easss, will I still get Ending 2 ("good" unaligned ending)? I believe this was the case in OG G2, and it seems from the above it still is - i.e., as long as you're not aligned with the Servants or Awakened at the point you finally leave the valley, you're still "unaligned" regardless of how many quests you've done for the latter two factions. Still, I'd appreciate any possible confirmation.

I did that in the O-GF2. 

1 hour ago, oceanes said:

So, question, is there any point to being a low canister use Taker in GF2? I don't think so, judging by the original ending, but I wondered if someone tried it.

Let's define "low-canister" and then let's define "any point". From role playing perspective or from the ending perspective? 

It does change the ending, though not substantially.

2 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

I think attacking Pinner flags you as not in the Awakened, even if that dialogue option somehow goes away.  Also, I believe you can report the last quest (and receive your reward) before you actually trigger the final "Leave the Valley" step of the main faction quest.  Either way this should be possible.

Ending 1 is the "didn't finish" ending.  I believe every full ending (i.e., 2 through 6) counts as good for achievements.  Endings 3 through 6 have their own unique achievement as well, but ending 2 does not.

I believe these are all possible for a pacifist run.  Endings 5 and 6 are probably simplest for them, but they are all doable.

was the secret ending hinted in the kickstarter actually added?

I remember that I read a diary by Jeff where he wrote that even if the treshold wasn't reached, he would have added it anyway.

Please, don't spoil it straight. What I mean is, tell me yes or no, but put the details (if you wish to write them) on a spoiler :P

3 hours ago, Lorn said:

was the secret ending hinted in the kickstarter actually added?

I remember that I read a diary by Jeff where he wrote that even if the treshold wasn't reached, he would have added it anyway.

Please, don't spoil it straight. What I mean is, tell me yes or no, but put the details (if you wish to write them) on a spoiler :P

I believe what Jeff added was not an ending, but rather extra questlines that significantly expanded the lore. That's what he did in GF1M.