Need help! Can I Transfer games to another computer?!

SpiderBalls

I know this question may seem stupid to some, but let me explain myself: I loved the geneforge demos, and when I first got my laptop a month ago, the first thing I did was buy the full series. But a few days ago, my mom cracked the screen by accident (through a set of circumstances I won't go into right now), and now half my screen is blacked out. So I wanted to know if there was a way to move my games onto another computer, because I have progressed quite far into G2, and I don't want to have to buy the games again for another comp. Again, sorry if this comes across as asinine, but I really would like to know. Thank you.

Of course, like every other games you have can get their save data transferred to another computer, aside from MMOs of course.

My Geneforge save data is located in My Documents, a good example would be:

C:\Users\Deogracias\Documents\Geneforge 4 Saved Games

Copy the whole Geneforge save game file, put it in a usb (since it's only a few mb), install the game on another computer, then overwrite the newly installed empty save games in My Documents with the file you got from your usb.

and I don't want to have to buy the games again for another comp.

You don't. As was mentioned, you can transfer your saved games over which certainly is important. More importantly though, you don't have to buy the games again. You will need to reinstall them though as just copying the save game files over won't do that (I'm 99% sure). Depending on where/how/when you got the games you should have gotten a registration code with it (unless you got the games in a fully functional bundle, in which case you can skip this part). After reinstalling the game/s you'll need to reenter that to take it out of demo mode*. Once that is done your saved games should be fully functional.

Worst case, contact Spiderweb & explain the situation and they'll get you back up & working (don't ask how I know this...more than once...sigh)

*rereading this prior to posting, if I'm remembering correctly, on some of the SW games the registration info is buried in the saved games data somewhere. If that is the case then copying over the whole saved games folder just may take care of that for you. If not though, the bottom line is that you only have to buy the games once & Jeff/SW will help straighten it out

Registration is saved on Apple computers in the user/library/preferences folder. When all else fails contacting Spiderweb and giving them your name and the email address that you bought the games under usually will be enough so they can locate your information.

Geneforge 4 has saved games in folders in the game folder with the game scripts. Other Geneforge games save them in Documents or MyDocuments folder under the game name or Spiderweb Software.

Check your owner's manual for the picture of the computer ports to find the one that connects to an external monitor and then see if you got a cable to go from that port to a monitor. I always find that you never have the right cable at home and last time the sales clerk sold me the wrong one.

Also, if you hook up to an external monitor, you may have to adjust some settings in your control panel and possibly hit F3 to switch between the internal and external monitors. I just replaced the screen on a laptop today. It took me 10-15 minutes (going slowly as I had never done it before). I purchased the replacement screen on Amazon for $52.

Unless you don't need a laptop and want to save money. Monitors come pretty cheap. Even the lowest end desktops will still cost a few hundred dollars more.

—Alorael, who more than anything would love to have a monitor with the graphics card built into it to allow his mobile computer to become a reasonable gaming desktop when hooked up. Sadly you can't do that.