Do you think everything is okay?

Painted Lady

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing that each successive Avernum remake will be delayed longer and longer...if we ever see all of them.

Eh... I can't agree with this as each successive remake has fewer and fewer engine refinement to trip over.

Sure, doubtless Jeff will add more stuff each time, but in terms of the raw fundamentals, it should get quicker and easier each time, not slower.

When Jeff had to do A1:EftP, it was a new(ish) beast on a new engine. A2:CS is a new(ish) beast on an engine that's been used already. Makes a big difference.

Hrm. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Probably just nostalgic change aversion talking, but the general openness of Avernum/Exile was one of its charms, especially vs. much of today's blithe hand holding hallway adventures.

Then again, having played through the games umteen times in two separate generations, it's also very easy for me to forget how utterly mindbogglingly huge and confusing the originals could be for a new Avernite. Eh... so long as the rest of the spirit is there, I shouldn't begrudge a few more directional nudges.

Come to think of it, the whole Portal Quest in Exile/Avernum 2 always felt like it needed a lot more solid underlining to put it on par with the other major plotlines.

All Avernums have freedom to go anywhere except in A5 where freedom was bit restricted.

Mmm, A2 had basic restrictions at first, until Chapter Three (?) when suddenly the whole world was pretty much wide open. A3 had some prerequisites required to do anything in certain provinces. A4-6 all had a lot of railroading, with key plot points required to unlock the next zone, although you could wander around in each zone once you got there to your heart's content.

Eh, freedom felt painfully restricted, or rather, moot in the second trilogy simply because of the lack of an overworld.

Call me old fashioned, but that was the biggest weakness of the 4-6. An overworld provides a level of abstraction that allows a world to take on infinitely more space than any developer could ever hope to detail. Even the biggest games sans such abstractions feel tiny compared to the likes of the original Avernum for this reason. Sure, I love Skyrim as much as the next person, but it's still a mere county compared to what I imagine the nation of Avernum to be.