Geneforge infestation equals Geneforge Mutagen?

The demo for Geneforge Infestation is very much like Geneforge Mutagen.  So far there is only a small difference even as to the quests.  I thought it was so familiar that I installed Geneforge Mutagen and took a look. Yep, much the same.  What gives?

Edited by Noman
spell error

• Noman changed the title to Geneforge infestation equals Geneforge Mutagen?

Geneforge 2 - Infestation has Weapon Shaping added so guardians have new abilities equal to an agent's spells. Read the descriptions of the other ones to get an idea of what lies ahead.

Most of the change occur later in the game outside the Demo. There are new zones, quests, and items have changed from both the original and Geneforge - Mutation. Also you now have tier 4 creations and they have abilities not seen in the original game.

I mean, it's two games from the same series, so gameplay and mechanics are very similar.  Items, similar.  Races and creatures, similar.  (The tutorial is also similar, because the mechanics are similar.)  This is all... pretty standard for games within a series, isn't it?

But I don't really understand how "only a small difference" can even apply to the storyline, the locations and maps, or the NPCs and dialogue... those are completely different.

(Also, just an observation, but you've made an awful lot of posts here complaining about Geneforge.  This is a lot of effort to put in to talk about a series you don't seem to like very much...)

On 2/7/2024 at 6:17 AM, Noman said:

The demo for Geneforge Infestation is very much like Geneforge Mutagen.  So far there is only a small difference even as to the quests.  I thought it was so familiar that I installed Geneforge Mutagen and took a look. Yep, much the same.  What gives?

Ehh... not sure if I should ask this and don't take it the wrong way but...

are you sure you installed the demo of the right Geneforge game

I know the funamentals should be the same but the story is too, so far. I downloaded the demo from Steam.  Shanti is taking me to Drypeak to see Zachary and Barzall, one of whom is supposedly dead. Minor quests of find the smart servile, find bars of iron. kill 3 bad rogues in area.  I am hoping the story will change soon. I played Mutagen and enjoyed it but do not want to play it again.

1 hour ago, Noman said:

I know the funamentals should be the same but the story is too, so far. I downloaded the demo from Steam.  Shanti is taking me to Drypeak to see Zachary and Barzall, one of whom is supposedly dead. Minor quests of find the smart servile, find bars of iron. kill 3 bad rogues in area.  I am hoping the story will change soon. I played Mutagen and enjoyed it but do not want to play it again.

??? 

And how that is in any way similar to: "I crush alone in an island that nobody has set foot within the past 100 years, and find three factions of serviles fighting each other over ideological differences, as a madman and his mutated army try to steal the secrets of the Shapers"  ? 

This is not me trolling you, this is me honestly puzzled as to why you consider what you described similar to Mutagen. 

Edited by alhoon

45 minutes ago, Noman said:

yes, that is what i thought. Thank you.

Just to be clear, your original post compared Geneforge 2: Infestation (2024) to Geneforge: Mutagen (2021). Those are completely different games, albeit with similar engines. Geneforge 2: Infestation (2024) is a remake of an earlier Geneforge 2 (2003). My understanding is that Geneforge 2: Infestation (2024) has a largely similar plot to Geneforge 2 (2003), but a substantially tweaked engine.

So if you're playing Infestation and thinking it's similar to Geneforge 2, yes, it's a remake. If you're playing Infestation and thinking it's similar to Mutagen, I guess sorta? But not really.

9 hours ago, Noman said:

yes, that is what i thought. Thank you.

oh... No, GF2 continues the story of the world of the Shapers that started in GF1 and will end in GF5. Whether the Shapers win and continue their atrocious handling of sentient beings and go on with their tyrannical oppression of the non-shaping humans, or they are dropped off their throne of tears and crushed underfoot or anything in between, is up to the player's actions in the last game. 

Edited by alhoon

Yeah, I don't think that's what the OP thought.  They posted a bunch about Geneforge: Mutagen back in 2021, so clearly they played it, and from those posts they clearly never played the original Geneforge games.  I think they simply heard "original GF2" in this thread, without context, and thought "original" meant it was another name for Mutagen.  The confusion is representative.