Even Jeff likes ponies.

Lauren CW

Since I know absolutely nothing about MLP...

The article reminded me of the first time I played At the Gallows - when my party was climbing through the monastery to retrieve the Onyx Scepter. I remember becoming more and more disturbed as I cut down greater and greater numbers of monks... When my party got to the Scepter, and the monastery was destroyed, I nearly called it quits on the scenario. I was playing an escapist fantasy game; it seemed wrong and offensive that my party of heroes could become so morally gray...

And to this day I'm still a bit put off by that part of AtG. It's one of my favorite BoE scenarios, and as a (nominal) adult I recognize that there is such a thing as a necessary evil. Yet part of me insists that such situations are artificial; that one should always look for a better way out. That one should never compromise.

It's a tough choice. How many civilians would have died if, say, the US hadn't bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki (and Tokyo for that matter)? How many died because we did?

On the one hand, you have the naive insistence that it really is possible to always be in the right... And on the other, you have the fetishization of the necessary evil - the glorification of "doing what needs to be done" common in military SF stories. (See Footfall by Niven and Pournelle for a classic example.) I think that, when you get down to it, both are dangerous. We tread a narrow road.

Anyway, before I stop spouting longwinded drivel, I'm going to thank Mr. Vogel (and likewise Stareye, whoever and wherever he is) for creating games that actually make the player think, "Hey, am I really doing the right thing here?" Even if it's only for a minute. Fun entertainment is good, but unsettling entertainment is healthier, if you get my drift.

I love playing games/reading stories where your morals are called into question. It makes it feel way more immersive, and it adds so much fun plot.

For instance,

Arbu in Fallout: Equestria. Does murdering an entire town become justified in that the townsponies were cannibals? That they tricked you into eating your own kind? Does the fact that you killed filly's parents in front of them change anything? What is the limit between good and evil? At what point does the thirst for justice and vengeance place you in the camp of those you are fighting?

Edited by Arancaytar
Is it bad that every example I have come up for any literary element has come from that story

Anything in excess is bad. A little dark chocolate is good for you (right, or has that been proven false), too much and you get fat. Nothing wrong with having a beer every now and then, but you've a problem if you get shitfaced drunk every day.

I'll admit it, I do on occasion take the pony thing a bit far. But, depressing and strange as it sounds, the show has worked wonders for me. I won't go into details for various reasons. Isn't it amazing, though, how something that doesn't seem a big deal can have life-changing effects?

Originally Posted By: Homage
As awesome as it would be to have Brony Jeff, I doubt it is the case.

It wouldn't be awesome, but Jeff does at least seem to know the names of the ponies (or Spike, at least), and if it were just a thing I have to ask why he'd choose ponies, and why he'd go to the effort to look up the names of them.

Trenton: Good to see you got past everything needing to be Twilight. tongue

Originally Posted By: RoYaLlY Ponerific TrEnToN
I'm not judging tongue I'm ten times worse than you. EVERYTHING has to be ponies in my life. Not only ponies even. All kind of horses, because horses are majestic creatures!
we have three horses. majestic my ass. Ponies > horses.

I mean i know this sounds absurd but i don't think of MLP:FiM ponies as being anything similar to human world horses/ponies.

Originally Posted By: Crasylae-ttle Thing Called Love
Trenton: Good to see you got past everything needing to be Twilight. tongue

Yes, everything is so much better when you append "Sparkle" to that smile

I dunno, as a member of The Herd, it's hard to gauge what pony knowledge is common on the outside. Is Jeff's knowledge just what the average bloke knows? Is it more? aaaaaaa!

@Sylae

The ponies in MLP:FiM ARE nothing like human world ponies. They are SO much better.

Also, as Fallout: Equestria is one of the better literary works of this century, using it as an example for literary elements is totally okay.

@Dikiyoba

That implies that there is a wrong age to enjoy the show. This is false.

laugh

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Don't forget that Jeff has kids who are about the right age to enjoy the show.

^This.

I can currently tell you anything you would ever want to know about The Winx Club, Spongebob, Phineas & Ferb, Johnny Test, Kick Buttowski and a slew of other currently running cartoon shows. Not because I enjoy watching these shows, per say, but because my kids do. And they seem to really enjoy watching reruns too. So no worries if I miss it the first time, I'll have tens more chances to catch the episode.

Originally Posted By: tyrtix
It's only a matter of perceptions: sliths are too cute to seem a threat for someone, face it! You woould'nt have any doubt if the eggs were these, don't you?
http://monstrositywithin.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/burning-eggs.png

You mean sloths, right? Sliths are in no way cute unless you're a parcelmouth(b.sp.), they might be pretty or shiny (or dangerous or magnificent), but in no way cute.

Originally Posted By: Andraste
What about a combination of ponies and morality?
Am I the only person who thinks the colour palette for the D3 secret level is much more attractive than the dark greyed/browned out stuff you normally see in games?

('Attractive' is not quite the right word -- 'lookable' or 'watchable', maybe.)

Originally Posted By: Y? Bcaus, IDK he's on 3rd & IDC
Originally Posted By: tyrtix
It's only a matter of perceptions: sliths are too cute to seem a threat for someone, face it! You woould'nt have any doubt if the eggs were these, don't you?

You mean sloths, right? Sliths are in no way cute unless you're a parcelmouth(b.sp.), they might be pretty or shiny (or dangerous or magnificent), but in no way cute.

I'm pretty sure tyrtix meant what was typed here. Personally, I thought the ones in the Gnass nursery to be very cute, indeed. The ones in Sss-Thsss home cavern, not so much.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Originally Posted By: Andraste
What about a combination of ponies and morality?
Am I the only person who thinks the colour palette for the D3 secret level is much more attractive than the dark greyed/browned out stuff you normally see in games?

I haven't gotten to the secret level yet, nor do I know how, but I've found that most of the color palette in D3 is pretty light and easy to see.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Personally, I thought the ones in the Gnass nursery to be very cute, indeed. The ones in Sss-Thsss home cavern, not so much.

What? You mean the ones trying to rip your arms off or the ones trying to gobble your foot from the heel? The Gnass nursery pretty much (for me) depicts a picture of sliths being crocodile or alligator bipeds rather than lizardmen, gecko-men or even kimodo dragon bipeds (especially when you consider the elongated snouts in the pics). If they were more lizard like they would have been plucking insects out of the air.

Yes I think Jeff reads the forums and the topics that come up affects his brain.

I'm thinking of a certain other thread: "Who's your favorite pony?" created 04/08/12. --(Aka you'll be punished with a rainbow beam if you question the ponies).

http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubb...pony#Post262947

P.S. all of these ponies and colors and rainbows are giving me 1980s nostalgia since these things were still on cartoons way back then. What's next? Care Bears make a come back?

Originally Posted By: Gabriel's Horn
P.S. all of these ponies and colors and rainbows are giving me 1980s nostalgia since these things were still on cartoons way back then.
The new MLP (generation 4) is nothing like the older shows. I watched an older-generation episode once and died a little inside. MLP:FiM is a hella lot more than tea parties and yay everyone happy and stuff. There's actual characters with actual character flaws, not more of the yay everyone happy and no problems crap. A great example of this in action is the season two finale. Nothing even remotely similar to that would have been allowed near the earlier-generation shows.

Another thing that I have found different is that they put a lot of allusions and hidden things in the show. It's like the Simpsons, where you have two separate levels of stuff going on. I could go on, but it's 12:30 and I am still in normal human sleep cycles from school happening frown

I know is there anything more boring than watching people, er ponies, do everyday things?

I thought the ponies did go on adventures sometimes though. But I mean waaay back in the eighties. Back to the original, I guess generation 1, ponies cartoon. My Little Pony (TV series) This was before they moved to the suburbs and became boring. It has been 2, almost 3, decades since I've seen it however so I don't remember how mature they were or how much attitude they had.

There was also a movie "My Little Pony: The Movie" where their magical land was being destroyed by a sludge monster. I never finished watching the movie though so I don't know if the shmoze or whatever it was ate everyone or not. I assume not because it took place before and was an intro to the first cartoon series.

I meant sliths, precisely the episode when you go in the first nursery and you have the chance to destroy the nursery and the eggs, starting the first Avernum Abortion Clinic, because it's that is what made the rewiewer mad, but hey, if were alien eggs, surely he didn't feel the same... ehhehe

Anyway, sliths are cute, and i wish to see a cartoon like My Little Slith...

Originally Posted By: Homage
The new MLP (generation 4) is nothing like the older shows.

Since I haven't watched TV in years, I had no idea there was a new version. The shows I remembered did not seem like a promising basis for a new series, so I assumed that some website had simply revived them as camp. On that basis I had a hard time understanding why a thread on them could run to many pages.

The current MLP sounds like something I might well really like, but there is no space for it in my life. I have this idea that when I'm retired I'll collect all the good shows from the previous forty years or so and watch them then, when the unerring judgement of history has sifted out the chaff for me. That's my excuse.

@tyrtix.

I thought it was more a question of "Is genocide justifiable in a war of survival." I think most people here are offended by the concept in real life, but I wonder how many did opt to destroy the nest out of the sense of "If I don't kill them now, then someone will have to kill them later after they have killed more of us." This is a very conflicted and personal dilemna, that no one can truthfully answer until they are confronted with it themselves.

I'm OK with your cartoon idea, just as long as it is not purple and sings. wink The little dinosaurs series of movies were very cute.

Yeah, I'm with Dintiradan; my main reason for smashing the eggs is "man, I won't get that fight (and the cool drops) from it if I don't kill these babies... better get smashin''.

Of course, in the real world I wouldn't dream of smashing those eggs unless I was sure that I could take on whatever defenders were spawned as a result.

Well, so could literally everything. It's not really useful to the discussion though. What is relevant is how choosing to powergame over playing the role of the dopey sword guy removes the moral centre of the egg-smashing. I really think that most people would be cool with smashing the eggs, and wouldn't even consider the consequences of it. I know that when I played these games in their first iteration, many moons ago, my approach was "hey, if I do this, I'll get this in return". Ethics and baby-killing did not enter my thoughts at all.

(Edit: Which I suppose is a pretty damning reflection on me as a kid.)

I would not take it as far as that. Being a kid is being a kid, and I would be a poor adult if I thought otherwise. Life is a learning experience, that will hopefully continue for a very long time indeed.

Edit: Just for honesty's sake, I would sometimes smash the eggs because I knew it draw out more of the enemy to deal with, and sometimes I would not because it felt so wrong. I always felt soiled when I did. I said that this is a very conflicted decision.

Seeing that from an old rpg point of wiew, the "smash or not to smash" question, for me is neearly always smash, because i play as a lawful character most of the time (this suits my behavior better than others).

Questioning the game's moral choices by saying that: you have a choice to make a very evil act, or not committing it, so the game that proposte that question is evil, i believe it's silly, at best...

Tirtyx, Beer with Motor Oil,

You are correct that these are just games, meant for entertainment. You can take what you want out of them. Play them sans conscience if you will; that is your choice. But I think that if your browse these forums for just a little bit, you will find many, many threads discussing various social issues that have been raised because of some subplot or interaction that Jeff has encoded into these games.

Tirtyx, you mention some reviewer likening the slith nest incident as an abortion clinic. Obviously, someone took more out of the game than just a game. But there is nothing wrong with taking it at face value.

Sorry, didn't meant that harehunter, i had only said that it's pretty silly to believe that, on the basis of few events in a game, the producer of the game is sadistic, and that the game is "evil"... My "abortion clinic" sentence was only sarcasm (i'm italian, so maybe i'll write something wrong, sorry), but my point of wiew is that an action has to be judged in the context that generate this action, and not only as a single event, so, for example, no one can find the alien egg a "cute baby" about to born, but anyone will incinerate immediately them, without thinking 2 times on that. Same for sliths: it's easy to think that the action to destroy the nursery has to be seen as an act for free the underworld from some enemies, not so much different that to destroy chitrath eggs.

(by the way, i lurk in the forum from about 2009....lurker above..)

Oops, I missed the sarcasm. I make that mistake often. Your point about the alien eggs and chitrachs is well taken. It would be reasonable and rational to see those as a potential threat that must be dealt with sooner or later, and it would be easier sooner, especially considering their alien nature.

I guess my attitudes are the result of having served in the army.