Jeff's GDC talk - "Failing to Fail: The Spiderweb Software Way"

Jawaj

8 hours ago, Necris Omega said:

*Hundred Yard Stare*

... I've been pronouncing Avernum wrong the entire time.

Latin pronounciation is usually a bit of an issue for native English-speakers, so don't worry, no one around is likely to have noticed unless they were Latin teachers, in which case they would likely have pointed out the error of your ways.

For me, the great shock was realizing how much time has passed since I first started playing Spiderweb games back with Nethergate. This is how I see Jeff Vogel in my mind. By the way, does anyone know the fate of Spider? Is there a successor?

PS: Speaking of pronounciation, "Vogel" is actually pronounced "Fogel". Just thought I'd add this bit of trivia for anyone who isn't familiar with the Germanic languages.

Edited by Minion

10 hours ago, Minion said:

PS: Speaking of pronounciation, "Vogel" is actually pronounced "Fogel". Just thought I'd add this bit of trivia for anyone who isn't familiar with the Germanic languages.

True in German, but I don't think Jeff pronounces it that way in English. Hard to tell from this video, but I think I've heard him say it before.

And let's not get started with how many people mispronounce "Geneforge."

1 hour ago, googoogjoob said:

How would you mispronounce Avernum... or Geneforge...............................

I mean, it's not that hard...

Avernum - First syllable could rhyme with either "have" or "love."

Geneforge - Could be pronounced either as "jeanforge" or similar to "Genesis/genetics." Interestingly, both fit the series.

Edited by Jawaj

5 hours ago, Kelandon said:

True in German, but I don't think Jeff pronounces it that way in English. Hard to tell from this video, but I think I've heard him say it before.

And let's not get started with how many people mispronounce "Geneforge."

As someone related to Vogels who pronounce their name in a way that looks phonetic to Americans and that Germans might spell Wogel, I support this message.

—Alorael, who has settled the /'a-vər-nəm/ or /ə-ˈvər-nəm/ by renaming the lake to have the first syllable stressed.