Did I just hear what I think I heard?

RaustBlackDragon

I was watching happy tree friends recently, and I think I heard something at the end of the video, a sound effect that's also been used repeatedly in Spiderweb Software games. I never noticed it before!

Warning: Very Very bloody, if you don't know what happy tree friends is.

Edited by Lilith
Actually successfully de-embedded video this time

it's pretty common for people who need sounds to just buy a licence to a big ol' sound library with lots of generic sounds all up ins

Not to mention free online sounds (check the credits, Jeff cites a few in the latest Avernum), and lots and lots and lots of sharing. Digital recording made life sooo much easier.

To my wife's chagrin, I constantly point out sounds that are in my library when we watch TV. Also, Wilhelms, which annoys her because she still hasn't figured out which one he is yet. :p

The Silent Assassin is outside right now, preparing for the hurricane by attempting to convert some lawn decorations into wind generators.

Hey, as long as it keeps him away from the valuable stuff inside, right?

I always hear this generic radio-talking-police station background noise, and I always associate it with SC3kU because that was when I first heard it.

There's also a cold-ass-wind-blowing-past-snowcapped-mountains sounding noise that I associate with Rail Tycoon 2.

Edited by Sylae
I was a lame child :(

I don't hear anything either. Is it really at the end of the video, or at the end of the animation before the credits?

It's at the end of the animation before the credits, and it's hard to pick out.

Dikiyoba knows that Trine shares several sound effects with Spiderweb games.

On a totally off-topic note, how did you do that? I can't even quote myself without making an HTML mess.

Edit: Oooooh! I see this newfangled and mildly irritating wysiwyg editor is good for something after all.

It's not hard to pick out if you know what you're listening for. I listened to it three times and then I got it. It's that double crunch, when the dinosaur's leg gets bit. It's a slightly higher crunch, followed by a slightly lower crunch. It's been used at least as far back as Avernum 1, and maybe even BoE but I forget. It's a "monster dies" sound.

EDIT: Now I remember! It is in BoE, as a PC dying sound, accompanied by a low-pitch "OOOGH!" I believe that's how it's used in Avernum too. Actually maybe it's not in BoE, it's been a while since I paid attention to BoE sounds, but I was playing Avernum recently and it's definitely there.

• 5 months later...

Xazo-Tak, please do not resurrect threads that are nearly six months old. Thank you!

Or, at the very least, be very certain the necromancy is worth it.

Also worth keeping in mind in real life. It's a real pain when your undead army turns on you.

Edit: Nobody tell Eph I said that. I don't fancy a smiting.