QW2 - Resources

Randomizer

Forts

Gentle Coast

Fort  Meadow 4 - wood )30), stone (20), iron (10), quicksilver (2)

Low Dhaga

Fort Precipice - wood (15), stone (20) iron (5)

Esker Keep - wood (15), stone (20), iron (5)

- Captain Azucena - The Larokan Ruins - open passage - stone (2)

Kranas Woods

Fort Grove 2 - wood (25), stone (5) iron (15)

Timberland Keep - wood (25), stone (5), iron (15)

High Litha

Fort Hailstone - wood (10), stone (5), iron (5), quicksilver (4)

Glacier Keep - wood (10), stone (5), iron (5), quicksilver (4)

****************************************************************************************************

Gentle Coast

Fort Meadow 4

Finishing Fort’s Resources quest - wood (1), stone (1), iron (1), quicksilver (1)

Judgement - Head Jadyra - can take offering.- wood (2)

Laskara -

- after getting Permission from Raasa - wood (2),, stone (1)

- Dockmaster’s Haven’s Docks Quest - wood (1), stone (1), iron (1)

- Jheure quest - iron (1)

Litha Claim - wood (5), quicksilver (2)

Ktanas Claim - wood (5), iron (5)

Dhagran Claim - wood (5), stone (5)

****************************************************************************************************

Low Dhaga

Khofax Quarry - wood (5), stone (5)

The Flintpits Claim - wood (5), stone (5), after fully cleared -  wood (13), stone (13) or wood (10), stone (10) if convicts killed

Azam -Trader Leto - wood (2)

Shattered Ruins - wood (5), stone (5) - fully cleared wood (10), stone (5)

Etzae -Trader Tsuenai -  Tsuenai’s End - stone (1) or if spared by Geld Nas stone (2)

tinging Oasis - current - wood (4), stone (6) o demand less - wood (4), stone (4)

Nameless Ruin - Nilzichek the Profferer - iron (1), quicksilver (1)

Azam - picking Raasa Liawita as govrnor- wood (1), stone (5), iron (2), quicksilver (2)

Kranas Woods

Fort Grove 2

Maytas - Burning the Groves

- Watchfire - iron (3), quicksilver (1),l for killing Heart of the Grove - wood (2)

- Deepgrove - iron (3), quicksilver (1)

Ssilyn

- Druid Miryama for both groves pacified - iron (2)

The Walkwoods Mines - wood (6), iron (4) - upgrades to wood (10) iron (10) when completely cleared

Askama Mines  - wood (5) iron (5)

Arum‘s Works - wood (7), iron (5)

Silver Chief Mine - wood (5), iron (5) - fully cleared wood (11)m iron (10)

Pick Yvetteas governor - wood (5), stone (2), iron (4), quicksilver (2), 500c 

High Litha

Erud Foundry - stone (5), quicksilver (2)

Oravera Claim - stone (5), quicksilver (2)

Spiral Mine - stone (5), quicksilver (2)

The White Crypts - stone (3), quicksilver (2)

Pit of the Ice Naga - stone (3), quicksilver (2) fully cleared - stone (6), quicksilver (4)

Larokan Ruins - quicksilver (1)

Unlike QW1, Resources aren't gained over time. There's no longer any upkeep or resource accumulation every 2 days. The fort report is just a summary of how many total Resources you've earned and spent.

So, for example, if you get 2 quicksilver from taking a claim, that's just 2 quicksilver added to your total. Not 2 every day. If you build an alchemist, you spend that 2 quicksilver and that's it. No continual upkeep.

Edited by Mechalibur

1 hour ago, Mechalibur said:

Unlike QW1, Resources aren't gained over time. There's no longer any upkeep or resource accumulation every 2 days. The fort report is just a summary of how many total Resources you've earned and spent.

So, for example, if you get 2 quicksilver from taking a claim, that's just 2 quicksilver added to your total. Not 2 every day. If you build an alchemist, you spend that 2 quicksilver and that's it. No continual upkeep.

Ohhh!  That's an enormous change from QW1.  Thanks so much for clarifying that.

3 hours ago, Rawal said:

that is, when I attempt to create a building in the fort I am informed that I do not have the resources

When doing the tutorial, did you do everything that Miranda told you to in the order that she told you to do them?  Iirc you were given a few resources, told to go build a smithy & apothecary, report back to her, and 'then' you were given more resources & allowed to build anything you wanted to wherever you wanted to.  It wasn't a matter of, as in later forts, "Here's a big pile of stuff, do something with it...". If you missed a step in there, that might be the problem.

Edited by TriRodent

On 8/29/2022 at 9:57 AM, Mechalibur said:

Yeah, I'm surprised Jeff didn't highlight this (that I saw at least) in his blog posts/other news bits for returning QW1 players. It's a major change, but one I happen to like.

One more question (since I only played the demo and haven't yet started a "for-real" playthrough - I've got other games for now, and am waiting for 1.0.1/1.0.2 anyway). As a very, very thorough completionist who likes to play RPGs leisurely without any explicit or implicit "time pressure", thinking further on this, I'm a bit concerned that the fact that resources are apparently finite across the entire game and aren't produced daily/weekly coupled with the theft mechanic could eventually put you into a resource death spiral if you play the game too long. E.g. to use simple numbers that illustrate the principle I have in mind, let's say you buy/collect 100 wood over the course of the entire game from all available sources, and spend 75 making buildings. If you then play too long, will occasional thefts start chipping away at your 25-wood "cushion", to the point where you'll eventually be in the hole and suffering penalties with no possible way to get back in the black?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here - i.e. maybe getting to 0 in a resource isn't a problem in itself, as long as you don't try to build another building that would put you in a deficit - but any insight would be appreciated!

(cleanup of incorrect/misleading assumptions - sorry for all my posts spamming this topic; I'll just summarize in my 9/1/2022 post further below)

Edited by mikeprichard

From experience, I know that getting to 0 in a resource is not a problem, and that if you are at 0 the system won't LET you build another building that would require that resource. (At the start of the game, you only have enough quicksilver to build an apothecary, and so can't build anything else that requires quicksilver until you get some more.) So you can only go into deficit if your reputation causes a lot of thievery ... and your supply of most materials (not quicksilver) is much higher than you will probably need. 

It's also worth noting that most buildings cost only a small amount of resources -- a smithy costs 1 wood, 2 stone and 2 iron, for example. So making one for all 7 of your forts will only cost 7 wood, 14 stone and 14 iron, and if you add up all your income from just the Gentle Coast, you can afford that -- and by that time your supplies will be much greater!

Edited by Davies

I'm also curious about this question.  Of course the game can handle hitting zero in a resource; however, is there a limit to how much you can lose through theft -- or can you in theory get locked out of buildings due to enough accumulated theft?  That would be unfortunate.

Right, my concern is there really now might be a clock ticking in the background - the longer you play without getting to the next fort and using available resources to build all the buildings you want, the less you'll have available throughout the entire playthrough to do so considering the drip-drip of theft over time. I don't expect it will be too punishing for a thorough player, but it still seems it could be kind of a bummer for those like me who don't want any "time pressure".

And silly question - if the game won't let you build with resources you don't have, and theft won't ever take you below 0, how exactly do you go into deficit (and rack up penalties) in the first place? I know it happened to me in the demo since I was starting to play by QW1 rules, but now I don't know how.

(cleanup of incorrect/misleading assumptions - sorry for all my posts spamming this topic; I'll just summarize in my 9/1/2022 post further below)

Edited by mikeprichard

If you have a high enough theft rate, you will lack enough resources to build more new shops. Also you might no longer maintain what you have so while the shops are still there you will get penalties in combat.

It doesn't happen until the last part of the game when you have most done.

Oh shoot, so ongoing shop maintenance really is a thing... I'm a bit confused now as to the specific mechanics. The instructions note:

"If theft reduces the resources coming in below the amount you have already spent, you will get penalties in combat." Still not sure how this exactly works in practice, considering I initially thought there were no resources "coming in" on an ongoing basis - I'd thought it was very simply "you get X resources, you spend Y resources". Real examples of how the system works, including sample timeframes/amounts for calculating the use of resources, would be great.

(cleanup of incorrect/misleading assumptions - sorry for all my posts spamming this topic; I'll just summarize in my post 9/1/2022 further below)

Edited by mikeprichard

1 hour ago, mikeprichard said:

Right, my concern is there really now might be a clock ticking in the background - the longer you play without getting to the next fort and using available resources to build all the buildings you want, the less you'll have available throughout the entire playthrough to do so considering the drip-drip of theft over time. I don't expect it will be too punishing for a thorough player, but it still seems it could be kind of a bummer for those like me who don't want any "time pressure".

And silly question - if the game won't let you build with resources you don't have, and theft won't ever take you below 0, how exactly do you go into deficit (and rack up penalties) in the first place? I know it happened to me in the demo since I was starting to play by QW1 rules, but now I don't know how.

I don't think theft is a constant drain on resources. Like everything else it appears to be a one-time change. So Let's say you have 20 stone income from low dhaga then you do something to raise the theft to 10%. You'll lose 2 stone, but only once. If you remove theft, you get the 2 back. I'm not 100% sure when this happens- it might only readjust during fort reports or it might be immediate. 

Thanks, Mechalibur; that's helpful. The piece I still don't get is the period of "income" for resources against which the theft is calculated - again, I'd thought once you initially collect the resources, they're yours, and there's no hidden ongoing accumulation of stuff, but clearly that's wrong.

Edited by mikeprichard

1 hour ago, mikeprichard said:

Thanks, Mechalibur; that's helpful. The piece I still don't get is the period of "income" for resources against which the theft is calculated - again, I'd thought once you initially collect the resources, they're yours, and there's no hidden ongoing accumulation of stuff, but clearly that's wrong.

As I understand it, every two game days, the system adds up the resources you have collected in each region, then subtracts a certain amount that has been stolen, based on your current reputation, and then subtracts an amount based on what you have purchased. If you then have a negative number in any area, you have a deficit, and a penalty will be applied. (I have not been able to get this to happen in the early stages of the game, so I don't know how the penalty works.) Regardless, after this is done, the difference is available for you to use to purchase buildings.

If you gain more resources, they are added to your collection. You immediately have access to them, and can spend them how you like. The subtraction for theft seems to be only applied on the two day mark, after which whatever penalty you might have would probably come into effect.

(EDIT: I'm trying to clean up this and my earlier posts in this topic through text strikethroughs in my above posts and edits in this post, as I think they clutter the forum with certain incorrect assumptions from my side, and I can't delete my posts. Apologies to the moderators if my approach here isn't appropriate.)

I think I've been making this much more complicated than it is and taking things in a wrong direction. I also incorrectly assumed and was concerned that resource losses due to theft would now accumulate over time, rather than only being part of the one-off calculation against your resource inventory each 2-day period similar to QW1 - Mechalibur has shown that it's still the same as QW1 in this respect, so no need to worry on that account. (https://steamcommunity.com/app/1947750/discussions/0/3314107765690352597/#c3427823723507969545) That said, it seems the mechanics are still fairly similar to QW1 (with the major exception that resources are immediately and permanently spent on/invested in structures, rather than being regularly accumulated or expenses being regularly deducted every 2 days), but I'd appreciate any fixes/additions to my below current educated guesswork, especially for the "???" points/values in items 2) and 3). Cheers!
------------------------------
1) Your resource inventory as reported every 2 days is the total of all resources you've so far collected from any source, with all known available sources listed in Randomizer's top post in this topic, less the total of all initial costs for buildings you've so far constructed in all forts. Note that unlike QW1, removing a building after initially constructing it will not remove its associated cost, so once you initially build something, you've irrevocably committed those resources.

2) Any resource theft as reported every 2 days is counted as an offset against your resource inventory. If theft occurs, it will deduct from your total resource inventory for that period. The amount deducted begins with a "base" amount of 20???% at the start of the game on Normal(???) game difficulty up to 30% on Torment game difficulty, and is then affected by the following factors:

a) building barracks and guard towers and upgrading forts, which reduce the theft amount in that region (barracks: -5%, guard towers: -5%, upgrade fort: -5%)
b) gaining "Aid to Peace" by dedicating four forts to the Ro, which reduces the theft amount in all regions(???) (-10%)
c) taking certain actions/completing certain quests, which either reduce or increase the theft amount in that region(???) [actions to reduce thefts are listed in the "Queen's Wish 2 index" topic, while actions to increase thefts include appointing bad governors, supporting women in the Low Dhaga, and burning groves in the Kranas Woods] (???%)
d) your reputation with the Ro, which either reduces or (???) increases the theft amount in that region(???) (???%)
e) reclaiming the second fort in a region, which increases the theft amount in that region(???) (+20%)

3) You'll suffer penalties for the next 2-day period if amounts stolen for any particular resource are greater than your available inventory of that resource for any 2-day period. Each single unit of any resource in "deficit" for the period results in a 2% penalty to your ???, up to a 20% maximum penalty.

NOTE: Especially as removing a building after initially constructing it will not remove its associated cost, while quicksilver (until the late game) followed by stone (toward the late game) are in limited supply, you must be extremely careful when planning your fort purchases from the beginning to avoid a situation later in the game where you have an insufficient "cushion" against thefts and are unable to build/maintain all desired structures.
------------------------------

Edited by mikeprichard

I suspect there will be quite a few things we'll never know for sure about the exact resource mechanics per my edited post above, but it may be possible to confirm one point: are there any "actions" you can take during/related to quests etc. under my item 2c) above that would increase your theft chance? I'm thinking particularly of the "Reducing the risk of theft" section of nlambert's "Queen's Wish 2 index [Spoilers]" topic. E.g. it's noted there that letting Dastan go during an audience will reduce the theft risk (I assume only in the Gentle Coast) by an unspecified amount, but will not letting him go have the opposite effect? Moreover, are there other actions separate from the choices in that list that would directly increase theft rates? If theft chance modifiers are somehow searchable in the game files this could be a relatively easy check, but if not, it may be another thing that's impossible to confirm.

Thanks as always, Mechalibur - would you be able to share (or could I determine myself through the game files) a list, along with the resulting theft chance/amount increase values? Again, if it's possible to search the game location/dialogue files for specific text, that would help fill in a couple of the missing items I'm looking for.

Ah, of course - manually comparing one report to the previous; makes sense. And if anyone can help me confirm/edit the bolded "???" items in my longer post above, I'd be obliged - I'm assuming the lack of responses simply means people don't know, but any confirmed info could help. One major thing that seems like it could be fairly easily confirmed is whether changes to theft stats imply a change in the chance of theft occurring at all every two days, or in the amount/percentage of the resources that are stolen consistently each period. The manual and tooltips suggest the former, but it seems people are reporting that when they start seeing theft, it's consistent and always in the same amount - and I know the info in the manual and tooltips hasn't always been correct in Spidweb games!

I don't know the answers to those. Honestly, I haven't really had any problems with resources in my games so I haven't paid too much attention to the specifics. Most of these could probably be tested by intentionally increasing theft by angering Low Dhaga, then testing exactly what difference doing various things does, if any. My general strategy has just been ignore the mill line of buildings unless I have a huge surplus, and be generally nice to the Ro. It's worked out fine without me needing to do a deep dive into the specific mechanics.

Thanks, Mechalibur - especially to avoid running out of stone for more useful buildings, I'm also planning to forgo the shop discounts and not build many/any mills or bakeries in particular, and to keep my Ro rep as high as reasonably possible. It's just my completionist nerd personality that wants to figure out how things work like this under the hood, but when I finally play I may do some testing myself as you suggest and revisit my post here. I'm probably the only one who cares, but there may be at least one other nut out there. ;)

• 2 months later...

Missing from the list: accepting Head Kuanysh's bribe (in a Cestus judgment) grants 1 iron. Also, I think reclaiming Esker Keep gives 5 iron (like Fort Precipice), not 4. Finally, there are a number of typos throughout this topic and the QW2 "atlas of quests and item locations" topic (grammar, NPC names, etc.); correcting them would make searching the topics for information much more reliable, but I understand a massive amount of work has been put into this research already, and it's hugely appreciated even without further refinements. Cheers.

(4 December 2022) I found several more substantive errors in the above list, and have consolidated all issues found to date here, also in line with my post in the "QW2 - Atlas of Quests and Item Locations" forum topic:

Errors in "QW2 - Resources" topic data:
- missing iron (1) optional bribe from Head Kuanysh Cestus judgment
- missing quicksilver (1) optional bribe from Geld Nas assassin Cestus judgment
- missing stone (3) optional reward from Altynay Cestus judgment 
- missing wood (4) / stone (1) / iron (3) / quicksilver (1) reward from killing the Young Heart Tree in Tehrorman
- Gentle Coast / Litha Claim - wood stone (5), quicksilver (2)
- Shattered Ruins - wood (5), stone (5) - fully cleared wood (10), stone (5 10)

Edited by mikeprichard