Filter bubbles

VCH

As if you don't do equally annoying things, Slarty. tongue

Any way, the worst thing is that you wouldn't even know what you're missing out on. I'd never really considered that before. Overall, personalization isn't a huge evil, as it can be useful. But I think we could all live without it. For the record I'm considering a switch to the web-browser "Duckduckgo".

Click to reveal.. (<<<Bad Rabbit>>>)
Did you hear about the gigolo who became a poet?
His career went from bed to verse.

Cairo Jim; You know I can't resist a straight-line.

This is indeed something that needs to be warded against. I am probably the closest thing to a moderate as anyone else here (now where is that chart that posted our survey results?) But I don't come here to chat with other moderates who would do nothing but reinforce my own opinions, I come here to learn about the different view points that come at me from all other sides (thank you Slarty, thank you Lilith) (there are not just two sides to any argument. Life is not paper i.e. 2-dimensional, but rather it is polyhedral i.e. n-dimensional).

I had no objection to idea of merchants pre-sorting my browses for products I may have an interest in. But that works only when I interact with that one merchant.

I have noticed that Google has attached a service to my OS that is constantly calling back home with information that I have no clue about. I check for that service frequently and I kill it. Now I know what it is for, and I am most thoroughly outraged. I don't want my access filtered by anyone but me.

This is indeed insidious. You don't have to be a liberal or a conservative to see the danger this poses to our democracy.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
It's well established that all-caps topic titles cloud the topic list and I am hardly the first mod to edit them. I'm not sure if you're trying to provoke an argument or what, Fnord Cola, but please don't.

I think what happened was that he didn't notice your edit message, and was therefore confused at why anybody in the thread would be addressing you.

OK, gonna sketch out what I think FnordCola's thought process was.

1) VCH makes a reply addressing Slarty. Slarty has not posted in the thread up to that point, but has edited the first post.

2) FC does not notice the edit message. FC therefore does not understand why VCH would make a reply addressing Slarty.

3) FC posts "Slarty?", as a request to VCH for clarification on why VCH made a reply addressing Slarty -- not, as you apparently interpreted it, as a request to Slarty to elaborate on the annoying things alluded to in the quoted post. He possibly thinks that VCH intended to address Randomizer and had mistaken him somehow for Slarty, since Randomizer was the only other person to have posted in the thread prior to VCH's reply.

Clear now?

That's how I read this, as well, although I was confused by

Originally Posted By: Thin Gypsy Thief
I constantly confuse the two of you as well. It's the avatar, for some reason.

as Randomizer doesn't HAVE an avatar that I can see.

Also, this thread has now significantly more to do with the confusion that the original topic. I apologize for my role in that.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Click to reveal.. (<<<Bad Rabbit>>>)
Did you hear about the gigolo who became a poet?
His career went from bed to verse.

Cairo Jim; You know I can't resist a straight-line.

Is it just me, or is every time I read this, my head says it in a scottish accent. I am somewhat amused.