What's the difference?

adc.

This is not as important, but seeing someone post about Avernum and exile are the same/not the same. It is really, really driving me nuts. Can someone please tell me about it?

Here is what I've heard through some posts in forums:

Originally Posted By: forum posts
Those who call Avernum instead of exile are noobs blahblahblah

Avernum is a remake of exile blah blah blah

BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH

-----------

-Please explain, Nighwatcher

The first 4 games Jeff made were Exile 1-3 and Blades of Exile.

After a bit, he remade them as Avernum 1-3 and Blades of Avernum. The story was exactly the same, and the geography, cities, dungeons, characters, etc. were all mostly the same, too, with a few tweaks here and there. The graphics were all new, and the game mechanics were also quite different.

Then, he kept going with the series and made Avernum 4-6, completely new entries in the series.

Now, he has started the same process over again: Avernum EFTP is a remake of Avernum 1, which itself was a remake of Exile 1.

When you read 'the graphics were all new', you may have to be a bit older to appreciate what that means. These days graphics improvements are relatively modest. Stuff gets crisper or smoother, you get better animations, you can see larger vistas. But Exile was really Old School. It looked like this:

Exile_3___Ruined_World-204.gif

The upgrade to Avernum made the same basic story and game look like this: Avernum1_Screenshot.PNG

At the time there was massive controversy in the fanbase over whether the gain of isometric perspective was worth the more limited color and resolution of the sprites. I only got into Spiderweb games starting with Geneforge, where things looked a little more 3D, and moved smoothly.

Well, Jeff "upgraded" Exile and Exile II with Exile III's graphics sometime around the release of BoE. So with the new graphics Exile looked like this:

exile_shot.gif

With the original graphics it was a very different picture. These were harder to find a screenshot of -- I had to resort to Alec, and Exile II. Note that there are even a few old farts like myself who still prefer the original graphics, which may explain the names of Alec's characters:

exile2party.PNG

EDIT: Not a screenshot, but possibly a better graphics example (also form Exile II, which had the same sort of graphics as Exile did):

2lbkruv.png

http://www.proudft.com/natuk.html

See link above if you want.

Not that this matters, but this site i linked above was one of the only other game companies I've been able to find that has graphics and style like original exile. The game Nahlahk was more like ultima original, but natuk, towers of darkness and pirates of the seas were all very much like the exile series with graphics, movement and party based combat.

I played the games a bit and they are a little hard to get into, but very unique with 8 player party based. I still prefer avernum, but kind of cool if anyone is into that sort of thing. sonicball.jpg

Originally Posted By: Tyrangela
They're beautiful. I got into SW games with the newer, E3 graphics, but I still appreciate the older ones. I still love the A1-3 graphics of course, but still.

Same for me, I played E3 first and then went back to E1-2. They still hold a place of honor in my heart next to Escape Velocity.

Lt. Sullust;

Give a search on the forums for a workaround to this problem. DOSBOX works, and I have a reference to how to make this work on my web page. There are other 16/32-bit virtual machines that will work as well.

As to the graphics, I hit Exile I at version 2 first. When I starte Exile II, it was still at version 1. For a while there, until E2v2 came out, I thought the old graphics were meant to be the new graphics.

Yup. Lotta people come here and stay here...

Or come here, leave for a long while, and periodically come back as in my case.

That said, Exile 2 with the Original graphics was my first introduction to this company - heck, to the serious RPG genre as a whole. Seeing even the enhanced versions still fills me with warm nostalgic fuzzies, but that shot of the original, ORIGINAL Ft. Ganrick? Wow.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
It's not like we're addicted. It's more like we enjoy posting here, so we continue to do so. In a lot of ways, this forum is a community. I've met some of my closest friends through these boards, either directly or indirectly.
This.

I know I'm not addicted to the Spiderweb forums. Even if I were, it's not necessarily a bad thing; there are much, much worse addictions out there.

And I for one am glad for the sense of community here. If it weren't for these boards, except for a few times a year when I get together with some friends, I'd practically be a hermit.
Originally Posted By: Little Fyora
I'm just amazed at your joining dates.
Also a good thing, I think. It helps provide a sense of continuity when someone who's been here since the beginning is still hanging around.

Just think: One day, you'll look back and be amazed at how long you've been here. wink

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
It's not like we're addicted. It's more like we enjoy posting here, so we continue to do so. In a lot of ways, this forum is a community. I've met some of my closest friends through these boards, either directly or indirectly.

Absolutely. I can quit anytime- I'm in complete control of my Spiderweb browsing, all of the time! How dare he suggest otherwise!