November Sadness Sale!

nikki.

Over on Facebook, Spiderweb Software have just announced their annual sale. For the entire month of November, everything on SW's site is 50% off. iPad users aren't being forgotten about either - for the last two weekends of the month you can grab 50% off those games too.

Its the perfect chance to do your Christmas shopping, or snatch a couple games that you've put off buying til now!

(And man, 50% is a huge discount compared to what we're used to having. SW must be rolling in it!)

advent.png

—Alorael, who can't even talk about playing old-school Roguelikes. He plays Angband, which has sold out and thoroughly modernized. Why, he wouldn't be surprised if a substantial percentage of the player base now used graphical tilesets. Some even have sound!

The first computer game I played was Tic-Tac-Toe using a touch tone phone as the interface. It's still probably there at Museum of Science and Industry in the Hall of Communication in Chicago, Illinois.

As that's about a block away from me, I may have to check it out. They have a Charlie Brown exhibit coming, too.

I once had a 'sub-hunter' game, where you were supposed to be a destroyer hunting for an enemy submarine. Each turn you could move so far, and it could move so far, and then you could find out how far away from you it was. It would keep moving in a straight line, though I think sometimes it might change course, I forget under what circumstances. You tried to get on top of it and sink it with depth charges. It was a simple game, but a slight challenge. The sub could escape if you didn't pin down where it was soon enough, and get there.

The original game was a good-sized plastic board with a little LED console at the top, with buttons. You could draw on the board with an erasable marker to plan your moves, but everything actually happened by pushing buttons on the console for how far you would move and in what direction. When you won, the little three-digit numeric LED that told you the range each turn would flash 'SUB' for a while. I think it also had an explosion sound effect for your depth charges.

So it was a computer game. I later wrote a program to emulate it ... on my HP-11C programmable calculator.